Author Topic: New editor in the submission process. WTF!  (Read 3815 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
New editor in the submission process. WTF!
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:56:09 PM »
I went to submit my next pre-order today, and the first thing I noticed was the description was totally mangled into one paragraph.

Then I noticed the editor seems to have changed.

So I fixed it and submitted.

The link just arrived, and what do I find?

TRIPLE spacing instead of a blank line. And double space where there was no blank line.

Serious WTF KDP????

I've taken out all the spacings now, and where there wasn't any, copied to notepad and back in case copying from Word left codes in there the editor uses.

But it looks to me like they just took the crap editor from Author Central, and put it in the submission process.

Seriously KDP? WTF?

Anyone else had something in progress mangled?

And yes, I just checked an existing book, and the whole description is totally f*cked. So if you get forced to fix errors, or need to update the backmatter, now you have to totally redo the description as well.

:Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down: :Down:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: angela

notthatamanda

Re: New editor in the submission process. WTF!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
Someone else had the spacing problem not too long ago. RC maybe? Or maybe this is just a pre caffeine hallucination.

I'll go check and see if all of my book are back on my author page and what the descriptions look like. 

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
Someone else had the spacing problem not too long ago. RC maybe? Or maybe this is just a pre caffeine hallucination.

I'll go check and see if all of my book are back on my author page and what the descriptions look like.

This is NOT on the book page, unless you resubmit your book.

This is in the submission editor, and if you resubmit a book without fixing the formatting, then your product page will look terrible.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 12:26:10 AM »

Yep, I documented the tool did not function the same every time.  KDP Support told me they were "working on fixing" the problems with descriptions. That was months ago...

Cheers,
R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 12:30:59 AM »
Yep, I documented the tool did not function the same every time.  KDP Support told me they were "working on fixing" the problems with descriptions. That was months ago...

I didn't have this problem with the last book 6 weeks ago.

I guess I got migrated to the 'new' editor recently.

I even tried to use the 'new AC' and totally gave up even trying to find the new book once I added it, let alone edit the description.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »
Now I'm getting really pissed off.  :HB :rant :evil2:

2nd response from them, and it appears they can't read english, or I'm only getting a bot.

The editor is automatically double spacing after a paragraph.

And since the standard these days is single line points, this means everything gets spaced out really badly.

And it is the same editor from Author Central, which has always been hopeless.

I don't get it. Amazon tell you to be professional in your description, and then they give you a substandard editor which buggers up all the formatting. And refuse to listen when you point out it doesn't do the job.

:tap

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
So I got a response to my email.

The new editor has bullet points on it, so I used them in the hope it would solve the problem.

Then I get this:

This is Ayanda from Amazon KDP support, I hope you are keeping well.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

You entered the product description incorrectly, as stated in the email bullet points are not allowed.

I provided you with a list of what is not allowed so you can make the corrections according to the guidelines.

We prohibit including any of the following information in bullet point format.

To fix it you will need to re-enter the information through your KDP Bookshelf:

To change the description of your book:
1. Sign in to: https://kdp.amazon.com
2. Go to your Bookshelf and click the ellipsis button ("…") under the Kindle eBook Actions menu next to your book
3. Select "Edit eBook Details"
4. Under the Description section, make the necessary edits
5. Go to the bottom of the page and click "Save and Continue"
6. Once you reach the book pricing & promotion page, click the publish button at the bottom of the page

To get more information about tags, and learn how to use them, see our Help page:
https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/G201189630

If bullet points are not allowed, why does the editor have 2 types of bullet point buttons on it?  :Down:

****. Amazon is staffed by ****.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
I can't really offer any advice, just know that I join you in your "unfreaking believable they really have to work hard to be this incompetent" sentiment.

Hope it gets resolved.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 10:01:28 PM »
I tried something different this time.

Going back to paragraphs.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »
There used to be a way to make an epub do the spacing right if you put a space in after the period, before the paragraph return. So if you are out of ideas, there's another one. Sorry for your troubles.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 12:57:06 AM »
And finally from KDP:

Checking the previous correspondences and this email, I understand you are concerned as the editor present in the description is adding extra line spaces whenever you type in the description into it.

I would like to confirm that we have detected the issue that you mentioned with the editor adding extra spacing and our technical teams are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience you faced.

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 03:51:42 AM »
There's a line from Monty Python that about covers this situation. Something about a bird...

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 10:43:54 PM »
So I figured out a work around for now.

There's this button call 'source'. Click it, and you get the source code for the description. Put what you used to have in there, with the usual html code.

Then DON'T do anything except save the page and move on to the next one.

If you click the button again, it reverts to no formatting. So don't do that.

The problem is, as soon as you start over on that page, it will revert it again. So keep your formatted descriptions in a file, so you can copy and paste them back into the source section if you need to resubmit the book again.

Pain, but at least what comes out looks better.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 02:41:09 AM »
I had to go through the kindlepeunur site to get mine up.

thanks for giving a work around!!!!

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
FYI - Here in the US something changed with the KDP description field.

When I turned OFF my VPN, the page changed and I received a description field WITH HTML OPTIONS!

Yep, buttons and source reference. 

Rudimentary? Yes. Better than silly little text box, you bet!

Cheers,
R.C.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:13:40 AM by R. C. »

RPatton

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
I like the new description box. It's a WYSIWYG instead of having to rely on code to get the formatting perfect, it's easy to fix it in the text editor. I had to go in and update a book's description and it took a few seconds compared to the few minutes of writing it with HTML in another tool to check the formatting then bringing it over to the KDP dash.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »
I like the new description box. It's a WYSIWYG instead of having to rely on code to get the formatting perfect, it's easy to fix it in the text editor..

Except it doesn't do what WYG.

It adds in line feeds, so single spaced becomes double, and if there's a blank line, it becomes 3 blank lines.

The editor doesn't actually work.

And have you looked at your previous books? The descriptions have been rendered into a single paragraph now, and if you just upload a change, and submit, you lose all your formatting.

I don't mind a WYSIWYG editor, but this one doesn't work!

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 10:43:28 PM »
I like the new description box. It's a WYSIWYG instead of having to rely on code to get the formatting perfect, it's easy to fix it in the text editor..

It adds in line feeds, so single spaced becomes double, and if there's a blank line, it becomes 3 blank lines.

And have you looked at your previous books? The descriptions have been rendered into a single paragraph now, and if you just upload a change, and submit, you lose all your formatting.

After checking, the old descriptions are a mess. They have been have been rendered into a single paragraph. 

After (re)formatting the descriptions correctly, I am not seeing issues line spacing.

Cheers,
R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 10:45:10 PM »
After (re)formatting the descriptions correctly, I am not seeing issues line spacing.

Is that in the editor, or on the product page after it updates?

If in the editor, exit the book, then go back in and see what it does.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 10:59:47 PM »

Is that in the editor, or on the product page after it updates?

If in the editor, exit the book, then go back in and see what it does.

Still checking, here in the US (For me?) the update takes a few hours.

Cheers,
R.C.

RPatton

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 02:20:45 AM »

After checking, the old descriptions are a mess. They have been have been rendered into a single paragraph. 

Cheers,
R.C.

I'm not seeing a mess either. In the US and UK stores everything looks as it should be. Old descriptions not so much... Ugh, I don't even want to think about that, but what I am seeing in the dash is exactly what shows up on the store page.

A single space between paragraphs shows up as a single line break, not a double or triple line break. I remember with the old editor that you had to get two line breaks in to see a space, and this new editor treats a single line break as a new paragraph.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 02:25:11 AM »
I'm not seeing a mess either. In the US and UK stores everything looks as it should be. Old descriptions not so much... Ugh, I don't even want to think about that, but what I am seeing in the dash is exactly what shows up on the store page.

When did you last submit a book?

notthatamanda

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 02:33:24 AM »
Some of my books lost the blank line between paragraphs, some of them didn't. I really can't be bothered to mess with it. For the people with lots more books, who are actually making decent income on Amazon, oh lordy what a GDPITA.  :HB

RPatton

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 05:04:54 AM »

When did you last submit a book?

Just updated a description yesterday. Went through and what I see on the store page is exactly what I see on the KDP dash.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 11:59:13 AM »
Just updated a description yesterday. Went through and what I see on the store page is exactly what I see on the KDP dash.

Maybe they've fixed it then.

I'll resubmit mine and see what happens.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Just resubmitted the 2 buggered up book descriptions.

As far as I can see, nothing has changed.

Whatever you do int the WYSIWYG has the formatting removed as soon as you move on.

If you put everything in the Source side of the editor, and then go back to the WYSIWYG, all the formatting is removed again.

Here's hoping by adding to Source, and then clicking straight through to the next submission form, it might actually retain what it is supposed to look like.

This time I tried my original formatting. The partial formatting seemed to work from source last time, so hoping for the full this time.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 07:43:41 PM »
Totally NOT fixed.

My re-submissions were squashed up into a single paragraph without even a space between sentences.

LilyBLily

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 02:06:54 AM »
Bummer!  :shrug  :HB

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 02:12:35 AM »
Doing them through AC produced a better result. Even with that flaky editor.

But that's only for the US store, nowhere else.

I'm not even game to look at the other stores, since I can't fix them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »
Curiously, I found only the paperback version of one of my books seemed to be affected. (Okay, I didn't want to look at all the other books but eventually I guess I'll have to.)

I brought in a whole new blurb. Tried the source button for bolding a couple of words. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Yep. This is really stupid.

antares

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »
Mister Ellis, I checked the descriptions of nine of your books at amazon.com/us. Eight of them looked good, but three had one sentence to a paragraph. Imperial Spacemage, Book Eight was a mess. No space after a period.

FWIW my offerings looked fine. No problems.

I wish you a swift resolution to your problems.

Doing them through AC produced a better result. Even with that flaky editor.

But that's only for the US store, nowhere else.

I'm not even game to look at the other stores, since I can't fix them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2021, 10:22:43 PM »
Checked the book this morning. The blurb is a mess. All scrunched up into one giant paragraph. Other copy that I did not alter has the usual words crunched together that typically is an Author Central issue.

I'll keep working on it. Next I guess I try Author Central. I note that Amazon called it a RichTextEditor, so possibly I need to use an .rtf instead of a .doc as my source.

notthatamanda

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2021, 10:34:08 PM »
Where do you go on Author Central now to edit the blurb? I can't find it. I did note on author central it said my latest book has 1 editions.

LilyBLily

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 11:01:18 PM »
I went to View All Books, then to the paperback edition, then to Edit Book Details (U.S. only). If AC doesn't have your book you should claim it or add it, whatever the process is. 

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »
I went to View All Books, then to the paperback edition, then to Edit Book Details (U.S. only). If AC doesn't have your book you should claim it or add it, whatever the process is. 

Do a search for the book. Click the book. Click the book again, just because, and then there is an edit button.

notthatamanda

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2021, 02:31:21 AM »
Okay thank you. The click the book again just because did not occur to me.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 05:13:22 AM »
I thought I'd chime in with my most recent experience setting up a new title in KDP yesterday.

I've been using Kindlepreneur's description generator to create my blurbs https://kindlepreneur.com/amazon-book-description-generator/ for a while now, and I used it again yesterday. It went through as smoothly as always, with everything I wanted and nothing I didn't want and looks perfect on the book page. Make of that what you will.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
And they've changed the submission process again.

This time when I went to change the release date, as well as mangling the exiting description, when I deleted it and copied in the source version, it refused to accept it with big red bars around the box.

So I've entered the source in the normal editor side, and dread to think what they'll do with it on the product page.

Now they're asking for which market place you expect to sell the most books on. Why don't they know already? What is this for?

And now they're showing the pricing info for all marketplaces.

No idea what these changes are for.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 02:10:25 AM »
Wonder of wonders, the source was formatted correctly.

So forget about the wysiwyg buttons, and just use text with the html tags, but assembled in notepad to remove any formatting from another source.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »
The paperback description field has always had this issue, going back years. So does the editor on the old Author page, where you could update the description (only) for ebooks and paperbacks.

For paperbacks I use the basic editor but instead of hitting return I just insert <br> tags, inline.

Sounds like I'll need to do the same thing now for ebooks.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »
They seem to have fixed some of it now.

Last update I had to do, the existing description was intact.

So it looks like you need to assemble it in notepad so there's no chance of hidden formatting, use the html tags, and copy it in as source, then let it convert.