Author Topic: Is there a decent instructional for doing paperback covers in KDP?  (Read 8548 times)

Vijaya

Re: Is there a decent instructional for doing paperback covers in KDP?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2021, 06:32:39 AM »
Wow! Look at them, all lined up! Beautiful!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Wonder

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
They look fantastic! Well done. There's something magical about a row of print books. :)

alhawke

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2021, 12:00:23 PM »
You didn't just publish a paperback, you published a library. Looks awesome!  :clap:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
Hope you get lots of sales after all the hard work  :)

I might if Amazon ever completes listing them. The first 7 should be available now. Its been over 4 days now since I pushed the button on them. But while paperback is listed, there is still no price or buy button. I guess 72 hours really means 72 business hours.

I'm not expecting anything major. But I've no idea how much money I've been leaving on the table by not having them in the past.

Next thing is to consider putting them out on D2D as well, to get them wide. But I'll wait and see if any sell at all first.

ETA: Interesting: The first ones are available in Australia already, but not the US which I specified as the primary market. And they seem to have broken the link between US and AUS store on book 3.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:30:56 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »
Just got this from KDP, which makes no sense at all.

We checked your files and found issues you need to fix before your book can be published on KDP:
Cover

Remove spine text from your cover file. To have spine text, books need at least 79 pages.

How can you not have something along whatever spine there is telling you what the book is?

That makes no sense at all. Especially as what I have there works just fine.

Looks like I'm getting 3 more of these.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
How come no-one's mentioned the cover nazis before?

Now they've rejected a cover which got to 132 in the paid store.

:tap

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »
So fixed the covers.

One they rejected because the author name was a tiny bit indistinct, but I managed to use Photoshop to change it just enough to bring the name out of the background without changing the look at all.

Most of the rest it was a matter of removing the spine text. In one case it was about shrinking the spine text slightly.

Still no movement on my first 7 books. All still have a paperback box, but no price. They did say 3 days to look at it, so hopefully that's in the next 24 hours.

Next question:

Having done them all for Amazon and so far have crickets, should I also put them wide through D2D, even though this means a second set of ISBNs?

Is it actually worth the effort to have paperbacks wide, when all the books are in KU?

alhawke

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2021, 05:08:19 PM »
Next question:

Having done them all for Amazon and so far have crickets, should I also put them wide through D2D, even though this means a second set of ISBNs?

Is it actually worth the effort to have paperbacks wide, when all the books are in KU?
A paperback ISBN is a paperback ISBN. You can use the same ISBN wide as you do for Amazon.

You are supposed to have a different ISBN corresponding to the paperback from your ebook. You did that, right?

As far as D2D wide, I'd definitely do it if I was in your shoes. This is a missed opportunity otherwise as it's a large market out there. You're restricted with KU for your ebook but not the paperbacks. That being said, consider in your decision that most Indie paperbacks sold are sold through the Zon. But this is kind of like ebook KU vs wide. It's like 20% wide sales, 20% through the Amazon store for me and most authors (so I've heard). That 20% you'd be completely missing out if you only do Amazon. The majority of sales wide for me, I suspect gathered from ranking (though not confirmed as Ingram doesn't note source) is Barnes and Noble.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2021, 05:28:59 PM »
A paperback ISBN is a paperback ISBN. You can use the same ISBN wide as you do for Amazon.

You are supposed to have a different ISBN corresponding to the paperback from your ebook. You did that, right?

Both are Amazon ones. For the Paperbacks, Amazon posted a message they couldn't be used anywhere else.

The eBooks never had one.

As far as D2D wide, I'd definitely do it if I was in your shoes. This is a missed opportunity otherwise as it's a large market out there. You're restricted with KU for your ebook but not the paperbacks. That being said, consider in your decision that most Indie paperbacks sold are sold through the Zon. But this is kind of like ebook KU vs wide. It's like 20% wide sales, 20% through the Amazon store for me and most authors (so I've heard). That 20% you'd be completely missing out if you only do Amazon. The majority of sales wide for me, I suspect gathered from ranking (though not confirmed as Ingram doesn't note source) is Barnes and Noble.

I was thinking along those lines.

It would just mean 2 sets of books out there with separate ISBNs, since D2D also do a free one of theirs.

I'm not sure that matters, does it?

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

Both are Amazon ones. For the Paperbacks, Amazon posted a message they couldn't be used anywhere else.

It would just mean 2 sets of books out there with separate ISBNs, since D2D also do a free one of theirs.

[/quote

Bookshops order by the ISBN. I think you might have a problem if you use different ones.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »

Bookshops order using the ISBN. You might run into a problem if you use different ones.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
Bookshops order using the ISBN. You might run into a problem if you use different ones.

Bookshops are extended distribution aren't they?

Not doing extended on Amazon. Wasn't thinking of doing that on D2D either.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »

I'm just thinking about a customer going into a bookshop wanting to order your book  :) :)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2021, 08:07:13 PM »

I'm just thinking about a customer going into a bookshop wanting to order your book  :) :)

Honestly, how cool would that be?

But no. I'm a total unknown outside of KU and my own mailing list. And some limited author circles.

As much as that would be cool, I seriously doubt it happens.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »

But no. I'm a total unknown outside of KU and my own mailing list. And some limited author circles.

But you never know ...  grint

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2021, 08:15:19 PM »
But you never know ...  grint

True.

But I've also heard all the problems people had with discounting extended distribution and ending up with no royalty at all.

Not sure if D2D is any better with this, but will look at it if I do start doing them there.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:01 PM »

There's a bookstore in Brisbane, of all places, which has actually ordered my paperbacks and displayed them - they tweeted out a picture. Lord knows why since I'm not a well known author either. But here's the catch... Bookstores order from IngramSpark, which is where I have my paperbacks for extended distribution and hardcovers.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »
Bookstores order from IngramSpark, which is where I have my paperbacks for extended distribution and hardcovers.

Ingram Spark demands an ABN from Australians.

I refuse to get one, since that automatically changes me from an artist to a business for tax purposes.

So IS is out for me.

LilyBLily

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »
Bookstores order from IngramSpark, which is where I have my paperbacks for extended distribution and hardcovers.

Ingram Spark demands an ABN from Australians.

I refuse to get one, since that automatically changes me from an artist to a business for tax purposes.

So IS is out for me.

That's fascinating. In the U.S., there is no distinction between an artist and a sole proprietorship (unincorporated) business for tax purposes; income is income and the distinction made here is whether this is a hobby (not for profit), or a business (for profit). If it's a hobby, you can't take a loss although you can zero out with expenses. If it's a business, you can take a loss (against other income). This is significant because most small personal businesses lose money and fail, so people are taking losses against their other taxable income such as a salary or a pension. That's why small businesses have a high audit rate because their losses are an easy way to lower taxes. 

Check with D2D regarding an ISBN for a paperback. It's my understanding that you can use the Amazon paper ISBN for other print but Amazon is listed as the publisher. That is toxic if you hope for physical bookstore sales. You are correct that Amazon extended distribution is a total ripoff in terms of the tiny little royalty you get, so you definitely don't want to choose that.

alhawke

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2021, 12:29:47 AM »
I'm a bit confused, Tim. Did you get your own ISBN through Amazon? If that's the case, they technically own the ISBN and you can't use it anywhere else. Your recourse is to take it down and republish it with your own ISBN. I'm getting a nervous sense of legalize though when I tell you this and that makes my advice a bit wary. Researching ISBNs can give you a really big headache--or boredom. For instance, there are legal differences in ISBN in other countries. In the US, you have to buy them if you use them. Not so in Canada and, I'd think, in your home in Australia.

Could you use a different ISBN? Why not? The problem is some book stores will search your books by ISBN and if they come across the one with less sales, or an old summary, or some confusion on book ID, whatever ... it could be an issue. It's a fairly small issue though, I'd think. You use a separate ISBN for ebooks anyway. D2D might provide an optional ISBN for paperbacks, but I'm not sure. I know they offer this for ebooks.

Let me tell you what I do, if it'd help: I use Ingram for paperbacks wide. I have ONE ISBN for Ingram and Amazon. I bought the ISBNs through Bowker. I have my own distinct ISBN under my own publisher not affiliated with Amazon.

Should you use D2D? Are you committed? I use D2D for Apple ebook distribution. I haven't fully researched them for paperbacks. As far as wide distribution and Ingram, I've admittedly had problems with Ingram but they have their fingers in the most stores worldwide. They have a monopoly on paperbacks, essentially. They are the Amazon of paperbacks. My blood pressure has suffered using Ingram but then it's suffered through Amazon too.

The main thorn for me with publishing paperbacks wide paperbacks is formatting a different cover. Other than that, I use the same pdf file in both Ingram and Amazon. Hopefully all this helps.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2021, 12:43:51 AM »
I'm a bit confused, Tim. Did you get your own ISBN through Amazon? If that's the case, they technically own the ISBN and you can't use it anywhere else.

That's what they said.

The main reason I did it through Amazon was because the books were automatically linked to the eBooks. No hassles getting them linked.

D2D also have a free ISBN, and as long as I don't tick the Amazon box, I should be fine.

Given how much of my readership is KU, the wide paperbacks will probably do better. But I'm guessing.

alhawke

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2021, 05:53:13 AM »
D2D also have a free ISBN, and as long as I don't tick the Amazon box, I should be fine.

Given how much of my readership is KU, the wide paperbacks will probably do better. But I'm guessing.
D2D's pretty new on the paperback scene. Let us know if it's a painless process and you get success (yeah, and with your KU fans and the # of books, I think you will  :)). Good luck!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »
So D2D is now out.

They don't allow you to select where your Paperback goes, and since mine are already on Amazon, that would put them on there twice.

Also, they pay significantly less. I upped the price by $3 on my first book, and it still paid less than the lower price on Amazon.

Disappointing.

D2D - strike.
IS - strike.

Where else is there to do paperbacks wide from?

Eric Thomson

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2021, 12:59:16 AM »
There's Lulu, although I have no idea what their terms are.

alhawke

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2021, 01:36:43 AM »
You could look into Barnes and Noble direct too. It'd only be the sales in the US, ?I think, but they make up a large slice of the pie for paperback sales other than Amazon.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2021, 01:42:38 AM »
You could look into Barnes and Noble direct too. It'd only be the sales in the US, ?I think, but they make up a large slice of the pie for paperback sales other than Amazon.

I had a quick look at them, and predictably, they don't do the size I did on Amazon. Which would mean redoing everything. *sigh*

alhawke

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2021, 02:06:33 AM »
I've hired three cover artists so far. Two of them have had to give me two different covers: one for Ingram and one for Amazon. One somehow gave me a universal cover file--I don't know how. I think you'll find that the majority of the time your cover's going to have to be a different file to fit their specifications.  :icon_sad:

If you want to try the easy route, just click the expanded distribution with Amazon. It's not ideal as most books stores are snooty about selling a paperback from Amazon, but it'll get you in some wide markets.

RPatton

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2021, 02:16:53 AM »
I've hired three cover artists so far. Two of them have had to give me two different covers: one for Ingram and one for Amazon. One somehow gave me a universal cover file--I don't know how. I think you'll find that the majority of the time your cover's going to have to be a different file to fit their specifications.  :icon_sad:

If you want to try the easy route, just click the expanded distribution with Amazon. It's not ideal as most books stores are snooty about selling a paperback from Amazon, but it'll get you in some wide markets.

An Ingram cover will usually work everywhere. It has to do with the template size. Ingram is exact and I think Amazon's template (not Bookow - Bookow creates an exact template) allows for a 10 page range.

I've found that I can use a cover created from a Bookow template everywhere without any problems (normally, there's always the one off and it's usually due to live space being slightly off).

alhawke

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2021, 07:03:06 AM »
An Ingram cover will usually work everywhere. It has to do with the template size. Ingram is exact and I think Amazon's template (not Bookow - Bookow creates an exact template) allows for a 10 page range.
Hmm. Interesting. It's always a pain to need two files. I really don't know the whole process as I don't create my own covers. A lot of cover artists out there charge a small fee for separate vendors too.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »
I do all my own covers in Photoshop. For paperback, I do the IS first, then download an Amazon template, copy everything over from the IS template save for the template itself, and then it's 90 seconds of adjustments (slight enlargement of the background image and slight placement changes for the text and such) and done. For each book I always have 4 Photoshop files - one for the hardcover jacket, one for the IS paperback, one for the Amazon paperback and one for the ebook. I also have four interior files - one for the hardcover and one for the paperback because of different ISBNs - one for the Amazon ebook and one for the non-Amazon ebook. It's part of my publishing process. Right now, I'm waiting for my proofreader to finish my latest, but the covers are all done and ready, and once I mark up the master interior file - the hardcover version - it gets copied three times and adjusted for ISBNs and links at the back, which takes about fifteen minutes.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »
Next question, thinking about B&N.

I have 5 series now complete. At times I go back to the idea of turning them into a single series. Numbered in the order they should be read, which is close to the order written.

Is this a good strategy for B&N?

I did have the first and second series on there as eBooks for about 6 months when I was wide in 2017. But they will have been long forgotten now.

The universe is now 45 books long, including the 2 novellas, and the 4 story prequel half novel.

The idea is then, to number them 1 to 45 on the spines. Probably overlay the covers with a thin banner for the universe name, covering over the existing series name and number. I guess also changing the front matter to the same, but leaving a reference to having been previously published as the series name and number.

But will this work on B&N?

Or is the 5 series a better idea?

The thing is, wide I'm a total unknown, and the first 2 series never did very well anyway, so are long forgotten.

And this is paperbacks only.

Comments? Advice?

alhawke

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2021, 06:00:25 AM »
As a reader I'd be less likely to buy your paperbacks if they were all one large series. If you keep them split up in five series, readers can pick and choose the first books and not feel like they'll get lost without reading the prior ones. Many of us can't comment with experience regarding your large volume of books.

B&N versus Amazon shouldn't matter much. If you sell through B&N, you're still selling online anyway. The only way to get on B&N bookstore shelves is by selling over 1000 books. So what works for Amazon should work for B&N.

Again, most choose Ingram because they distribute to small bookstores. I'm not sure the range of sellers of B&N outside their own store (though most paperbacks I sell outside of Amazon are B&N).

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis

RPatton

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2021, 06:11:28 AM »
As a reader I'd be less likely to buy your paperbacks if they were all one large series. If you keep them split up in five series, readers can pick and choose the first books and not feel like they'll get lost without reading the prior ones. Many of us can't comment with experience regarding your large volume of books.

B&N versus Amazon shouldn't matter much. If you sell through B&N, you're still selling online anyway. The only way to get on B&N bookstore shelves is by selling over 1000 books. So what works for Amazon should work for B&N.

Again, most choose Ingram because they distribute to small bookstores. I'm not sure the range of sellers of B&N outside their own store (though most paperbacks I sell outside of Amazon are B&N).

I think the chances of getting into BN as an indie through Ingram is better than getting in through BN press. With BN, you have to sell a number of copies before they'll even consider looking at a book. With Ingram, you might be able to convince the community relations manager to grab a few copies to sign and stick on a "local author" table.

As for putting all the books out in one series, I agree with @Allhawke, keep them in their original series. There's a reason a lot of wide authors stick with the three books per series. The smaller chunks are easier to justify buying and give you multiple entry points. Even if all the series take place in the same universe and have multiple cross-overs and could be considered one giant series, the smaller chunks tend to perform better.

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis

cecilia_writer

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2021, 03:24:32 AM »
There's Lulu, although I have no idea what their terms are.
I'm not sure if this was just me, but the last time I tried to get a printed book from Lulu it wouldn't go through their approval process. i''ve used them in the past for odds and ends and they tended to give a better result than e.g. CreateSpace, but their setup process has changed, they don't have as many size options as before and the whole thing just seems quite clunky.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery