Author Topic: Communicating with your market. Does it still work? Did it ever work?  (Read 577 times)

Cabbages and kings

So I just noticed that Amanda Hocking is active on YouTube again and engaging her fans on YouTube.

And I wanted to do a poll about this video.

What are your thoughts on it?

LilyBLily

Re: Communicating with your market. Does it still work? Did it ever work?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
This video is eight or nine years old and talks about how often Hocking posted to her blog back ten years ago: around every other day. Her blog on her website has three posts in 2021. Nothing wrong with the video. Basic advice not to get snookered by high-priced scams about making a fortune writing books, and then the usual stuff about being active on social media.

Then it was blogging. Now it's YouTube and TikTok and whatever. We get this advice over and over again, along with the patronizing comment that if we are serious about our writing we will do lots of social media. One can be serious about writing and not do social media.

In fact, the basic problem with that advice is that it is given to the people who are most likely to have spent their formative years curled up alone with a book. The antithesis of social, in fact. Serious people who seriously do not want to be social. Didn't want to then; don't want to now.

Faking sincerity Talking to people works for some writers and isn't of any interest to others, so whether it would or could work today as well as it apparently worked for Hocking a decade ago is unimportant. Try it and see for yourself if you are successful at it and if you like doing it. If you don't like doing it and you do it anyway, this is just another rotten job, isn't it?   
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:12:01 PM by LilyBLily »

The following users thanked this post: PaulineMRoss, feste, Jackie, Wonder, Hopscotch, littleauthor, Greg Dragon

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
In some ways I would prefer not to interact at all with people who read my books, but I actually enjoy doing it on my own terms. I have a writer page on Facebook where I let people know what I'm working on and get some excellent feedback from time to time, and a writing blog where I probably post about once a month and it magically goes straight to Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.
I also have a few people I know in real life who read everything I publish, and we sometimes chat about my books when we meet, although we almost always have lots of other stuff to talk about too. I think I would find it hard to keep up a real world conversation entirely about my books for very long! This is because I don't like talking about my work in progress and I am not so interested in the ones I've written already.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Hopscotch

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 05:36:09 AM »
Being the sort of introvert who wishes all of you out there would go away to another planet and leave me alone, I can't argue w/anyone who does or does not care to socialmedia his/her/their readers.  But I always thought the book was the writer's method of communicating with readers.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, Jackie, Wonder, Greg Dragon, Cindy303

Eric Thomson

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 08:47:34 AM »
Being the sort of introvert who wishes all of you out there would go away to another planet and leave me alone, I can't argue w/anyone who does or does not care to socialmedia his/her/their readers.  But I always thought the book was the writer's method of communicating with readers.

And yet, I've found that there is a not inconsiderable segment of readers who want to know more about my universe and what's behind my stories, so I interact with them on social media and on sites I control. Does it lead to more sales? No idea. But having readers interested in the unwritten stuff is gratifying.

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

sliderule

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 09:59:59 PM »

And yet, I've found that there is a not inconsiderable segment of readers who want to know more about my universe and what's behind my stories, so I interact with them on social media and on sites I control. Does it lead to more sales? No idea. But having readers interested in the unwritten stuff is gratifying.

As a reader, I'm always interested in peeks under the hood. I read a universe, get invested in the characters and I want to know everything.

Yet it blows my mind in a good way that someone would feel that way about something I've written.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 11:04:44 PM »
I think separation of the artist from the art is wise, because so often the artist is a complete jerk but the art is magnificent. It's far too easy for a fan to be disillusioned by too close contact with the artist.

I personally prefer a reasonable distance from my readers. That distance is part of what makes the magic of art happen. It's easy for an author to believe that magic is in short supply, which is another good reason to maintain distance.   

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:07:58 PM by LilyBLily »

The following users thanked this post: feste

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, and Suspense
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 01:41:37 AM »
Authors can be removed from the public.  Publishers might have to interact a bit more.  I think it depends on what we emphasize in the business. 

If an author can write and hire the rest done, that's wonderful!  If we do it all ourselves (whether we have to or want to) then communicating with readers is another part of the job. 

Personally, I enjoy it!  But I know it's not for everyone.  And I don't talk about me (boring). I talk about subjects my readers enjoy that are often in my books.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.

PJ Post

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 02:13:34 AM »
An emerging best practice for creatives is to engage with their audience as much as possible, including through as many platforms/services as possible. I assume the study of social media is taking up more and more 'pages' in Marketing textbooks these days. Eventually, social media will be just another business discipline, like accounting, finance or advertising.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 03:57:26 AM »
Every hour spent on social media is an hour spent not writing the next book.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: LBL

Eric Thomson

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 04:45:00 AM »
Sure, but if you harness the procrastination to something useful, like interacting with readers, at least it's not as wasteful as watching cat videos.  Grin

The following users thanked this post: Space Cowgirl

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »

I find most of the time I can't write outside my normal session times. Not all the time, but most of the time.

So social media time is outside of writing time.

I also find sometimes I need to let the brain work on what comes next, and a social media sideline does the trick while it happens.

I'd love to be more productive, but we work with the way things are.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Jackie

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:30:54 AM »
An emerging best practice for creatives is to engage with their audience as much as possible, including through as many platforms/services as possible. I assume the study of social media is taking up more and more 'pages' in Marketing textbooks these days. Eventually, social media will be just another business discipline, like accounting, finance or advertising.

I took a few online courses last year and noticed social media is now an emphasis area in business and marketing degrees.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

JRTomlin

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
I don't spend all my time writing. I learned a long time ago that doing that only reduces my production. If I want to spend some of that off-time on social media as opposed to watching TV or reading or gardening or whatever, I don't see that it makes much difference.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 07:08:32 AM »
Attendance is up this month over the past two months at my readers' party.  I never have a huge group, but I would say we're at least 30% better than July or August.  Maybe people are settling back into their routine now that summer is just about over?  Anyway...thought I'd share in case anyone is debating about trying social media again.  :dog1:

And as I said earlier, this is more about branding than sales, but I do sell a few books.