Author Topic: “Ebooks Are an Abomination” – The Atlantic  (Read 172 times)

Hopscotch

“Ebooks Are an Abomination” – The Atlantic
« on: September 15, 2021, 12:46:09 PM »
A poorly researched article but a good point:

“…Building a larger market for ebook reading wouldn’t just mean winning over haters like me. That doesn’t even make sense, because I’m just not interested in reading more of the books that are most compatible with current ebook hardware and software. Instead, it would entail a whole new digital interpretation of books. Maybe entirely new lines of devices, similar to the attempt Amazon made with the Kindle DX, but successful. The possibilities are obvious, yet nobody has bothered to pursue them: Ebook readers can’t show a two-page spread—there are smartphones that fold for some reason, but no ebook that does, following the model that the Roman wax tablets set two millennia ago. Bookmarking and highlighting remain the only counterparts to dog-earing and marginalia. Skimming through pages, the foremost feature of the codex, remains impossible in digital books.

“Why? Amazon would stand to benefit from the hardware sales, book sales, and incremental platform lock-in that more diverse ebook experiences could provide. An Amazon rep told me that the company focused on making the device “disappear in our customer’s hands.” It doesn’t seem to have considered the idea that an ebook design makes implicit claims about what a book is and should be. “We’ve been thoughtful,” Amazon continued, “about adding only features and experiences that preserve and enhance the reading experience.” The question of whose experience doesn’t seem to come up….”

https://www.theatlantic.com/books/archive/2021/09/why-are-ebooks-so-terrible/620068/

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: “Ebooks Are an Abomination” – The Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »
Ebook readers can’t show a two-page spread—there are smartphones that fold for some reason, but no ebook that does, following the model that the Roman wax tablets set two millennia ago. Bookmarking and highlighting remain the only counterparts to dog-earing and marginalia. Skimming through pages, the foremost feature of the codex, remains impossible in digital books.

What a load of crap!

Whoever wrote that has obviously never used the kindle app at all, and especially not used Page Flip, which is especially designed to see 2 pages side by side, and skim rapidly through pages.

And the rest of it is using Trad statistics and claiming they indicate a decline in eBooks.

Typical Trad based hatchet job.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:57:00 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
Since I spent much of my youth borrowing books from the public library, I never, ever mark up a book. I also feel no need to. Dog-earing? Certainly not. The writer is talking for a subset of readers only--a subset that is not respectful of books at all.

I'll go a bit further and say that genre readers in particular (and I am one) do not read hoping to find a felicitous phrase that speaks to the entire human condition to highlight or a foolish statement with which to argue fiercely in the margin. I don't write angry glosses on books; I dump them.

I do agree that being able to page through a printed book rapidly that is irritating me is a little difficult with an ebook--but not impossible; I simply use the Go To function and skip chapters. Works like a charm.

The following users thanked this post: spin52

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:29:48 PM »
An article probably typed on an Olivetti, by candlelight while listening to the phonogram...

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, R. C., spin52, Wonder, Cindy303

Maggie Ann

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:23:30 PM »
 :icon_rofl: