Author Topic: Design Cut Bundle (Expires June 24th(ish))  (Read 2234 times)

RPatton

Design Cut Bundle (Expires June 24th(ish))
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:20:31 AM »
Don't pass go. Don't collect $200. Just click buy now.

Expired

I've been playing around with Hermann and bought it at full price, now I am buying this bundle to embed it into ebooks. Seriously, this bundle is worth it just for Hermann. Think of typeface that has all the tradition of Garamond, all the character of Sabon (which is a Garamond), but a louder voice. I am in love with Hermann and I can honestly say that if you are just getting into formatting for print, you could buy this bundle and only use Hermann (you won't, but you could) and never need another typeface. The kerning pairs are well done, the letter shapes are gorgeous and it has great readability on paper and good readability on screen. It's not Bookerly, but it does a good job of of mimicking the printed page on a screen.

And I don't even have time to mention the other typefaces in this bundle (some strong sans that can carry their own and some gorgeous decorative typefaces).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:49:38 AM by RPatton »

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, Dragovian

RPatton

Re: Another Design Cut Bundle (Expires March 4th)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 03:28:26 AM »
I am really in love with Hermann. So much that I put together a sample chapter from Alice in Wonderland set at 11.5/13.75. This typeface looks better at the larger sizes, but I did very little work adjusting the word and letter spacing with tracking. Because it performs better with minor adjustments, I wouldn't put it on my no-fault list, but this is a great alternative to a Garamond. My only complaint is the counter on the lowercase e is on the smaller side, but I don't think it's a detraction unless you are dropping down to a font size below 10 pts.

Ignoring all the other typefaces available in this bundle, I really believe its worth it for Hermann alone.

https://we.tl/t-eH5W442ghX

ETA: Attachment doesn't work, added link instead.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:31:33 AM by RPatton »

RPatton

Re: Design Cut Bundle (Expires April 30th)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 03:57:05 AM »
Expired

https://www.designcuts.com/product/the-essential-versatile-font-collection/

This one has some great decorative faces, and one serif. I haven't tried it out yet, but it's from the same foundry who did Hermann. Ulises is more of a slab, but I think, for the right book, it could be stellar if it performs anything like Hermann. (I printed up some samples with Hermann, Electra, and Sabon for a book and the random people I asked to choose their favorite page, all chose Hermann.)

The full family costs $190 from the foundry and you can get it in this bundle for $29.

It also has some great sans from Latinotype (they rock their sans) and Elaina from Laura Worthington. This is what I would call a chapter display bundle. Versus could be used in several genres with all the different styles available and there are plenty of good (legible) scripts for both covers and chapters.

This isn't a bundle that I would say you definitely have to get, but it is a good bundle and comes with some great typefaces that you can definitely find a good use for.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:06:45 AM by RPatton »

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
The price makes it tempting.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

RPatton

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »
That's a great bundle. I'm tempted to scoop it up although I already have both Monotype and Adobe subscriptions.

Honestly, even with Adobe Fonts (and I wish I had kept my Monotype subscription because that went away...), the thing that makes Design Cut bundles so amazing is their extended license. You can embed the fonts in ebooks. And while most publisher's won't bother with embedding fonts, it's nice to have the option without paying for an additional license per book. (I can't get enough of Tobias Saul's lettering.)

I have no idea how they do it, except somehow they manage to pull in some great designers and foundries and put them in a bundle at an amazing price.

The price makes it tempting.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you almost can't afford not to buy the Design Cut typography bundles. :) They are available for a limited time and a lot of the typefaces aren't part of their marketplace, so if anyone isn't quite sure, I would err in the side caution and grab it before it expires.

RPatton

Re: Design Cut Bundle (Expires June 11th(ish))
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 02:09:43 AM »
Expired

Okay, this isn't a typography bundle, but it's a texture and pattern bundle. I've been experimenting with doing background images on chapter openers and this bundle has some good stuff.

https://www.designcuts.com/product/totally-vibrant-textures-and-patterns-bundle/

This isn't something I would say is a can't miss, but figured some of you might be interested

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:50:18 AM by RPatton »

RPatton

Re: Design Cuts Typography Bundle $29 (Expires June 24th(ish))
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:05 AM »
Okay, Design Cuts has a new bundle. This one is $29 and has a nice combination of typefaces.

https://www.designcuts.com/product/the-complete-eclectic-font-collection/

They have some foundries that are slowly making a name for themselves as established and reputable foundries. Latinotype and Zetatype are delivering some great fonts and I can easily see them pushing into the ranks of Klim, Dalton Maag, Font Bureau, and so many other established and respected foundries.

Adam Ladd also lent Config Condensed to the collection. If you already have Config, his is a great way to add to the family.

If you write Sci-fi, I recommend taking a look at Evolve. It's a good decorative face for covers, marketing, and chapter displays. It does a good job combining the sci-fi aesthetic without losing readability.

And let's not forget Fenotype. I am falling more and more in like with this foundry. Not all of their fonts are home runs, but some of them have really won me over.

W made another appearance, this time offering Kappa Vol 2 (the serif version of Kappa, which was offered in a previous bundle).

This is a great bundle for covers, marketing, and chapter displays. You could give Breton a go for body text, but I am usually hesitant to use it for anything novel length, although it might work well for a middle grade book.

For less than $30, this bundle has some great fonts that will be an asset to any font library.