Author Topic: What happened to Look Inside? And other stuff-ups.  (Read 1985 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
What happened to Look Inside? And other stuff-ups.
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
My Halloween story is currently releasing, and for some unknown reason it was not enrolled in KU, even though that is something I check when first doing the metadata.

So checking that after being told by a fan it wasn't in KU, I find there is no Look Inside on the book.

But it appears as if Look Inside has vanished completely.

Is this yet another Amazon stuff up? Or have they changed policy again?

I've had 2 pre-order books on request to be added to the series page, and 2 weeks later, neither has been done.

I put a second request in today. But are they even doing things like this at the moment?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

Re: What happened to Look Inside? And other stuff-ups.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »
I've waited a week for them to add my preorder to the series page. Perhaps they're taking much longer with preorders than regular releases?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »
I've waited a week for them to add my preorder to the series page. Perhaps they're taking much longer with preorders than regular releases?

It was the other way around.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
The last time I checked there were still 'Look Insides' on my other books but I published a new one about ten days ago and there is no 'Look Inside' yet. I've been too caught up in other stuff to contact Amazon about it though.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

BelindaWhite

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 11:46:40 PM »
KDP is releasing a 'do it yourself' way to add books to series. I think they are rolling it out, though, so it's possible you don't have it yet. (I haven't seen it yet for myself either!)

I've seen screen shots in some writers' groups I'm in though. That's probably what the hold up is. Hopefully, once it's all rolled out, this will be one more thing we can do for ourselves rather than having to email KDP and wait for them to get around to it.

Belinda White

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 12:00:14 AM »
KDP is releasing a 'do it yourself' way to add books to series. I think they are rolling it out, though, so it's possible you don't have it yet. (I haven't seen it yet for myself either!)

I've seen screen shots in some writers' groups I'm in though. That's probably what the hold up is. Hopefully, once it's all rolled out, this will be one more thing we can do for ourselves rather than having to email KDP and wait for them to get around to it.

Any chance of posting the screen shots?

And did it look like they were adding the ability to link series in a universe at all?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 12:10:19 AM »
Wow, I hope they do this soon. I want to shorten the release date for my preorder, but I'm not touching it until the series page is up.

BelindaWhite

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »

Any chance of posting the screen shots?

I'll see if I can find the screen shot. If it's in a group that allows an outside post, I'll share it here. From what I could tell, it's basically keeping things the way they currently are (in regards to linking series) just putting that into our hands to do. I've seen it mentioned in several groups... I'll have to do some digging to find the posts again.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:13:29 AM by BelindaWhite »

Belinda White

BelindaWhite

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Okay, I found a post with screenshot, and the group rules don't mention not reposting, so here it is (if I can get the image to insert!)

All right, I can't figure it out. I got c*cky when I saw the 'insert image' icon, but it wants a link, and I don't think a link to the image will work unless you're a member of the group. Sorry.

I did however, learn that you access the new DIY option by clicking on the three dots beside the Promote and Advertise button on your book in the KDP Bookshelf. From the screen shot, it looks like the new option is called 'Manage Series'.

It's quite possible you already have access to it, even though I don't yet. It would appear they are doling it out gradually.

Belinda White

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 12:24:09 AM »
I've always thought series pages should have been automatically done when you submit a new in-series book the first time.

Never made sense it being a manual creation by a person thing.

With luck, if we can do it ourselves, it will make changing things easier.

Like I've wanted to put all #36 novels into a single series, in best order to be read. But that means changing covers, front matter, and metadata to all be the same.

If the series can be done just from the metadata, without the other checks, it would be easier to do, where now it's impossible. (at least without doing major cover replacement.)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 12:25:43 AM »
Okay, I found a post with screenshot, and the group rules don't mention not reposting, so here it is (if I can get the image to insert!)

All right, I can't figure it out. I got c*cky when I saw the 'insert image' icon, but it wants a link, and I don't think a link to the image will work unless you're a member of the group. Sorry.

Right click on the image and save to your computer.

Then click the '+ Attachments and other options' under the post box, and browse to the image.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 12:27:00 AM »
I did however, learn that you access the new DIY option by clicking on the three dots beside the Promote and Advertise button on your book in the KDP Bookshelf. From the screen shot, it looks like the new option is called 'Manage Series'.

Nope. Not yet.  :icon_cry:

BelindaWhite

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 12:31:10 AM »

Right click on the image and save to your computer.

Then click the '+ Attachments and other options' under the post box, and browse to the image.

Here goes nuthin'.

Belinda White

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 12:44:26 AM »
I'm confused. There was never look inside on Preorders, was there?

Tim - Sorry I just inserted a quote from you here the ole cut and paste way:

Like I've wanted to put all #36 novels into a single series, in best order to be read. But that means changing covers, front matter, and metadata to all be the same.

If the series can be done just from the metadata, without the other checks, it would be easier to do, where now it's impossible. (at least without doing major cover replacement.)
<end quote>

If you have a series you would presumably want the covers to match, but Amazon doesn't require it.  Changing front matter would be a personal decision, again not required?

I'm still waiting on my series to be created but I think the 7 business days will be up on Wednesday here. Putting it on my calendar to check on Thursday and call author central if not done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:46:43 AM by TimothyEllis »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 12:54:56 AM »
I'm confused. There was never look inside on Preorders, was there?

No, but it still isn't on my now released book, and it wasn't on my last one there for a while either, but now is.

If you have a series you would presumably want the covers to match, but Amazon doesn't require it.

They do at the moment. Totally anal about it in fact. Cover = Metadata = Front matter. Just the slightest thing different anywhere, and they reject the book.

What I'd like to do is put all 5 series into a single one, with the original series name and the part number as a sub-title.

I asked if I could do that not long ago, and was told that was too confusing. I asked if I could do it on a graphic in the front matter and was told it was too confusing.

So if this is a change in the right direction, I'll welcome it.

It would be worth a disruption to series 2 series page to prove if it will work or not.

notthatamanda

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 01:03:22 AM »
Oh I thought you meant the front matter had to match book to book. Coffee is not working this morning, sorry.

I went to your author page. No Look inside for Jane's Halloween. Look inside is working okay for Fleet Captain Spagemage (Book 6)
I swear it is, but please don't ask me to screen shot, sorry.

The January 2021 book is not on your author page, and you can't click on your name when it comes up when I do a search on your name. Have you not added it via authorcentral yet or is that another problem?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:07:55 AM »
I went to your author page. No Look inside for Jane's Halloween. Look inside is working okay for Fleet Captain Spagemage (Book 6)

Saw that.  grint

The January 2021 book is not on your author page, and you can't click on your name when it comes up when I do a search on your name. Have you not added it via authorcentral yet or is that another problem?

:doh:

Forgot to add the damn thing.  :dizzy :shrug

I'm suspecting Halloween is not on the series page because it's too short. But Twice is probably not on because I forgot to add it to AC.

*sigh*