Author Topic: Signatures  (Read 44085 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Signatures
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »
For now, these are the restrictions for signatures. They may change as we determine what is good, and what is excessive.

There is an allowance for up to 9 Thumbnails.
There is an allowance for up to 3000 characters.
Links should only be to book related destinations or your own book related website.

Links to non-book related sites may be removed.

Your Kboards signature should work here, although it may need editing to remove Kboards addresses and affiliate information. The core images and links generated by the Signature Tool there, can be cut and paste into your signature here. This is about the first third of the full signature.

For erotica writers, your signature may contain book covers, and links to the books. But please be choosy about which ones to use, especially if you intend to use the public areas. Valid complaints may result in you being asked to remove a cover. As long as it's tasteful, there shouldn't be a problem.

It is a good idea to state in your signature what Genre(s) you write in. Advise often varies by genre and its a good idea if the reader can see your genre at a glance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:04:31 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: kdiem, Tedski_PT

T. M. Bilderback

• Short Story unlocked
  • "Will you do it for a Scooby-snack?"
    • T. M. Bilderback
Re: Signatures
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
Okay, Timothy, I'm an idiot...where do we enter the links or pics for our book covers?  Is it in the "signature" area?  Or is there somewhere that requires ASIN numbers?
"Oh, the shame of it...my father, beaten by a giant mouse."

Pandorra

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »
TM go to your 'forum profile' and the big signature box at the bottom, post your links in there and they will show in your posts. That seems to be the only option here but it's easy to use. If you have them listed on the old site, just copy that one and paste it in this one and it works!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:49:21 AM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »
Do you mean literally paste links? Like T. M. Bilderback, I'm a little at a loss. I'm missing the signature tool. Perhaps we need a tutorial for those of us who don't have a clue about BB code.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Are we allow to use our own affiliate IDs?

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
  • This place is addicting, isn't it?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Do you mean literally paste links? Like T. M. Bilderback, I'm a little at a loss. I'm missing the signature tool. Perhaps we need a tutorial for those of us who don't have a clue about BB code.

If you go into your Profile on KBoards and Click Modify Profile, then scroll down, you'll see Signature with a text box next to it. That's your KBoards signature. You should be able to just copy all the text/code in that box. Then paste it into your signature here.

Note: I haven't tested it, but if you try that and it doesn't work - I'll do some tests to see if there are any gotchas.
Genre: Science Fiction

Pandorra

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »

If you go into your Profile on KBoards and Click Modify Profile, then scroll down, you'll see Signature with a text box next to it. That's your KBoards signature. You should be able to just copy all the text/code in that box. Then paste it into your signature here.

Note: I haven't tested it, but if you try that and it doesn't work - I'll do some tests to see if there are any gotchas.

No, that should work for them, I used it myself when I came over hoping to not have to type it all over again. I think its the only way for them to add the links as well, so if one of us can get a clean screenshot or series of them to show instead of tell, it might be helpful. I'll try to get some myself after my word count is done if nobody gets to it before then.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

Yes. When you do the copy from KB, paste into an editor first, and replace their affiliate code with yours. Then copy and paste into your profile.

The only issue with a direct copy and paste, is Kboards new owners might object to their site being in code on another site.

Also, if you just cut and paste, Kboards gets the affiliate money if someone presses the link.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

Yes. When you do the copy from KB, paste into an editor first, and replace their affiliate code with yours. Then copy and paste into your profile.

The only issue with a direct copy and paste, is Kboards new owners might object to their site being in code on another site.

Also, if you just cut and paste, Kboards gets the affiliate money if someone presses the link.

Thanks, good to know.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:23 AM »
Thanks, guys, I got it figured out.

Related question: Do we need to scale a profile picture, or does it scale automatically? (I should remember that, but it's been a long time since I set up my Kboards profile.)

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

guest14

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:00:05 AM »
It will scale to the forum's expectations.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:47 AM »
It will scale to the forum's expectations.
Thanks!

It's worth noting that the upload will fail if the image is too large. If it isn't, the software will scale it appropriately.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:51:24 AM by Bill Hiatt »

Mark Gardner

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:02:47 AM »
From time to time, I run kick starters to get this or that book-related thing funded. When I do this, I usually change all my profiles to a Kickstarter banner. For example:

Is this cool?

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 01:43:25 AM »
Trying to upload my avatar pic I got an error "upload directory unavailable". Just FYI
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:06 AM »
Trying to upload my avatar pic I got an error "upload directory unavailable". Just FYI

Try again now. I think I put that fire out.

Tonyonline

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 03:57:59 AM »
Can somebody post the bb code so I can copy it to display my books.
Thanks.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:24:21 AM »
Can somebody post the bb code so I can copy it to display my books.
Thanks.

the best way is to go to your amazon page and right click on the cover of the book and "open image in a new tab" or whatever your OS/browser combination allows you to do. you can use the URL in the address bar as your image source, and the amazon book link as your url (I'd just include amazon.com dp (for digital product?) and the ASIN.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRL3FXQ/][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61y06jUPFZL.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:31:22 AM by Article94 »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:52 AM »
So Simon's avatar picture is showing up for Timothy. Which confused me because, I was like - Simon is now an admin?

Maybe it's just my cache?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »

Most likely.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
So Simon's avatar picture is showing up for Timothy. Which confused me because, I was like - Simon is now an admin?

I saw that. Some crazy stuff is happening.

I think it was because mine was missing. Once I uploaded it again, it fixed itself.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Timothy, is there any way to have a 'books I'm reading' type thing in my signature, like at kboards? I don't any of my own books to link to just yet, but I'd be happy to link to other books with your affiliate code if it will help contribute financially  :icon_biggrin:
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »
Timothy, is there any way to have a 'books I'm reading' type thing in my signature, like at kboards? I don't any of my own books to link to just yet, but I'd be happy to link to other books with your affiliate code if it will help contribute financially  :icon_biggrin:

Not at the moment.

We really need a php programmer author on hand who can make a few of these things for us.

guest14

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »
Anyone else having a - contact Admin when they go to 'View replies to your posts'?

Dragovian

• Ready Player One
  • Blurb unlocked
  • For the Alliance on Velen-US
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Timothy, thanks for creating this place.

My sig currently has a link to a site that's writing related (using game-like incentives to encourage daily writing), but not specifically book related. I hope that's acceptable; it has me on a 200+ day writing streak because I'm a sucker for virtual rewards.
Want no more zero days? Try 4thewords! Defeat monsters via word count, get rewarded for writing streaks, and get competitive by tracking your leaderboard position. Use my referral code PFXBS32680 and we both get crystals with your first month's subscription.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Timothy, thanks for creating this place.

My sig currently has a link to a site that's writing related (using game-like incentives to encourage daily writing), but not specifically book related. I hope that's acceptable; it has me on a 200+ day writing streak because I'm a sucker for virtual rewards.

No problems.  :Tup3a:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Added the suggestion to include the Genre(s) you write in your signature.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked

guest14

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 11:27:31 PM »
Added the suggestion to include the Genre(s) you write in your signature.

I like this - done  :Tup4a:

Tonyonline

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:59 AM »
the best way is to go to your amazon page and right click on the cover of the book and "open image in a new tab" or whatever your OS/browser combination allows you to do. you can use the URL in the address bar as your image source, and the amazon book link as your url (I'd just include amazon.com dp (for digital product?) and the ASIN.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRL3FXQ/][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61y06jUPFZL.jpg[/img][/url]

Haha as someone who just spent half an hour tinkering and trying to work out why my copy/pasted code didn't work, before eventually resorting to Dr. Google, I thought newcomers might appreciate not having to do the same  :icon_rofl:

Thank you both  Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:38:02 AM by Tonyonline »

Tonyonline

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
Damn! No idea what I'm doing wrong but the size is massive  :huh:

I've used this code below (minus the gaps) but look at the size... :huh: (I will delete this post when sorted, unless someone else is having the same problem & it will help them too...geez I hope it's not just me  :icon_redface:

[ url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QYKXJ][ img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg [/img][/url]

CM Raymond

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 06:44:46 AM »
Same

Denise

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
The code is this:

Please replace ( with [ and ) with ]

(table)(tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(td)(url=your second book url)(img)Your 2nd cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(/tr)(/table)

(table)(tr)(td)(url=site url)Site name(/url)(/td)(td)(url=Site  2 URL(/url)Site 2 name(/td)(/tr)(/table)

For each book, add (tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td) 

Book images: after the address of the image, and before .jpg  , substitute what's there (something like __BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL160_SR103,160_)  for _SL125_

Only close using (/table) when you want to finish a line and start a new one.

You can paste this in a text editor, add your info, then use find and replace to substitute ( for [ and ) for ]

Also, to add Timothy's affiliate code, add /?tag=cirofatl-20 at the end of the book url.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:27:43 AM by DayLight »

The following users thanked this post: Tulonsae, Tonyonline, Carleton Chinner, maddie sutton

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Ok, seems we need a size limitation on signature pics. Will look at it.

Pandorra

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Test.. if you see anything I missed yell.

ETA - I think I got it!

Decon

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
Not sure which part of the KB signature is the KB affiliate link as per what follows:-

=http://amazon.com/dp/B075H4G7X1/?tag=kbsig-20][/url]

Any ideas? Or is it on a section I've deleted?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:33:13 PM by Decon »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »
From what I read in other posts, the kbsig-20 and also kbsig-21 are their codes.

Max

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Not sure which part of the KB signature is the KB affiliate link as per what follows:-

=http://amazon.com/dp/B075H4G7X1/?tag=kbsig-20][/url]

Any ideas? Or is it on a section I've deleted?

?tag=kbsig-20

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
From what I read in other posts, the kbsig-20 and also kbsig-21 are their codes.

I've seen another variation as well.

If you are not going to use your own code, delete the ?tag=(whatever) part. Or replace (whatever) with mine. (thanks if you do)

Straker

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Another refugee from KBoards just arrived. Maybe I'm blind but I don't see an option for adding an avatar on the profile screen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
Another refugee from KBoards just arrived. Maybe I'm blind but I don't see an option for adding an avatar on the profile screen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Go to your Groups Membership and change your default to the registered group. Then the options will appear. If you have one of the other groups as your default, they won't.

Straker

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

Go to your Groups Membership and change your default to the registered group. Then the options will appear. If you have one of the other groups as your default, they won't.

That worked, thank you very much.

The following users thanked this post: YouMeWe

M R M

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
And now you are looking at a writer who wiped his sig without saving it lol
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

LMareeApps

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
The code is this:

Please replace ( with [ and ) with ]

(table)(tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url ending in .jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(td)(url=your second book url)(img)Cover URL(/img)(/url) (/td)(/tr)(/table)(table)(tr)(td)(url=site url)Site name(/url)(/td)(td)(url=Site  2 URL(/url)Site 2 name(/td)(/tr)(/table)

For each book, add (tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url ending in .jpg(/img)(/url) (/td) 

Only close using (/table) when you want to finish a line and start a new one.

You can paste this in a text editor, add your info, then use find and replace to substitute ( for [ and ) for ]

Also, to add Timothy's affiliate code, add /?tag=cirofatl-20 at the end of the book url.

Thank you!  Now to see if I nailed it or failed it...
ETA: WHOA!!  Sorry! How do I fix the image sizes?
ETA2:  :banana: :dance: Fixed it!  You can either just use the addresses from the thumbnail images on Amazon, or include ._SL100_. before the jpeg suffix on the normal Amazon image address.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:08:44 PM by LMareeApps »
Genres: Romance and Erotica

M R M

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
OK so my sig is coming together, but now I need to figure out how to dump this stupid white space between covers. maybe its on the amazon thumbs... hmmm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:49:48 PM by M R M »
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »
OK so my sig is coming together, but now I need to figure out how to dump this stupid white space between covers. maybe its on the amazon thumbs... hmmm

At a guess, you put a hard return after each line. If you run all the code together, you probably wont get the gaps.

M R M

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
nope, its the thumbs which is odd. I am re-getting the links.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but it might be good to have a signature tool the way Kboards does. Is that another one of those things that we need a php programmer for? (I was hoping maybe it was a utility of some kind that might be available already.

Tonyonline

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
Think I might have to give up  :undecided:

This is the code I used from Daylight above, I tried one book for now but it's still big  :icon_think:  :undecided:

(table](tr](td](url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg(/img](/url](/td](/tr](/table]

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
Think I might have to give up  :undecided:

This is the code I used from Daylight above, I tried one book for now but it's still big

For the image, go to the book page, right click on the image, and select save location. This gives you the url to the thumbnail, and insert that into your signature.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:18:13 PM by TimothyEllis »

Tonyonline

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but it might be good to have a signature tool the way Kboards does. Is that another one of those things that we need a php programmer for? (I was hoping maybe it was a utility of some kind that might be available already.

You mean this thing? I took a screen shot of my numbers one time. I was hoping it would have one...I need it  :icon_wink: