Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 64490 times)

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
Yesterday I finished Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Good science fiction novel about atonement. Had a few interesting characters, including a sentient starship.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:35 PM »
Rereading the Rabbi Small mysteries by Harry Kemmelman. I had read the first seven (named for the days of the week) when they first came out but didn't know there were more until recently. I'm on Thursday now.

The Rabbi is quiet, serious, studious and solves murders through Talmudic logic. He does tend to expound on Judaism a lot, being a rabbi, but I always enjoy learning.

LilyBLily

« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:27 AM »
I have been on a Mary Lancaster Regency romance kick. First I read her Unmarriagables series and then her Imperial Season series taking place in Vienna--very strong Georgette Heyer feel from those, by turns romantic, suspenseful, and hilarious. Vienna Waltz is the first. I haven't read this many books this fast in years. None of her characters come across as cookie cutter. Even her villains, though often smooth society types, are different from each other. Now I'm starting her longest series, the Blackhaven Brides. Lots of fun ahead, I hope.

What gives me pause, though, is how little money she's getting out of my reading her books. I read them all in Kindle Unlimited, and since they are short, she might get a dollar for each book. Then I bought the first three--for the princely total of $6.97. That's a tragically small amount of money for so much reading enjoyment.

Which I suppose is why I'm mentioning her here, so word of mouth can possibly sell more of her delightful books.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:45 AM »
I'm reading the final chapter in the saga of Dan McCarthy and Emma Ford.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

elleoco

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2019, 05:41:35 AM »
Getting and rereading some of the early Dick Francis mysteries at bargain prices set me off on a horse mystery streak. So after that I reread Kit Ehrman's Steve Cline mysteries, which I liked more than I remembered. Wish there were more of those.

After that I tried some of John McEvoy's mysteries--okay, but they didn't hook me enough to go through them all, and then a couple of Toni Leland's--same.

So, off horse mysteries and rereading again (I'm one of those "voracious" readers), went through Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch mysteries. If you like outdoorsy mysteries like Nevada Barr and C. J. Box, you'd probably like these. Can't be squeamish about "nature red of tooth and claw."

Done with rereading for a while, so as a complete change I tried Lisa Boero's first Lady Althea mystery, which I think was recommended in KB's Book Corner. KU. It's a historical mystery set in Regency times or maybe just before. There's a second one of these available. I think they'd suit fans of Georgette Heyer better than me. Well written but kind of slow and stately like that time actually was. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series is more my kind of thing.

Needless to say, being a voracious reader is difficult when you're also picky.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
Over the past few days I re-read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf, both by Tom Holt. I read them when they first came out. I decided to re-read them to get into a good frame of mind for a project I've started. Both are light fantasy with classic myths meeting the modern world. The first is about the Ring Cycle, while the other is about Viking Sagas. They both have sudden endings, though I still feel that the one in the first novel just feels better. They're both fun reads, though not as funny as I remembered.

I'm going to pause reading for a bit and do some watching to keep me in the right frame of mind... :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2019, 11:40:25 PM »
Just finished listening to Lady Fortescue Steps Out, first in The Poor Relations series by M.C. Beaton. Davina Porter narrated which is why I wanted to listen to this one. She never disappoints.

diisha392

« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2019, 02:28:08 AM »
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan, a WWII-era book set in Italy with a teenage male protagonist (based on a true story).

spin52

« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
Rereading the Rabbi Small mysteries by Harry Kemmelman. I had read the first seven (named for the days of the week) when they first came out but didn't know there were more until recently. I'm on Thursday now.

The Rabbi is quiet, serious, studious and solves murders through Talmudic logic. He does tend to expound on Judaism a lot, being a rabbi, but I always enjoy learning.

I found a couple of those recently in a second-hand bookstore. Wednesday and Thursday, I think. They're a little dry, but still interesting. I also found some old Emma Lathen mysteries featuring Wall Street banker John Putnam Thatcher.
On a more hard-boiled note, I picked up a boxed set of four Travis McGee mysteries by John D. MacDonald a few days ago and I'm reading through those. I had read a couple of his books years ago but nothing since. I was delighted to learn now that McGee favors Plymouth gin, since one of my sons lives in Plymouth (England, that is) and we visited the distillery the last time we were there.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

elleoco

« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
They're a little dry, but still interesting. I also found some old Emma Lathen mysteries featuring Wall Street banker John Putnam Thatcher.

I loved the early John Putnam Thatcher mysteries, but the later ones put me off the series. My foggy memory is that I read somewhere the series was continued by someone(s) other than the original author, and the humor that was so appealing just wasn't there. Then again, maybe I changed. There was a time I loved Nero Wolfe stories. Then I decided Archie was too much of a jerk for me, and that was the end of that.

For some reason neither the Rabbi series nor Travis McGee ever hooked me the way they did so many readers. Many years ago I read all the days of the week of the Rabbi mysteries and did enjoy them but would never think about rereading them now, and I only read a couple of the Travis McGees. They just never got to me but then I'm not a fan of places where there is no real winter. Summer is my least favorite season.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2019, 03:51:10 PM »
A wildly weird story about all kinds of things.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Royal Editorial (Katie)

« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2019, 12:25:22 AM »
Reading a grimdark high fantasy graphic novel called Monstress! And feeling inspired.

Katie King, freelance editor
Royal Editorial
royaleditorialinbox[at]gmail[dot]com

Click here for my Writer Sanctum vendor thread.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2019, 06:48:53 AM »
Just finished Gambit by Rex Stout. I don't like to read this one because whoever scanned it in originally, also scanned all those annoying ads they used to throw inside the paperbacks.

Also reading The Day the Rabbi Resigned, a Rabbi Small mystery.

The Doctor

« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2019, 11:55:16 PM »
I am about 70% of the way through Chuck Wendig's "Wanderers". Really good, really horrific in places (the plot, not the writing!).

I've never read any Wendig books before, though I follow him on Twitter. I'll definitely have to browse his other work.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Tom Wood

« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:40 AM »
... I've never read any Wendig books before, though I follow him on Twitter. ...

Same here. The Sykes-Cole-Wendig tweetstorms are hilarious!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:02 AM »
The Great Escape - Paul Brickhill.  (Finished the Dam Busters, same author, just prior. One book I can read again and again.)  Also have The Monarch of Juan Fernandez lined up, plus the first James Herriot vet novel. I must be on a nostalgia trip!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:21 AM »
The Great Escape - Paul Brickhill.  (Finished the Dam Busters, same author, just prior. One book I can read again and again.)  Also have The Monarch of Juan Fernandez lined up, plus the first James Herriot vet novel. I must be on a nostalgia trip!

I read the first James Herriot and loved it. It was nice, too, having watched the TV series a century ago, to put faces to the characters.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2019, 05:00:13 AM »
I bought the first James Herriot book when I was about 15 or 16, way back in 1983. I loved those books, all six of them, and the guy was a real inspiration to me. I must have read them half a dozen times each over the years.

I also have an interest in WWII air combat, so the fact he ended up in the RAF was a draw as well.

I've only watched one or two eps of the TV show, even though I have them all stashed away somewhere. I had images of all the characters in my mind, from reading the books, and they didn't fit!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:52 AM »
I bought the first James Herriot book when I was about 15 or 16, way back in 1983. I loved those books, all six of them, and the guy was a real inspiration to me. I must have read them half a dozen times each over the years.

I also have an interest in WWII air combat, so the fact he ended up in the RAF was a draw as well.

I've only watched one or two eps of the TV show, even though I have them all stashed away somewhere. I had images of all the characters in my mind, from reading the books, and they didn't fit!

Sometimes it's better to watch the movie or TV show and then read the book. Once you've read the book, of course, nothing is ever the way you picture it.  :angel:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2019, 07:02:26 AM »
I just finished Ready Player One and I am starting You Are A Ghost (Sign Here Please).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:06:14 AM by dgcasey »

notthatamanda

« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
I stumbled across Julie Andrew's autobiography "Home" by accident and read it this weekend.  Her childhood was insane.  All of the theater stuff, from the vaudeville she did as a child/adolescent, to the London and Broadway shows was fascinating.  The book ended just as they were flying to Hollywood, with her first baby barely a couple of months old, to film Mary Poppins.  I'll have to see if she ever documented that part of her career because I would love to read about the behind the scenes of Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
Reading Erma Bombeck's The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank. Her humor is timeless.

Vijaya

« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »
Erma and Julie!!! Love them both.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
I love Erma too.  The grass is always greener over the septic tank.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »
I love Erma too.  The grass is always greener over the septic tank.

I was practically falling on the floor over the chapter with her husband and the TV set.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Nearly finished Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

This was a favourite when I was a teenager, many years ago. Now I'm struggling, mostly because the environment seems so sterile and lacking. It does get better after a while, but there are several soggy chapters where the words 'grey' and 'featureless' are almost the default.

I also gave up on Alistair MacLean's 'Where Eagle's Dare'.  Another fave author of mine, but things just seemed to plod along and there was too much time spent on 'clever' dialogue and come-backs.

I recently finished a dozen novels by Derek Robinson, including Kramer's War, the RAF and RFC series, and the first 3 Luis Cabrillo novels. I like his work, and I remember reading Kramer's War a couple of times 2-3 decades ago (still have the hardback.)

The Doctor

« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »
Still reading Wendig's 'Wanderers' (about 85% the way through now).

Have started reading Val McDermid's Tony and Carol series, starting with 'The Mermaids Singing'.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »

This was a favourite when I was a teenager, many years ago. Now I'm struggling, mostly because the environment seems so sterile and lacking. It does get better after a while, but there are several soggy chapters where the words 'grey' and 'featureless' are almost the default.

I also gave up on Alistair MacLean's 'Where Eagle's Dare'.  Another fave author of mine, but things just seemed to plod along and there was too much time spent on 'clever' dialogue and come-backs.

I recently finished a dozen novels by Derek Robinson, including Kramer's War, the RAF and RFC series, and the first 3 Luis Cabrillo novels. I like his work, and I remember reading Kramer's War a couple of times 2-3 decades ago (still have the hardback.)

I read several of MacLean's books way back when. Ice Station Zebra was my fave. I probably read Where Eagle's Dare but I don't remember it. I stopped reading him when, in one book (I think it was either Circus or The Black Shrike) he kept running back and forth between one place and another for miles. I got exhausted reading it and decided I wouldn't read any more.

Helen MacInnes is another author I like from that era. The Salzburg Connection is my fave of hers and I go back to it every once in a while.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:51 AM »

I didn't care for that one.  I like a cool setting as much as anyone, but I also expect a plot, you know?  That book was just people wandering around and looking at things.  I kept waiting for an alien to jump out and attack, or for some part of the station to go "critical" or something, forcing everyone to find a solution, or for the characters to realize they were being poisoned by radiation, or something similar to create dramatic tension, but nothing like that ever happened.  It was just setting description.   :confused:

I also realize I'm in the minority on this.  Lots of people love the book.  Just different strokes for different folks, I guess.   :shrug
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »

I didn't care for that one.  I like a cool setting as much as anyone, but I also expect a plot, you know?  That book was just people wandering around and looking at things. 

I also realize I'm in the minority on this.  Lots of people love the book.  Just different strokes for different folks, I guess.   :shrug

Whew. I thought it was just me. I like some Clarke stuff but some of it kind of puts me to sleep. I never finished Rendezvous with Rama. Never even tried to go back to it again.

Just give me some old Jack Chalker books and I'll be a lot happier. I'm thinking about revisiting the Lilith books. It's been a long time and I still have fond memories of those. I admit I was a lot younger so they might not live up to my memories, so I continue to hesitate. :D
Don't rush me.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:04 AM »
I've started reading Melissa Albert's The Hazel Wood.  It's pretty good so far, but I haven't had much luck with books lately, so we'll see.

diisha392

« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd for book club

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
I just started reading A Moveable Feast by Hemingway.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »
Chasing Salome by Martin Turnbull. It's the prequel to his Garden of Allah series which I loved. This is the story of actress Alla Nazimova who was the original owner of the estate but was forced to turn it into a hotel.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0623417/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Vijaya

« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
diisha, I loved Invention of Wings. I read Paul Kalanithi's When Breath Becomes Air. Wow! I haven't cried like that in ages. It is so beautifully written. In the middle of David Brooks' Second Mountain.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Anarchist

« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2019, 01:40:07 AM »
Just finished this one...

I had never read a Koontz novel before. I was pleasantly surprised.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, dgcasey

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:55 AM »

I'm getting ready to read this one myself. It's on my 2019 TBR list for the Goodreads challenge.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2019, 04:57:48 AM »

I'm getting ready to read this one myself. It's on my 2019 TBR list for the Goodreads challenge.

If you've read any other novels by Koontz, I'd love to know whether you enjoyed them.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Lynn

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2019, 06:01:56 AM »
I know it wasn't a question for me but I've read oodles of Koontz's novels. I like most of them. Watchers is a good sample of his older style. Another favorite for me is Lightning. Then Face of Fear but it's from one of his old pen names. And Twilight Eyes is another of his pen name books that I really liked. But I was in high school when I read them, so... :D

His newer stuff is good too. Starting with the Odd Thomas books, they started to feel a bit different, but he still writes great books as far as I'm concerned.
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2019, 06:39:37 AM »
Back in the 90s, I received a box set containing Dean Koontz's Watchers, Whispers, and Strangers.  Of the three, I liked Strangers best.

I didn't like Whispers at all due to a particular skin-crawling scene.  *shudder*

Anarchist

« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
I know it wasn't a question for me but I've read oodles of Koontz's novels. I like most of them. Watchers is a good sample of his older style. Another favorite for me is Lightning. Then Face of Fear but it's from one of his old pen names. And Twilight Eyes is another of his pen name books that I really liked. But I was in high school when I read them, so... :D

His newer stuff is good too. Starting with the Odd Thomas books, they started to feel a bit different, but he still writes great books as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually own Lightning. I'll start with that one.

Back in the 90s, I received a box set containing Dean Koontz's Watchers, Whispers, and Strangers.  Of the three, I liked Strangers best.

Cool. Strangers appears to be on sale at Amazon. Just picked it up. Thanks, man.

I didn't like Whispers at all due to a particular skin-crawling scene.  *shudder*

Skin-crawling scene? I'm sold. ;)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
Skin-crawling scene? I'm sold. ;)

:icon_mrgreen:

I should add, of course, that I haven't read these books since I was a teenager.  It's possible I might have an entirely different opinion of them if I read them today.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #242 on: September 05, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
Finished The Monarch of Juan Fernandez (fave book as a teen, was glad to find another copy a few years back). It's the true-life story of Alexander Selkirk/Selcraig, who was the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe.

Finished Rendezvous with Rama.

Currently reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, which I've never read before. Have to be honest, feels like there's a lot of padding and unnecessary stuff in this one. (Wasp Factory, by the same author, is a big favourite of mine. That one's taut and streamlined though.)  I doubt I'll read any more in this series, not unless it improves.

Tom Wood

« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2019, 06:05:16 AM »
Re-read Infomocracy by Malka Older because it was a Meetup book club selection. That discussion brought up The Big Nine by Amy Webb, and I just finished that one too. If you are interested in a high-level sociological look at the status of AI development, The Big Nine is a great read!

Betty Blast

« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2019, 02:12:31 AM »
I just finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. It's a fun and unusual read. I can't wait to watch the movie.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2019, 11:13:54 PM »
Finally got back to my reading this week. Last night I finished “White Jenna” by Jane Yolen, the second Great Alta book. I quite liked it, as it was a good conclusion to the story set up in the first book, “Sister Light, Sister Dark.” I enjoyed the contrast between the actual story the historical/mythic asides. The plot really raced along.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2019, 05:44:59 AM »
I'm about halfway through ...

spin52

« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2019, 03:58:56 AM »
I proudly claim to be the only person in England who never saw either of the Poldark series on the BBC, but I started reading Winston Graham's books a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. I'm on the fifth one now and have a feeling I'll have to buy the DVDs, which I understand are fairly true to the books. It's not just the characters, the drama and the romance, but also the setting. Cornwall is a beautiful, wild place (I've visited it many times) and Graham really makes it come alive.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2019, 05:40:07 AM »
I proudly claim to be the only person in England who never saw either of the Poldark series on the BBC, but I started reading Winston Graham's books a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. I'm on the fifth one now and have a feeling I'll have to buy the DVDs, which I understand are fairly true to the books. It's not just the characters, the drama and the romance, but also the setting. Cornwall is a beautiful, wild place (I've visited it many times) and Graham really makes it come alive.

I watched the original Poldark on PBS. Wonderful series.

You might want to read Penmarric by Susan Howatch (my favorite author) set in Cornwall against the Cornish tin mines. It's the story of Henry II in the person of Mark Castellack including Eleanor and their sons, with England represented by the manor house of Penmarric. It's the first one of hers I read but Cashelmara is my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Penmarric-Susan-Howatch-ebook/dp/B009DA5FXU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Penmarric&qid=1569440174&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
I have started on "We Hunt the Flame" by Hafsah Faizal.
I had to get used to the more formal language after reading a loooot of Terry Pratchett lately, but both the characters and the story seem really interesting!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/