Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308935 times)

notthatamanda

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1250 on: November 02, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »

The space opera is at around 85k words now.  Original plan was 80-90k, I think, so it's gonna end up longer.  Maybe 120k.  I don't want to go 250k like the last one (which isn't selling).

Any natural breaks in the 250K that you could divide it up and do a permafree on part 1?

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1251 on: November 02, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »

The space opera is at around 85k words now.  Original plan was 80-90k, I think, so it's gonna end up longer.  Maybe 120k.  I don't want to go 250k like the last one (which isn't selling).

Any natural breaks in the 250K that you could divide it up and do a permafree on part 1?

Not really.  But since Amazon's "Look Inside" shows the first 10% of the story, which amounts to about thirteen chapters, that's pretty much a permafree right there.  :hehe
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Lynn

« Reply #1252 on: November 02, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »

Not really.  But since Amazon's "Look Inside" shows the first 10% of the story, which amounts to about thirteen chapters, that's pretty much a permafree right there.  :hehe

I read half that and it was awesome. :D My God. The ..... friend stuff and the repetition of the .... spell absolutely made me laugh out loud, for real. I didn't want to pollute your also boughts so I didn't buy, but maybe you don't care about that so much?
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1253 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
I read half that and it was awesome. :D My God. The ..... friend stuff and the repetition of the .... spell absolutely made me laugh out loud, for real. I didn't want to pollute your also boughts so I didn't buy, but maybe you don't care about that so much?

Thanks.  I was concerned about it because it gets a little darker deeper into the book and I was worried I didn't keep up the humor enough to match the expectations set by the early chapters but my beta reader enjoyed it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she won't be alone in that.

I don't worry about also-boughts; I get so few sales on any of my books that I doubt the also-boughts have any statistical validity for my books anyway.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Lorri Moulton

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1254 on: November 02, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »

Thanks.  I was concerned about it because it gets a little darker deeper into the book and I was worried I didn't keep up the humor enough to match the expectations set by the early chapters but my beta reader enjoyed it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she won't be alone in that.

I don't worry about also-boughts; I get so few sales on any of my books that I doubt the also-boughts have any statistical validity for my books anyway.

Link, please?

868 tonight, bringing the total to 41K and 174 pages.

A background character popped up and actually compelled me to write his side of the story. But now I'm 3/4 of the way through the book and I think it's going to be jarring. There are a couple of other places earlier in the book where I can insert his POV. It'll work and I think it will enhance the story. At least my editor thinks so.

Lynn

« Reply #1255 on: November 03, 2019, 02:35:58 AM »
Wrote 1,620 words yesterday, 928 words the day before, and 188 words the day before that.

Today I'm starting out 2,171 words to the negative because I just deleted a chunk of text from one of my novels in progress.  :writethink: This is when I really wish I tracked my words differently. It's going to be a bear today getting my count up to 1,714 so I can stay on track with my attempt to participate in nano this year.

Now to go bemoan how slowly I write while I drink coffee and wait for room temperature to rise about 60 F degrees.
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1256 on: November 03, 2019, 05:21:15 AM »
We published the first part of the book on Halloween!  :catrun

Hopefully, we'll get the rest done by Thanksgiving...or early December.  It's a long serialized story, so it's not the first time we've published a partial book.  I doubt I'll ever do it again (serialized story and with a co-author) but it has been fun. LOL

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1257 on: November 03, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »

Hopefully, we'll get the rest done by Thanksgiving...or early December.  It's a long serialized story, so it's not the first time we've published a partial book.  I doubt I'll ever do it again (serialized story and with a co-author) but it has been fun. LOL

:clap:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1258 on: November 03, 2019, 06:13:54 AM »
Today I'm starting out 2,171 words to the negative because I just deleted a chunk of text from one of my novels in progress.  :writethink: This is when I really wish I tracked my words differently. It's going to be a bear today getting my count up to 1,714 so I can stay on track with my attempt to participate in nano this year.

Well, you could move the deleted words to the end of the document to be deleted later.  That way, you can still count how many words were written for the day without having to figure out how to deal with deletions.

In my case, I'm usually only deleting a small number of words at a time.  So a random word here and there is easy to "make up" for in a day's writing session.  Technically, you might have written 105 words, but it only shows up as 90 because of deletions or whatever.

I do have notes within the document that kind of pad the overall word count (though, when starting new documents, I make a note of how many words of notes I have and keep those close to the notes so I can quickly figure out the length of the actual manuscript by checking that count and deducting from the total word count).  There are times I could simply delete the notes, but then the overall word count drops and if I do that in the middle of the month, it makes tracking words per month more difficult.  So, if I delete notes, I wait until the first day of the month.  Usually, though, since they are at the end of the document (sometimes the beginning), I will use a strike-thru on the notes I'm done with rather than delete them.  Like this.  Keeps the word count the same but I can easily see what can be deleted later.  Again, those are at the end (or beginning) of the document, so it's not like they are mixed in with the active text, which would be a nightmare to hunt down later.

Like, right now, I said the space opera is about 85k words long.  It's actually maybe closer to 84k since there are about a thousand words of notes.

On the lame space opera, I did at one point delete about 5k words in the middle of the month, so I made a note on the sheet of paper where I track my daily word counts and separated the halves of the month so I could keep track of the word count still.  Or maybe I didn't because now I can't find the note where I thought I did that.

:shrug

Anyway, just some ideas.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1259 on: November 03, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »

:tup3b

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1260 on: November 03, 2019, 06:14:53 AM »
I wrote a whopping 105 words yesterday.

Lynn

« Reply #1261 on: November 03, 2019, 07:17:38 AM »

Well, you could move the deleted words to the end of the document to be deleted later.  That way, you can still count how many words were written for the day without having to figure out how to deal with deletions.

In my case, I'm usually only deleting a small number of words at a time.  So a random word here and there is easy to "make up" for in a day's writing session.  Technically, you might have written 105 words, but it only shows up as 90 because of deletions or whatever.

I do have notes within the document that kind of pad the overall word count (though, when starting new documents, I make a note of how many words of notes I have and keep those close to the notes so I can quickly figure out the length of the actual manuscript by checking that count and deducting from the total word count).  There are times I could simply delete the notes, but then the overall word count drops and if I do that in the middle of the month, it makes tracking words per month more difficult.  So, if I delete notes, I wait until the first day of the month.  Usually, though, since they are at the end of the document (sometimes the beginning), I will use a strike-thru on the notes I'm done with rather than delete them.  Like this.  Keeps the word count the same but I can easily see what can be deleted later.  Again, those are at the end (or beginning) of the document, so it's not like they are mixed in with the active text, which would be a nightmare to hunt down later.

Like, right now, I said the space opera is about 85k words long.  It's actually maybe closer to 84k since there are about a thousand words of notes.

On the lame space opera, I did at one point delete about 5k words in the middle of the month, so I made a note on the sheet of paper where I track my daily word counts and separated the halves of the month so I could keep track of the word count still.  Or maybe I didn't because now I can't find the note where I thought I did that.

:shrug

Anyway, just some ideas.

Lots of good ideas there. I do something similar, except these notes had been there for two years and were starting to bog me down on that story. I need to get back to it because I want to finish it like sometime this decade and I redrafted the entire first chapter so the document contained the old first chapter with those notes too. So it was time to get rid of them so I could see things from a fresh perspective and not get bogged down by old stuff.

But I do kind of usually just push big issues down the page so to speak (I write all in one document) and leave them until I just can't take it any longer and then finally delete them (cut them and put them in a cuts file for that particular book--learned that lesson early and well, because it can be a pain to remember which of the 105 backups contains the exact cut part I want to recover after all only to realize the cut part never made it into a backup because I wrote it, then cut it almost immediately and never backed the file up during that process).

I do sometimes mark in a column in my daily word count spreadsheet if I made a big cut so that I feel better when I see that I only wrote 10 words on a day I spent all day writing. But the truth is most of the time if I mark down that I wrote 10 words, I really only wrote 10 words. :D

The biggest issue is that my spreadsheet tracks exactly what I want it to track which is publishable words, and yet sometimes, I look at it and wish it tracked actual effort. :D But sadly I can't have it both ways and I like the ease of just logging ending word counts for my documents, because there's no real math required. The spreadsheet does it all for me.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1262 on: November 03, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
I only use a spreadsheet for the "big picture" and not my daily word counts.

For the daily word counts, I have a sheet of note paper.  Pocket-sized, though I almost never carry a pad in my pocket, but I make them that size for consistency and in case I do, and there are cases for when I do, just not for word counts.  Anyway, the top of the sheet has the starting word count, which is typically the word count from the end of the previous month.  Then, each day, I write the new total word count and next to it is where I write the words written for that day.  Occasionally, I resort to using a calculator, but I try to do the math in my head.  I figure it's a good idea to give the brain exercise and not rely on machines all the time.

For the "big picture" I have a spreadsheet listing all my books and planned books.  I update periodically with how many words are completed per book.  I don't have a set period for when I update.  I updated once in 2016, once in 2017, three times last year and five times so far this year.  Usually, I just update when I finish something or think of another WIP to add.

For example, when looking through the notes I had from my Newton from the last backup (two days before the note I wanted to be sure to keep - oy), I found a note for my writing.  Evidently, I had planned to write a screenplay for a short story I had written five years earlier.  Never did write said screenplay and not sure there'd be a point in doing so now, but that was the plan back then.  Also, I had planned to finish writing two novels that, twenty-five years later, remain unfinished.  LOL.  The other one was to write a novel with a title I don't recognize, so obviously it's something I've forgotten.  Do I add that to my WIPs?  Well, if I could remember what it was supposed to be about, I would.

But, that's typically when I update, when something is finished, when I have a new idea for a book or when I find a note for an idea I had a long time ago.  Then each work has an estimated word count for completion.  More like a target amount.

And then I'll update my current average word count.  I think the last time I took the average of several months, maybe the year so far, not sure, but I then use that to calculate how many years it will take me to finish everything on the list.  I really, really need to get back up to a minimum of 1,000 words a day average.  Otherwise, it will take me 72 years to finish everything.  At 1,000 words a day (minimum), I can wrap them up in about 13 years.

Lynn

« Reply #1263 on: November 03, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
I only use a spreadsheet for the "big picture" and not my daily word counts.

For the daily word counts, I have a sheet of note paper.  Pocket-sized, though I almost never carry a pad in my pocket, but I make them that size for consistency and in case I do, and there are cases for when I do, just not for word counts.  Anyway, the top of the sheet has the starting word count, which is typically the word count from the end of the previous month.  Then, each day, I write the new total word count and next to it is where I write the words written for that day.  Occasionally, I resort to using a calculator, but I try to do the math in my head.  I figure it's a good idea to give the brain exercise and not rely on machines all the time.

For the "big picture" I have a spreadsheet listing all my books and planned books.  I update periodically with how many words are completed per book.  I don't have a set period for when I update.  I updated once in 2016, once in 2017, three times last year and five times so far this year.  Usually, I just update when I finish something or think of another WIP to add.

For example, when looking through the notes I had from my Newton from the last backup (two days before the note I wanted to be sure to keep - oy), I found a note for my writing.  Evidently, I had planned to write a screenplay for a short story I had written five years earlier.  Never did write said screenplay and not sure there'd be a point in doing so now, but that was the plan back then.  Also, I had planned to finish writing two novels that, twenty-five years later, remain unfinished.  LOL.  The other one was to write a novel with a title I don't recognize, so obviously it's something I've forgotten.  Do I add that to my WIPs?  Well, if I could remember what it was supposed to be about, I would.

But, that's typically when I update, when something is finished, when I have a new idea for a book or when I find a note for an idea I had a long time ago.  Then each work has an estimated word count for completion.  More like a target amount.

And then I'll update my current average word count.  I think the last time I took the average of several months, maybe the year so far, not sure, but I then use that to calculate how many years it will take me to finish everything on the list.  I really, really need to get back up to a minimum of 1,000 words a day average.  Otherwise, it will take me 72 years to finish everything.  At 1,000 words a day (minimum), I can wrap them up in about 13 years.

I only put stuff in the list on mine if I've written something for it more than notes, or if it's the next book in one of my series. I have 15 wips listed right now, but I'm only really actively working on 8 of those. (And 34 finished projects listed a few blank lines below those so my cumulative word counts stay accurate).

More recently, I had put dates on mine and used my average daily word count for the last 7 years (then last month because the 7 year average was too depressing) and let the spreadsheet tell me when everything would theoretically be finished if I wrote to a certain length which I never manage to do. Last novel was supposed to be 55,000 words and ended up 115,000. Last short story was supposed to be between 6000-9000 and ended up 24,000 words. So my estimates are not even halfway reliable in any way, so I deleted them.

I redo them every time I get stuck on something, because I'm obstinate if nothing else.

My sheet does have the big picture thing going for it too. Sheet one is a list of the stories and their current word counts (with a two line blank to separate finished things from unfinished things). Sheet two is where I paste the day's ending total and it calculates the daily total which becomes part of the daily log. Sheet three is the one that adds up the daily words into monthly words and yearly words.

I add things and take things away from the sheets all the time. Like, earlier this year, I was determined to track time. Then I got annoyed when I felt like I was spending all day writing but my sheet was telling me I'd spent one hour writing so I deleted that. I archive my file too often though, so I've done that probably four or five times a year since 2012 and recovered the data, then deleted it all over again. :D

I did try a paper log once, but I don't know how you keep it updated. I always forgot to do it. It was that extra step of being away from the computer for me I think that interfered.

I don't want to know the number of years it would take me to finish at my current pace. I did it once after you mentioned that in the past and I never, ever, ever want to do it again.   :lalala

And yes, I am pretty desperate to increase my daily word count average, because otherwise I'm going to croak long before I finish half the stuff I already know I want to write. :D
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1264 on: November 04, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
I wrote 515 words yesterday.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1265 on: November 05, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »
Between yesterday and today, I wrote 1,628 words. I think we're headed toward the big confrontation.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1266 on: November 05, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
I wrote 580 words yesterday.

Lynn

« Reply #1267 on: November 05, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
I wrote 408 words yesterday.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1268 on: November 06, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »
I wrote 90 words yesterday.  Seemed like more but that was it.

I'm still feeling bummed about losing the data on my Newton.  What makes it even worse is that there is an option to backup the data to the card which is installed in the device.  I think I thought it was full, but it had enough room to back up all the data on the device.  If only I had tapped the "backup" button, all the data would have been saved.  But, no, stupid me, I never tried that.  So, 24 years of data gone.

It's really bothering me more than it should.  There were the two notes that I mentioned I had copied the contents of to my iPad.  Wish I had taken a photo or something to preserve them as they were.  They're gone.  The "originals" anyway.  It's like it shouldn't bother me because I have the contents saved, but still losing the originals bothers me.

There were two other things I thought I might have lost on there, but have subsequently found elsewhere.  One in particular gave me a great sense of relief.  Yet, the relief was only temporary and I revert to being really bummed about it all.

The biggest bummer is that a simple tap of that "backup" button would have saved it all.  And that message popped up every time I turned on the device.  Like I said, I thought the card was full, but why did I never let curiosity get the better of me and try it anyway?

When I copied the two notes I mentioned, I vaguely recall looking through the device and determining those were the things of importance.  And they probably were.  But there were assorted notes that gave a nice time capsule aspect to it.  They didn't seem as important, though surely I could have taken the time to make note of them, to write them all down.  I don't think there was a lot.  And that sort of bugs me too.  Why am I bummed out when when I had the data I didn't think it was a priority to keep the data?

Some of the notes I remember are ones that were preserved on the last backup.  It's all the stuff in between, scant though they may have been, that's missing.  I think I had a note about my dog on there.  I remember what it said, but when was it?  That feels important now though I guess it didn't before.

And the smiley face I had drawn.  When did I do that?  I can draw another, sure, but not the same.

Am I bummed out more at losing the originals of the notes I copied or at all the stuff I had deemed not a priority to save?  I know there wasn't much, so why should it bother me?  It's akin to losing a day's worth of eMails, which I've had happen before.  Maybe because it's like a day's worth of eMails spread out over 24 years?  I don't know.

The Newton MessagePad still works.  Most of the apps are still there.  But it's like seeing an old friend and they don't remember you.  And, maybe, if you'd been a better friend, if you'd tapped that "backup" button or made an effort to do a proper backup or even took pictures of stuff on the screen, maybe they'd remember you.

Always backup your stuff.  Even the stuff that seems unimportant.  It might be more important when you don't have it than when you do.  If you can't do a proper backup, take screenshots or photos or hand-write notes or whatever.

It's kind of like when you have multiple pets and one dies and you look at the other one(s) and it just makes you sad because it reminds you of the one you lost.  And you focus on what you lost instead of what's still there.  And, of course, you know you should focus on what's still there, but you can't help feeling down about what you've lost.

I don't know.  I shouldn't feel this bummed about losing stuff I apparently didn't deem important enough to save.

On the other hand, just one tap of a button would have saved it all.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1269 on: November 06, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
Aww, Dan!     :Healing:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1270 on: November 07, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
601 words so far.  Hope to get a few more tonight!  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Lynn

« Reply #1271 on: November 07, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Wrote 5,862 yesterday.

*These kind of days are kind of special to me. :D My best word count for one day is still in the 6k range. So yay!!!
Don't rush me.

Lynn

« Reply #1272 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:21 AM »
I'm still feeling bummed about losing the data on my Newton.  What makes it even worse is that there is an option to backup the data to the card which is installed in the device.  I think I thought it was full, but it had enough room to back up all the data on the device.  If only I had tapped the "backup" button, all the data would have been saved.  But, no, stupid me, I never tried that.  So, 24 years of data gone.

Hugs. :D Seriously.

I did something stupider by far a few years ago and I'm still not over it. In 2014 I deleted my electronic journals for all previous years since I'd started keeping them in Evernote. I was in a terrible mood and I just deleted them.

A month later, I was over it and devastated. I thought I had a backup somewhere, surely, because even though I'd meant to delete them, I backed up my old computers and surely could paste together something.

Nope. No backups anywhere for any of them. NONE. I spent years looking for them, just in case I'd overlooked something. To this day, I wish I hadn't done that.

I made a note at the top of my journals (OneNote now), all caps, bold, yada yada:

REMEMBER - Do not delete journals again!

You very much regret doing it before. Don't make that mistake again.
Bump to put this at the top.

I hope it stops bothering you so much eventually. I'm sorry to say, don't count on it. But I did get used to it and have been able to let it go when I don't let myself think about it too hard. Maybe you'll be able to do that too.
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1273 on: November 07, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
Wrote 5,862 yesterday.

*These kind of days are kind of special to me. :D My best word count for one day is still in the 6k range. So yay!!!

Wow! Congrats...great day!  :goodpost:

The following users thanked this post: Lynn

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1274 on: November 07, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
Wrote 5,862 yesterday.

More like a week for me.  :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1275 on: November 07, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »
Another 537 words.  I'm done for tonight...going to watch Murdoch Mysteries.  :mhk9U91:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1276 on: November 07, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
183. Trying to sneak up on the big scene.

Lynn

« Reply #1277 on: November 08, 2019, 03:28:19 AM »
I wrote 2,608 words yesterday.

And finally finished one of the many wips I have going. :D
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1278 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:41 AM »
I wrote 2,608 words yesterday.

And finally finished one of the many wips I have going. :D

Congrats!  :clap:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1279 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
557 words today.  :catrun

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #1280 on: November 08, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
1300 words today.

Lynn

« Reply #1281 on: November 09, 2019, 01:40:58 AM »
Wrote 765 words yesterday.
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1282 on: November 09, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »
1,878 words.  It was a good day!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1283 on: November 09, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
I wrote 857 words today while waiting for my car not to be fixed. At least the time wasn't wasted. Up to 185 pages and 43.7K words. I don't think I'm as close to the big scene as I thought I was.

Lynn

« Reply #1284 on: November 10, 2019, 05:14:31 AM »
Wrote 3,491 words yesterday. :) On a bit of a roll I think. :D
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1285 on: November 10, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »
1,523 words...at least halfway finished with this final book in the series!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1286 on: November 10, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
My  :dog1: did not want me writing tonight, but I prevailed. 1,094 words, 189 pages and 44.8K total words.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1287 on: November 10, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
After a few days at 2000-3000 I managed 6000 yesterday.  Today I'm fried. Plus we're out to dinner tonight, and I can never settle when I have something scheduled.

Lynn

« Reply #1288 on: November 11, 2019, 06:12:49 AM »
Wrote 1,315 words yesterday.

I read my finished story this morning and put in my proofing edits. I should write or move on to the other one I finished a couple of days ago and do the proofread of it too, but I can't focus. I usually move to publishing tasks at this point and I think the fact that I still haven't decided on publish order is throwing me for a total loop. :D

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I've never had two stories finished at the same time. ;D Usually the moment I finish something, I do the edits, do my publishing stuff, and then publish.

I'm even debating trading the titles. I literally had these two titles reversed when I started them, decided that was wrong, changed them, and now I'm thinking I had them right to begin with. So indecisive today. ;D

I have a feeling I'm going to end the day with nothing done but a lot of waffling over my next move. :D
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1289 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »
1,375 words today.  Tomorrow is the big party...finally!!!  :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1290 on: November 11, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Two writing sessions today and I did 1,442 words. Total is now 196 pages and 46.3K words. The big scene just snuck up on me and now I have to get them all out alive. Haven't a clue.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1291 on: November 12, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
1,139 words.   :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1292 on: November 12, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
Just lost all of tonight's wordage.  :HB

Lynn

« Reply #1293 on: November 12, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
Oh no! What happened?
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1294 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
Oh no! What happened?

Instead of starting a new file on my AlphaSmart, which I do every night, I forgot and started tonight's work at the end of yesterday's file. When I realized what I'd done, I selected the new wordage, intending to copy it into a new file. I wanted to make sure it copied over before I deleted it. I don't use the commands very often on the AS so I turned it over to double check. My fingers hit something and all of the selected text was gone. Just gone forever.  :dizzy

I can recreate it, I'm sure. I'm just feeling too discouraged to try right now. I don't think this has ever happened to me before. I've always been able to recover anything I accidentally deleted and even accidental deletions have very rarely happened.

Where's Hermione when I need her?

Lynn

« Reply #1295 on: November 12, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
I'm so sorry!
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1296 on: November 13, 2019, 05:55:26 AM »
Oh no! What happened?

Instead of starting a new file on my AlphaSmart, which I do every night, I forgot and started tonight's work at the end of yesterday's file. When I realized what I'd done, I selected the new wordage, intending to copy it into a new file. I wanted to make sure it copied over before I deleted it. I don't use the commands very often on the AS so I turned it over to double check. My fingers hit something and all of the selected text was gone. Just gone forever.  :dizzy

I can recreate it, I'm sure. I'm just feeling too discouraged to try right now. I don't think this has ever happened to me before. I've always been able to recover anything I accidentally deleted and even accidental deletions have very rarely happened.

Where's Hermione when I need her?

Maggie Ann, I'm so sorry.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1297 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:44 AM »
I'm sorry, too, Maggie Ann.  I hope you can figure out how to get those words back.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1298 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
1900 words today and figured out a plot twist. :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1299 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
Thanks for all the support, guys. I'm determined to write even better words tonight.