Author Topic: Your Crazy Dream (tm)  (Read 4428 times)

munboy

Your Crazy Dream (tm)
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
I'm wondering....what's your crazy dream(tm) when it comes to writing/creating? What is the one completely nuts thing you'd love to do but would have to have a lot of things fall into place (eg, come into money...lots and lots of money)?

I'll give you mine as an example.

I have two middle grade series planned (the first book in the first series is written) based on kid superheroes. If I had a nice chunk of cash just laying around (we're talking 6 figures+ here), I'd absolutely love to have a lot of tie-ins for the series. A mobile fighting-style game along the lines of Marvel's or Disney's new one. A trading card game along the lines of Magic or Pokemon. A board game. The whole works.

It's a pipe dream, but I think about it often.

EDIT: A table top RPG game!!  :eek:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:16:51 AM by munboy »

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

idontknowyet

Re: Your Crazy Dream (tm)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »
My crazy dream is just writing a book people read. I cant imagine anything past that or even that happening.

Insanity would be the whole twilight thing, but I don't think I would want the craziness of all that.

The following users thanked this post: munboy

Vijaya

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:38:54 AM »
Fun! I've dreamed of turning our little cul-de-sac into a writing, eating, and drinking haven with Bodach Books, Brews, and Barbecue :) We'll live in the  house we live now, but the one on the left will be a publishing house with books, books everywhere and editors and artists and a printing press. The house on the right will have the brewery/barbecue. My husband is a wonderful cook/brewmeister. Hammocks, benches, cozy little nooks for reading and writing everywhere. And of course, everything I write will be amazing and popular! Ah, I love day-dreaming! Now back to work! Aren't we lucky that we get to live our dream, if only a piece of it?!!!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: munboy, Keith Ward, angela

Writer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
I'd like to make enough money that I can relax and say, "If it all ends tomorrow, my retirement and future needs are safe." I'm only in my thirties, so that's gonna take a lot of savings.

But the truth is, I know myself. If I made a million dollars this year, I'd work harder next year, obsessed with the idea of making two million. Not because I need the money, but because I need the productivity. I need to know that I'm working toward a goal. It means nothing to say that I've already hit it. That just makes me break out fresh goals, a lot of them completely unreasonable.

VanessaC

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:39 PM »
Oh, fun!

My crazy dream is to make a full time income (and then some) from my writing so I can chuck in the day job, pay off my mortgage, afford a new car and have the flexibility to organise my time so I can go on lots of adventures with my dog.

Oh, and also get a "brother" for my dog to come on adventures with us.

I actually like my day job (most of the time) and really appreciate that it pays my bills, but being a full time writer is what I've always wanted to be.  The opportunities for indie authors mean it's more possible for more people and I hope, one day, that will be me.

Still a few years away for me, I think, but we need dreams, don't we?

:smilie_zauber:

(Edited for typo.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:19:12 AM by VanessaC »

Genre: Fantasy

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
I just want to make enough so that my husband can quit his job and take a much needed break.

The following users thanked this post: A Fading Street, sliderule, munboy

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:36:22 AM »
I haven't really thought about this....LOL

Remodel the old farmhouse, put a new fence around the horse pasture, and hire a garden crew to do most of my weeding!  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

HSh

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:39 AM »
Pay off my house, live comfortably but frugally, not have to worry about money. 

I would also love to someday have enough money to buy more land.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:53 AM »
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward men. 

I just remodeled my house so I'm happy with that. I'm retired so I don't have to quit a day job. And my net income from book sales is so small that it does not have to be replaced.

:dog1:

Vijaya

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 04:10:54 AM »
I just want to make enough so that my husband can quit his job and take a much needed break.

This!!! My husband is so ready to retire and devote his time to pursuits other than engineering.

notthatamanda

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 04:49:36 AM »

This!!! My husband is so ready to retire and devote his time to pursuits other than engineering.

I'm all about being wide so my wide plan for early retirement includes my writing career and sneaking a bucks worth of change out of the bowl to get a lottery ticket at the supermarket every week. 

Rosie Scott

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »
I'm already happy with my career and income level and everything. More money would always be nice, but it's not necessary.

My dream is similar to yours, munboy. I want video game spin-offs of both my series. The New World would make for one heckuva stealth-action game in the vein of a dystopian Splinter Cell, and the Six Elements series needs both a Dynasty Warriors type hack-n-slash with my entire roster of characters and a Total War large-scale warfare strategy game. I've even thought so far into this that I know what each character's special abilities would be, their weaknesses, resource acquisition qualities, etc. For example: if an allied general dies within a short distance of my MC, she gets a boost to offense and speed due to her special ability of vengeance-induced rage. Her lover (a necromancer and healer) would raise corpses with higher defense than most since he shields them with life magic. Another character general would be great for offense because his army of shapeshifter berserkers are great in the frontlines, but their weakness would be prep time since it takes time to transform into beasts.

I've spent an embarrassing amount of time thinking into this, and it doesn't help that I've had readers say they wish they could play a video game featuring my characters. I did spend some time years ago messing around with RPG Maker, but realistically, the types of games I want couldn't be made with just me on the team. If I were rich I'd call up Creative Assembly studios with the number I happen to have handy (yeah, right) and pay them to make a Total War: Six Elements. I'd play the @($*ing heck outta that.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Joseph Malik

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
Talking Italian rapier, conlangs, and the death of traditional publishing with Stephen Colbert.

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
Talking Italian rapier, conlangs, and the death of traditional publishing with Stephen Colbert.

We need up votes.

Shane

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
Went to see Leonard Cohen in concert a couple years ago and he said, "Last time I stood on this stage I was just a 60 year old kid with crazy dream."

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da, munboy, TinkSaid, Joseph Malik

munboy

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 12:35:02 AM »
Went to see Leonard Cohen in concert a couple years ago and he said, "Last time I stood on this stage I was just a 60 year old kid with crazy dream."

Hallelujah.

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, Joseph Malik

Joseph Malik

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:49 AM »

"Everybody Knows" is in the Spotify List I'm writing to right now. I dream of it as the title theme to Coin of the Realm.

spin52

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:19:38 AM »
One of my first reviews on co.uk said they thought my first series would make a great TV mini-series. I'm still waiting for the BBC or ITV to call.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: HSh, munboy

Shane

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
One of my first reviews on co.uk said they thought my first series would make a great TV mini-series. I'm still waiting for the BBC or ITV to call.

One of my first reviews on Kobo said, "this story plodded along on a formulaic path, with the usual predictable twist at the end." I too am waiting for the BBC or ITV to call.

The following users thanked this post: munboy, Joseph Malik

Vijaya

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »

One of my first reviews on Kobo said, "this story plodded along on a formulaic path, with the usual predictable twist at the end." I too am waiting for the BBC or ITV to call.

:icon_lol2:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 02:02:24 AM »

Never mind the BBC; you should be expecting a call from J.J. Abrams.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LD

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
Be able to buy that $50 million dream house, plus enough in retirement to upkeep it without having to make sacrifices elsewhere.

munboy

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 02:32:52 AM »

Never mind the BBC; you should be expecting a call from J.J. Abrams.

Shots fired.  :icon_rofl:

Keith Ward

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 01:43:53 AM »
I'll be old enough to retire from my day job in five years. I'd like to be able to make enough money writing full time to supplement my income and live comfortably.

BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Blurb unlocked
  • Bill Smith, author of the Outlaw Galaxy series.
    • BillSmithBooks.com
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
Make enough to be able to write full-time (unfortunately, either me or my wife will need a job with healthcare benefits because stupid American healthcare system). Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy being able to trundle to my laptop every day, bang out 1500-2000 words and humbly submit a new book to the uncaring masses, hoping that enough folks like it that I can keep on doing that every month.

If things really took off, life would be pretty similar, just a little easier ... spend a few weeks in the winter within driving distance of the Florida beaches and Magic Kingdom/Universal, do a few cons (more for fun and to meet cool people, but some selling ... I really love public speaking, so I'd be totally up for doing lots of panels), go on modest vacations. But ultimately, write those chapters every day and keep on doing that.

Harry Potter success initially seems appealing ... but with a little thought, seems like it would be more of a burden than anything. I would be perfectly happy being just successful enough that the occasional fan recognizes me but being anonymous. Things like movies and video games and comic books and action figures tickle my nerd fancy, but that means a lot more time spent administrating/supervising/collaborating, and honestly, I am perfectly happy just doing my own little thing and publishing it.
Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series of space adventure novels and several Star Wars books. Found at all major retailers as well as at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Bill blogs at www.BillSmithBlog.com. Get the Outlaw Galaxy: Little Wind and Other Tales short story collection FREE at all major retailers.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »
My crazy dream has always been to win a Nebula award (and a Hugo, but lately that seems like more trouble than fun). I've wanted to do this since I was a kid. I'd be respected and known in the SF community, and people would like my books.

My goal is to make a modest living from my writing so I don't have to be worried about real estate holdings under bridges and overpasses.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Vijaya

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
My crazy dream has always been to win a Nebula award (and a Hugo, but lately that seems like more trouble than fun). I've wanted to do this since I was a kid. I'd be respected and known in the SF community, and people would like my books.

My goal is to make a modest living from my writing so I don't have to be worried about real estate holdings under bridges and overpasses.

I relate to the crazy dream. For me, it's the Newbery (kidlit). I'm so happy we get to do what we love--write stories!