Author Topic: Scrivener Tips: Title Page, Placeholders, $include, Version Info  (Read 1875 times)

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

Time give back to the forum. Here are some Scrivener tips:

1. <$include>

If you want to have the same title page for your MOBI, ePub, PDF, etc., just put something like "<$include:RefDocTitlePage>" in each of those title pages, then put the title page text in a single document (see image below).

2. Use placeholders to fill in data on the title page.

For example, I use the <$author> title page for the subtitle of the book (it would be nice if Scrivener allowed you to create custom placeholders but it doesn't). I use <$abbr_title> for the version number. You enter the values for those fields in the compile settings meta data tab.

3. Add version info to title page.

I put version info for each compile on the title page, including the date and time that it was created. This has saved my butt several times. For example, if you get a report of an issue from a beta reader, you can know what version of the book he/she read. I also keep track of the changes in a document within the project:

Code: [Select]
B01 8/3/18 11:41:15 AM
For my own first read.
B02 For Lena
B03 8/19/18 3:33:31 PM After listening to audio
P01 9/2/18 10:47:50 AM Includes final draft modifications, reduction in em dashes, other suggestions from Julie’s email.
RC01 Sent for blueline edit
RC02 9/30/18 3:23:40 PM Made blue line changes
RC03 9/30/18 4:01:27 PM Fixed numbered list problem
RC04 10/1/18 7:25:28 AM Changed to direct link for link to review page. Removed links from title page and acknowledgments for paperback.
RC05 10/3/18 8:22:23 AM Fixed the typo in scene one, “Jerked back hood” to “protruded from the fabric of her sweatshirt’s hood.”

The compiled result is shown on the right side:

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Cookie Monster, author

guest215

Re: Scrivener Tips: Title Page, Placeholders, $include, Version Info
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
I'm having terrible Scrivener flashbacks.

I'm so glad I bought a Mac so I could run Vellum.  :dog1:

All due respect to those of you who soldier on!

She-la-te-da

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
Lord, but I don't put that much work into anything. I'm sure this will help others, though. I'm lazy. :D
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

YouMeWe

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
Lord, but I don't put that much work into anything. I'm sure this will help others, though. I'm lazy. :D

:icon_lol2:

Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.