Author Topic: Amazon Hits Back (Author's Earnings)  (Read 1339 times)

Shoe

Amazon Hits Back (Author's Earnings)
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:16:52 AM »
Has this article made the rounds here? Some interesting numbers:

Amazon hits back at claims it is to blame for falling author earnings

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/16/amazon-hits-back-author-earnings-authors-guild-survey
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

ilamont

Re: Amazon Hits Back (Author's Earnings)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »
“As a result, many of the survey’s conclusions are flawed or contradictory. For instance, the survey also shows that earnings increased almost 17% for traditionally published authors and 89% for independent [self-published] authors, and that full-time authors saw their median income rise 13% since 2013.”

Amazon's two favorite words when it comes to press coverage are "no comment." So when it goes out of its way to publicly dispute something, you know it's important.

Here's the story Amazon wants to push: Amazon isn't taking away money from creators/businesses/brands. It's helping them earn more, and letting millions of new creators/businesses/brands find customers! And it has plenty of ammunition to use to support this story, whether it's questioning dubious statistics from a critic or trotting out selected data points.

What Amazon wants to put off as long as possible are government enquiries into its business, including Congressional hearings, antitrust investigations, FTC enquiries, etc. Tamping down brush fires like author earnings and replacing it with another narrative is crucial to keeping negative buzz from building to a crescendo and resulting in real government action.

My 2 cents.   
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

The following users thanked this post: Shoe, DrewMcGunn, MelanieMRodriguez