Author Topic: Anyone know why the number of guests has jumped dramatically?  (Read 4149 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
I keep tabs on the number of people accessing the forum during my day, and it seems we had a big jump not long ago, which seems to be increasing. The increase is mainly Guests.

Anyone know why?

I'm assuming someone has mentioned the forum somewhere, and we're getting a lot of lookers as a result.

Registrations seem to be about normal though, so I'm not sure what the guests are thinking they will see.

Just curiosity on my part.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Anyone know why the number of guests has jumped dramatically?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 03:02:58 AM »
I don't visit Kboards anymore. Could this be indicative of some new nonsense perpetrated by the new owners? That might account for more people looking for a new home.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:56 AM »
Could some be bots?  The forum is probably old enough now to be getting various bots searching it and maybe those are being counted as guests.

I started a forum last September.  There are only two registered and approved members (myself and another person) and neither of us has posted since September, so no new, fresh content being added.  But, the number of "visitors" took a bump in February and another bump in March.  Since it's not advertised anywhere and I'm sure no one is talking about it, I figure that traffic is coming from assorted bots and spammers and such.  I get maybe three to five registrations a day on it, none of which I've approved yet.  I figure most are spammers.

Possibly WF is experiencing a similar bump, unless you're getting a huge surge or something.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:13:37 AM »
I don't visit Kboards anymore. Could this be indicative of some new nonsense perpetrated by the new owners? That might account for more people looking for a new home.

Activity there today is among the highest I've seen it since the exodus.  I think some of the never-going-back-there people are even posting there again, though I can't be sure on that because I don't remember for certain who all had said that.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Becca Mills

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 03:20:13 AM »
It's weird and a little disturbing, but apparently the internet is mostly bots these days. The more Google-indexed threads you accumulate, the more bot traffic you attract ... that's my guess, anyway.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/bots-bots-bots/515043/
Recently Read ...

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 04:24:22 AM »
Things get mentioned. TOP used to be "THE" place for indie publishing information. WS is now roughly its equal in the number of posts and information, and its superior in policy and moderation.

I think it's simply attracting its due attention, in a virtuous cycle.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
Like holy sh*t!  :haironfire

Most Online Today: 333

That's almost double yesterday.

And that's in a 1 hour period.

:icon_think:

TOP used to be "THE" place for indie publishing information. WS is now roughly its equal in the number of posts and information, and its superior in policy and moderation.

I think it's simply attracting its due attention, in a virtuous cycle.

:banana:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Do you have Google Analytics set up on the site?
The Referral stats might be able to shred some light on the matter.

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
Do you have Google Analytics set up on the site?
The Referral stats might be able to shred some light on the matter.

Not GA, but the site stats seem to be saying about 50% of hits are for less than 2 seconds. So bots.

Still indicates a lot more guests, even if half are bots.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 12:49:28 AM »
Yeah, bots are inevitable, but if we have that much new, real traffic, that's a good sign.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 02:51:26 AM »
As Michelle says, if you install google analytics on the site you'll be able to see how people get here. I.e. referrals from other sites, search engines, etc. The other thing it will show you is bounce rates, number of pages viewed, landing page, how often the visitor visits the site, etc. It's a powerful tool to find the answer to your question.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 02:58:33 AM »
You're probably better off installing something like Matomo (formerly Piwik) which can be hosted on your own server rather than installing something from Google and letting Google know all the behind-the-scenes information on your website.  I think there would be greater privacy protection with something like Matomo than with Google Analytics.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:07:07 AM »
You're probably better off installing something like Matomo (formerly Piwik) which can be hosted on your own server rather than installing something from Google and letting Google know all the behind-the-scenes information on your website.  I think there would be greater privacy protection with something like Matomo than with Google Analytics.
As well as fewer GDPR issues--or so I'd think, anyway.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:08:01 AM »
It's funny that we were just wondering about why the number of posts seemed to be declining. Now my unread posts since the last visit list is getting longer again. Hmm....

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

RappaDizzy

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 06:16:52 AM »
Drive-by bots! Can a terminator robot be far behind?

:haironfire

Mark Kelly

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »
I was one of the non-bot guests yesterday who became a member. When you're looking to procrastinate (like me), KB just doesn't have enough interesting posts anymore. Now, I have to spread my time-wasting around a bunch of sites.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, Rosie Scott

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
I was one of the non-bot guests yesterday who became a member. When you're looking to procrastinate (like me), KB just doesn't have enough interesting posts anymore. Now, I have to spread my time-wasting around a bunch of sites.

Welcome, fellow time-waster!  grint

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Mark Kelly

littleauthor

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »
There was a question on KBoards about Washington state taxes and Amazon and someone posted a link to one of the threads here regarding the same problem. could account for the increased traffic.
"Not working to her full potential."

Anarchist

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »

KB is currently being dominated by nutjobs and newbies with a surprising number of rational vets engaging them.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just the current makeup of the community.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

Mark Kelly

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 01:22:43 AM »
KB is currently being dominated by nutjobs and newbies with a surprising number of rational vets engaging them.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just the current makeup of the community.

Not ironically that seems to pretty much describe the internet in general. In any case, glad I finally got off my butt and signed up here to get access to the secret and dark forum posts. That said, I mostly lurk because I don't have anything useful to add, nor many questions to ask.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 04:43:07 AM »
I was one of the non-bot guests yesterday who became a member.

Welcome aboard, Mark.   :cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Mark Kelly

She-la-te-da

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 05:04:20 AM »
KB is now like a "have to drop in and see the mess" sort of thing, like the KDP forums and a political board I used to be on. Sometimes I need to see how crazy other people are so I can accept that I'm normal.

I guess.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
Google Analytics won't track anyone using NoScript (ie many humans).  At least, that used to be the case. I have GA on permanent untrusted block.

They could still get me by using a pixel or something, which is how web tracking used to be done.