Author Topic: New things I have learnt to do while on lockdown  (Read 11214 times)

spin52

Re: New things I have learnt to do while on lockdown
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2020, 02:30:56 AM »
I learned how to roast cauliflower and broccoli  Grin. Haven't tried it before. Much better than cooking in water as there is no smell (a slice of bread when cooking in water does help, but with roasting there is no smell.)  :icon_cool:

Do you roast the veggies with garlic and olive oil? Very Yum. I roast all my veggies that way: carrots, Brussels sprouts, and green beans.

Yes. With garlic and olive oil. Recipe said I should sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese, but I didn't have any. I also did carrots and potatoes. Haven't tried green beans. Will give them a go as well. I have one of those little glass convection ovens. Very handy to be able to do all the veg together  :icon_cool:

Don't forget parsnips. It's the best way to prepare them. Good for leeks, too. Just cut them in chunks about an inch long.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

notthatamanda

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2020, 02:35:21 AM »
I learned how to roast cauliflower and broccoli  Grin. Haven't tried it before. Much better than cooking in water as there is no smell (a slice of bread when cooking in water does help, but with roasting there is no smell.)  :icon_cool:

Do you roast the veggies with garlic and olive oil? Very Yum. I roast all my veggies that way: carrots, Brussels sprouts, and green beans.

Yes. With garlic and olive oil. Recipe said I should sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese, but I didn't have any. I also did carrots and potatoes. Haven't tried green beans. Will give them a go as well. I have one of those little glass convection ovens. Very handy to be able to do all the veg together  :icon_cool:

Green beans do well sautéing in a pan with just a spritz of oil, if you don't want to turn the oven on and like them a little crunchy.

LilyBLily

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2020, 05:01:05 AM »
It is criminal what people do to Brussels sprouts and cauliflower these days.  :dizzy

Innocent vegetables subjected to oil and sauteing. For shame! :Down:

notthatamanda

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »
Brussel sprouts I like to cut in half an soak in cold water for a couple of hours before cooking. I'm still the only one who likes them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2020, 06:43:02 AM »
Brussel sprouts I like to cut in half an soak in cold water for a couple of hours before cooking. I'm still the only one who likes them.

I used to get them frozen and then just boil with salt. My kids hated the smell so much that I stopped buying them.

Now they're grown and gone and the minute they were out of the house I went back to eating sprouts. I do roast them with olive oil and garlic and they are always a hit with my son-in-law's family at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2020, 04:54:24 AM »

I used to get them frozen and then just boil with salt. My kids hated the smell so much that I stopped buying them.

Now they're grown and gone and the minute they were out of the house I went back to eating sprouts. I do roast them with olive oil and garlic and they are always a hit with my son-in-law's family at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I haven't had sprouts since I was a child. I might try them again if I can roast them.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

notthatamanda

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2020, 07:07:43 AM »
After soaking I spritz them with some olive oil and lemon juice, double wrap in foil and bake them in a 400 degree oven for an hour.  The good part about no one else liking them is I have lots of leftovers I can throw in with my eggs for breakfast.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
After soaking I spritz them with some olive oil and lemon juice, double wrap in foil and bake them in a 400 degree oven for an hour.  The good part about no one else liking them is I have lots of leftovers I can throw in with my eggs for breakfast.

That is definitely one good thing.

I always throw all kinds of veggies in my scrambled eggs, but I never thought of doing sprouts. Of course once I take them out of the oven, I can't stop eating them. So I guess they're never going to make it into my eggs.

idontknowyet

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »
People cook sprouts without bacon??? That should be criminal

Maggie Ann

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
People cook sprouts without bacon??? That should be criminal

Everything is better with bacon

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

notthatamanda

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:11 AM »
I'm Jewish, I wouldn't know.

LilyBLily

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
I like to eat Brussels sprouts plain, cold from the fridge. Sue me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2020, 10:04:25 AM »
Raw? Or cooked and cold? I eat raw broccoli and cauliflower. I have made Brussel slaw after I had it in a restaurant. Maybe I should make it again soon, I did like it a lot. Thanks.

idontknowyet

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »

They make turkey bacon. It's not quite the same but close.

idontknowyet

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
I think I might be the weirdest person ever but I cook my cabbage before making it into slaw. I just can't get past the raw taste. On the other hand broccoli and cauliflower are amazing raw.

Vidya

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
Never tasted cauliflower raw. Didnt even know that was a possibility.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »

And you can buy, or make, cauliflower rice  Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:51:58 PM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »

Especially good dipping it in ranch dressing.

notthatamanda

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »

They make turkey bacon. It's not quite the same but close.
Actually my kids prefer turkey bacon, but it smells like the real stuff, I just can't.

notthatamanda

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2020, 10:23:41 PM »
I think I might be the weirdest person ever but I cook my cabbage before making it into slaw. I just can't get past the raw taste. On the other hand broccoli and cauliflower are amazing raw.
I buy red cabbage and chop it raw for salad. Like radicchio but a lot cheaper and it never goes bad. I need to buy some today, actually, I forgot last week.

notthatamanda

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2020, 10:24:45 PM »

I vastly prefer the homemade cauliflower rice but the frozen is so cheap and easy sometimes I get lazy. I use it instead of pasta or rice for my meals when I am serving them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »

I vastly prefer the homemade cauliflower rice but the frozen is so cheap and easy sometimes I get lazy. I use it instead of pasta or rice for my meals when I am serving them.

I should get some cauliflower rice because even brown rice causes my blood sugar to shoot up. Thanks for the reminder.

LilyBLily

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2020, 12:32:07 AM »
Raw? Or cooked and cold? I eat raw broccoli and cauliflower. I have made Brussel slaw after I had it in a restaurant. Maybe I should make it again soon, I did like it a lot. Thanks.

There still is quite a fashion for raw broccoli and cauliflower for dips, but I'm not a fan. I've had doctored Brussels sprouts and cauliflower at high-end restaurants but really I prefer them boiled or microwaved, either with a little butter on the sprouts when hot or plain when cold. I usually top cauliflower with cheddar cheese and sometimes I throw on some bits of bacon if it's going to be most of my meal. I have been known to eat cold cooked broccoli with mayonnaise. There are worse things; my cousin eats French fries with mayonnaise.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:34:13 AM by LilyBLily »

idontknowyet

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2020, 12:40:13 AM »
Have you tried French Fries dipped in a milk shake???

notthatamanda

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2020, 12:40:44 AM »
I think it is wildly wrong to call orange cauliflower cheddar cauliflower. That sets the expectation that it will taste like cheese. And that goes  triple for "chocolate" peppers.

idontknowyet

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 04:48:54 AM »
Chocolate tomatoes  :shocked:

spin52

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 06:21:55 AM »

Definitely. Use sour cream as a dip.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

notthatamanda

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2020, 07:10:42 AM »

Greek Yogurt for a dip base.

LilyBLily

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »

Greek Yogurt for a dip base.

Sour cream or yogurt for a base, and blue cheese. Good stuff, but I still don't like raw cauliflower. I'd rather dip a cucumber spear.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2020, 01:05:48 AM »
Here's a recipe I picked up from Alexa. Since I love mushrooms and can no longer eat pizza this seems like a solution for me.

https://cafedelites.com/portobello-pizzas/

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2020, 02:17:13 AM »
Here's a recipe I picked up from Alexa. Since I love mushrooms and can no longer eat pizza this seems like a solution for me.

https://cafedelites.com/portobello-pizzas/

Looks interesting. Thanks.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2020, 05:15:01 AM »
I can report that I finally managed a go at emptying the dog's anal glands. I discovered that you have to squeeze quite hard  :icon_rolleyes: Unfortunately it seems they are still infected and it's back to the vet for more antibiotics.  :dog1: :icon_sad:

Tiffmeister

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
Hey. Been a while since I've stopped by, maybe near the beginning of the pandemic. But I have to say. What a time to learn new things? I finally figured how to publish a children's picture book down to hiring the illustrator and the formatter, which had always daunted me. And maybe most of all, I learned to knit finally. I was able to knit my family proper slippers for Christmas. LOL. And I got a lot better at cooking.
Talk about a year spent improving oneself. But missed stopping by and talking to other writers most of all. Happy New Year 2021! -Tiff

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »
Happy New Year, Tiff.  :)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2021, 10:35:41 PM »
Hey. Been a while since I've stopped by, maybe near the beginning of the pandemic. But I have to say. What a time to learn new things? I finally figured how to publish a children's picture book down to hiring the illustrator and the formatter, which had always daunted me. And maybe most of all, I learned to knit finally. I was able to knit my family proper slippers for Christmas. LOL. And I got a lot better at cooking.
Talk about a year spent improving oneself. But missed stopping by and talking to other writers most of all. Happy New Year 2021! -Tiff

Happy New Year.

My kid learned to crochet this weekend. We had taken a stab at it a couple of years ago, but they fell in love with something on instagram and decided they wanted to learn and now they are cranking away. Next lesson, listen to your mother when it comes to yarn. I knew the loop yarn wasn't right, but she convinced me. I'm going to order the regular chenille on line.

I got my husband some cuts of osso buco for Christmas. I can't say I learned how to cook it yet though, first try was a little tough.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2021, 11:40:05 PM »

Welcome back and Happy New Year

LilyBLily

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2021, 02:11:16 AM »
Happy New Year!  :smilie_zauber:

Vinny OHare

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
I have been learning sign language. YouTube videos are amazing for this. No idea if/when I will ever use it but good to know.

LilyBLily

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
I have been trying to learn patience.

notthatamanda

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2021, 10:12:41 PM »
I have been learning sign language. YouTube videos are amazing for this. No idea if/when I will ever use it but good to know.

This is what I used when I was doing signs with my kids as babies.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

It says plug in not supported now, I don't need it so I can't spare the time to mess with it and see get it to work, but it was great if you want a specific word.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2021, 03:19:46 AM »
I learned (or re-learned) sim-racing.  I've always avoided online gaming, preferring single-player, but sim-racing is made for it.

I got so into it I upgraded my steering wheel and pedals, and built a separate computer setup to drive with.  Also has a bucket seat with a huge subwoofer underneath to help with road feel.

Vinny OHare

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »

This is what I used when I was doing signs with my kids as babies.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

It says plug in not supported now, I don't need it so I can't spare the time to mess with it and see get it to work, but it was great if you want a specific word.

Looks like it was made with adobe flash which no longer works :(

notthatamanda

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
Oh sorry. That's too bad. It was a great resource.