Author Topic: Another Content Program that Requires Exclusivity--but Not with Amazon!  (Read 2321 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Scribd has published the first volume in Scribd Originals, an ebook/audiobook platform designed for stories between magazine articles and full-length books. It sounds a little bit like Amazon Original Stories (formerly Kindle Singles).

At first, I got excited because I thought there might be open submissions, but I can't see any evidence of that, except for a vague statement about reaching out to "authors, agents, and publishers." Listing authors separately gave me hope, but it could just be trad published authors. A number of authors have signed up for future projects already.

The one point of interest is that the content will be exclusive to Scribd. That kind of exclusivity has been common in video but so far confined to Amazon in books, at least as far as I know. If it brings more subscribers to Scribd, it might be emulated elsewhere. Interesting fuel for speculation, anyway.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Jeff Tanyard

Bill, have you ever made anything from Scribd?  I have yet to make my first penny there.

At first, I got excited because I thought there might be open submissions, but I can't see any evidence of that, except for a vague statement about reaching out to "authors, agents, and publishers." Listing authors separately gave me hope, but it could just be trad published authors.

From little I've read after a cursory bit of googling, that's exactly what it looks like to me: a new toy for trad-pubbed authors, not a thing for indies.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
Bill, have you ever made anything from Scribd?  I have yet to make my first penny there.

At first, I got excited because I thought there might be open submissions, but I can't see any evidence of that, except for a vague statement about reaching out to "authors, agents, and publishers." Listing authors separately gave me hope, but it could just be trad published authors.

From little I've read after a cursory bit of googling, that's exactly what it looks like to me: a new toy for trad-pubbed authors, not a thing for indies.
I've made very little, but I don't have most of my catalog wide, so it's hard to judge what would happen if I really gave it a shot.

Yes, I feared it would be just for trad-pubbed authors.

However, it will be interesting to see if exclusive content changes the equation at all.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
I make one or two figures per month from Scribd. Four figures per month from each of the second-tier four (Kobo, Apple, B&N, GP)

So, Scibd is negligible to me, and I'd have a tough time believing giving them exclusivity on anything would be advantageous.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Ros

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
I make one or two figures per month from Scribd. Four figures per month from each of the second-tier four (Kobo, Apple, B&N, GP)

So, Scibd is negligible to me, and I'd have a tough time believing giving them exclusivity on anything would be advantageous.
That was my first thought, but they have signed up some recognizable authors.

However, Scribd isn't trying to make anyone's whole catalog exclusive, just the pieces in its new program (which presumably authors are writing specifically for Scribd).

CoraBuhlert

My sales at Scribd vary wildly. Some months I do pretty well, others I don't get anything depending on how their business model works this week. Though Scribd and Bliliotheca are still the only library/subscription services where I've ever made anything approaching a decent income. All the other services only give me the occasional odd sale.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

She-la-te-da

I get a tiny bit every so often from Scribd. I don't have a lot out there, and not doing any advertising at the moment, so I don't expect much.

I'm thinking if this new thing is for trad pub, the authors likely have no choice if their contract says the publisher gets to do this sort of stuff.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

RPatton

I have an attorney friend who uses scribd for work and then grabs whatever books look interesting to her. She's convinced a lot of peers to drop their KU subscriptions because (according to her) the signal to noise ratio is better.

I think (and no evidence, just anecdotal) scribd as a place to find fiction is an afterthought to a lot of people and a happy accident. I honestly can't see the benefit of doing an exclusive deal with them unless it was for a novella and they promised a significant push.

Scribd is weird for me (like the others) some months I make under fifty and then other months I am a little shy of mid 3 figures. No rhyme or reason. I can't figure out a pattern or what's going on. I figure the best months are when an attorney finds a book and recommends it to others in the office or something.

I might be willing to try a book and see how it goes, if they opened it up, but it would have to be a one off and for a limited time.

I honestly don't mind putting a book or two into an exclusive program. It's putting my entire catalog that scares me.