Author Topic: What do you hope to accomplish with your writing in 2019?  (Read 7214 times)

Lorri Moulton

What do you hope to accomplish with your writing in 2019?
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:19:09 AM »
Thought it might be nice to start a thread and see what everyone plans to do this year.  :writethink:

I'm concentrating on finishing two of my series and starting a new one under a pen name.  Also, I want to submit a mystery story to Hallmark and continue promoting my books on social media (which seems to be working for now).  What are your plans?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:27:22 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Denise, cecilia_writer

Post-Crisis D

Re: What do you hope to accomplish with your writing in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:22:23 AM »
I still haven't earned enough from total book sales to cover the cover and editing costs for my first book.  Or even just the cover cost.  I'd like to change that this year.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, The Doctor

ragdoll

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
Triple last year's word count at minimum. Last year was about 200k words, so 600k words. My best productivity year was about 500,000, I think.

Launch a new pen name (this one) for a new genre (thriller/crime fiction) and complete three books in a series for that pen name.

Get enough out over the old name that it keeps my back list going.

Double 2018 net income. I've had years that were almost 4x as much, so, again, I think it's doable.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise

Amanda M. Lee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »
Write 30 novels and five shorts. Make two million for the year. I figured that will mean making 170k a month. We're talking net, not gross. I'm not sure it's feasible but I'm going to give it one heckuva try. Go to at least two conferences (already scheduled). Go to Salem in the run-up to Halloween for research fun (also scheduled). That's pretty much it. Otherwise I will keep on keeping on.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »
Write 30 novels and five shorts. Make two million for the year. I figured that will mean making 170k a month. We're talking net, not gross. I'm not sure it's feasible but I'm going to give it one heckuva try. Go to at least two conferences (already scheduled). Go to Salem in the run-up to Halloween for research fun (also scheduled). That's pretty much it. Otherwise I will keep on keeping on.

Going to Salem for research sounds like fun!  :catrun

The rest...if anyone can do it, you will.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

idontknowyet

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:50:23 AM »
I really really really want to finish my first 9 books. Ideally my first 12-15. It's doable with a decent writing pace, but I don't seem to write at a steady pace. I write nonstop or not at all in spurts.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »
I really really really want to finish my first 9 books. Ideally my first 12-15. It's doable with a decent writing pace, but I don't seem to write at a steady pace. I write nonstop or not at all in spurts.

The 50 words a day has really helped me.  Come visit us on the other thread if you like!  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: Denise, idontknowyet

Alec Hutson

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
Amanda is a legend.

I'd like to finish three books this year, the first being the 150k or so finale to my epic fantasy series. Then two shorter (70-80k), more write-to-market books for the second half of the year.

Alec Hutson

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
I am planning to release 4 novels in 2019. One every three months seems to be a decent schedule, for me.

There's much room for improvement. I currently have 21 newsletter subscribers. I sold 316 ebooks/paperbacks in 2018. Up from 0 across the board in January 2018, but I'll keep chipping away.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
I hope to publish something new (novel, novella, short) at least once a month and I want to get the backlog of finished stories I have lying around out of the door. I have a backlog, because two family health crisises in 2017 and 2018 derailed my publishing schedule.

I also want to finish a novel that I've been working on since 2016 and that has been giving me problems. I want to publish more stories in my established series, launch a new series in a new subgenre which is already partly written (see the publishing backlog above).

I also want to get more of my books into print, preferably before August, when I'm going to WorldCon.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Shoe

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
2018 was a good year and did not involve heroic effort, so I'll continue the pace into 2019 and beyond and hopefully it'll continue to go well. The writing is the main thing, so the idea of making more money isn't a source of inspiration.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
My computer desktop is a graphic of future covers for six novels I want to finish in 2019. I am putting the finishing touches on one and it should out within a week. Four more are in various stages of writing, anywhere from 15K words to 55K words. The last one is the completion of my epic fantasy trilogy which, at the moment, is just a timeline and a few notes. I'm thinking I will get a good start on it during the April Camp NaNoWriMo.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

VanessaC

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »
Great thread, thanks Lorri.

Writing plans just now are to get the fifth and final book in my first series published by the end of this month (I just finished the rough draft today so on to editing for me!). 

After that my main project for the year is a fantasy trilogy - this will also have a prequel short story which will be for my newsletter subscribers.

I've decided that four main books this year is a good thing to aim for as I'm writing around my day job. However, if things go according to plan (spoiler: they never do!) then I should have the trilogy done by the summer so time for a couple more books later in the year.

In between that, I also want to do more / learn more about marketing. Apart from a couple of promos I've not done anything yet - I like to take my time with things.  :icon_mrgreen:

Genre: Fantasy

cecilia_writer

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
Four books a year seems to work for me too. I've already started by working on my historical novel sequel, for which I have 25,000 words left over from last year, and then I plan to write the 18th and 19th (!) in my mystery series in the spring and summer and the 3rd in the historical series in November, if I can get the research for it done in time for NaNoWriMo.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

She-la-te-da

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 12:38:29 AM »
I want to do four novels, the main one being my big SF thing I made such good progress on last year. That one will be split into three books, but I'm only counting it as one since I've got it mostly written. I also want to do one other on that pen name. I want to do two books on the other pen name, the second book in the UF trilogy (and relaunch) and one other.

If I can, I want to do at least one of my doll crafting books, but hopefully two of them. I've got a good bit done on them, just need to make up patterns and get it all set up right. These will be print only, and I'm thinking of doing Ingram Spark so I can have color interior pictures without pricing myself out of the market.

Other than the writing, I need to get up to speed on keeping the website updated, maybe do some small ad stuff as I get some money. I'm not going to be doing social media, I just can't get myself going on that.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

LilyBLily

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 02:06:27 AM »
My big goal is to finish two series, which requires writing another 25k on one novel and completely rewriting another. Sounds easy, but the rewrite is the killer project. In between, finish a novella to offer to newsletter sign-ups. And the rest of the year to be spent on one or possibly two meaty women's fiction novels, totally written to market. This might not seem like lot, but for me it's plenty. I'd really like to be done with the two series by July and be able to spend the rest of the year on brand new stories.     

Denise

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 03:26:14 AM »
Oh, what a lovely thread, and it's awesome to read all your goals.

This year I'm editing a novel that's finished, then I'll write a novella and one more novel.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but I work, I have a son, and for some very stupid reason I can't control my word count. The latest novel came to 116k words. :HB I unfortunately came to the conclusion that I love long novels, like long over 150k words, so it's no wonder that I get over 100k when trying to write a short novel. I know, I know... Either way, if everything goes as planned, I'll have launched 2 novels and one novella this year.

But my biggest goal for this year is to improve my writing. I want to write really engaging and memorable books that readers love. In late 2019 or early 2020 I'm going to start a new series more for market, and my goal is to have the writing nailed by then.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Ghost5, ragdoll

Writer

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 04:59:06 AM »
My goal is to put out at least a book a month and continue making a living. Simple, right? I'd like to finish the year at $100,000, after expenses. Ads cost me a bundle this year and I don't expect that to stop, so I'm looking to more, better, faster releases and a deeper catalog to widen the profit.

I'm hoping to buy a new house this year (with an office!), hence the emphasis on keeping up the steady income. Ideally, I'll enjoy the journey and avoid stressing too much along the way.

Rosie Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
Since the last book of my most successful series was just released on 12/20, I'm hoping to keep my readers invested in the extended universe. I'm already 30K words into the first character origin story and hope it is something that my fans will enjoy and will attract new readers who will eventually pick up the 6-book series. This is the first time I've written something with such lasting and wide-reaching potential, so I'm really excited to build upon it and create new entry points to my work.

I have nothing but a positive outlook for this year. I write really quickly (the fantasy series is about one million words and I completed it in eighteen months), and so I feel like if I can accomplish that, certainly I can write standalones and trilogies and other such works quickly enough to always have something new to focus on. It's also refreshing since the series had a large-scale military/epic focus and the companion novels have other various focuses (sword and sorcery, character studies, origin stories, more narrowly focused adventures, etc.). Additionally, if I ever need a break from fantasy I have about a billion dystopian/sci-fi ideas that wouldn't take long to pop out between my more popular fantasy releases.

One of these days I'll create a pen name to release books in a totally different genre than what I release now (I have about twelve completed novels in this genre sitting on my computer now), but not this year, I don't think. I ponder over everything I'd have to do for a pen name and always end up saying to myself, "How about no?"  :hehe

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

munboy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:50 AM »
My writing output has been lackluster over the 3 years I've been publishing....about 2 a year.

I want to double that in self published books, as well as finish the first book in an epic fantasy I plan on shopping around to traditional publishers. I'm looking at around 475,000 words (2 YA at 89,000, 2 MG at 50,000, and 1 fantasy at 200,000). That's a word increase of about 315% over my usual output. I know I can do it, I just have to buckle down and streamline my life.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, ragdoll

spin52

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
Two more novels (the ninth and tenth) in my Victorian series, and if they do reasonably well, I'll continue it. If not, I'll think about starting something else, probably another historical series. I refuse to set targets or get stressed about the number of words I write or how much money is coming in. As long as I'm enjoying writing, and people are enjoying reading what I write, I'm happy.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, CoraBuhlert

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »
As long as I'm enjoying writing, and people are enjoying reading what I write, I'm happy.

I agree!  :goodpost:

The following users thanked this post: Denise, CoraBuhlert, spin52

Rhett Gervais

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:18 AM »
1. Finish my reader magnet  and publish by the end of Febuary (halfway through 15k of 30k done)

2. Finish book three of current series by mid May. (just started 5k of 100k done) I have a September target for book four as well!

3. Build my Arc team from 50 people to 500 people

4. Build my mailing list to 10k (2k so far)

I do have plans to accomplish these things, I am hopeful. I made $ 953.00 in December, my first month in the game. Income goal for 2019 is 50k

Go big or go home.

Good luck to everyone and have a great 2019!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, A Fading Street, dgcasey

notthatamanda

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
I am in awe of the output some of you are able to accomplish.

I'll keep working on the historical fiction trilogy until it's done.  When that's resting I need to get all my books into print.  Have to redo the two existing trilogies with styles.  900 pages each, so much grunt work.  I want to really give AMS a fair shot and am will be dedicating more of my ad $ to that.  Once the new trilogy is published I can settle into another project.  Haven't decided yet, but I have (too) many to choose from.  I don't have a monetary goal in mind, except more.  More is good.  I should do a website too, but realistically...

lyndabelle

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »
 Get my balance back and do what works for me. Which means, go wide with the rest of my catalog, and focus on self publishing roll outs. I'm trying to get back into the sweet spot of releasing a new erotic short/novella every month. It's hard to do once you're out of the routine. I'd be satisfied with one every two months really. ;-) I've got a lot of projects that got put on the back burner while I wrote two books for other pen names last year. So, I'm going back to Lynda's routine again. Full novels are overrated. I much more prefer the 3 novellas and put together into a omnibus edition. It worked for me. I'd explore so many more types of stories that way, and created a big, back catalog. I've realized the way to succeed as an Indie is to create that catalog and keep going. I've died once. Don't want to miss this second chance. (Not joking about the dying part. Had a heart attack 4 years ago.)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, ragdoll

R.D. Smith

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 11:32:20 PM »
I want to finally finish the second book in my series. I've already stopped doing a lot of things that were getting in the way of my writing my own fiction in the past.

I also want to build out my platform more and do more to interact with my readers. Currently, I don't have a mailing list or anything like that. I have a FB page but I rarely post anything.

I'm focusing heavily on print distribution this year. I've found most of my readers prefer print over ebooks. I started selling paperbacks direct from my website last week and I've been surprised by the results.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
I'm slowly working on the first of three short stories/ novellas in my old fantasy series.  It's a complete mess rewriting this stuff, so that's my goal for the year.  I've also had a couple of romantic comedy/ chick lit ideas, so maybe those will turn into something as well this year.

diisha392

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
In the first half of the year, I want to finish the editing process for my trilogy of romance novellas and then publish them. I also want to finish writing a connected short story to that trilogy. As for the second part of 2019, I am still undecided.

I am looking to start a newsletter this year and to continue learning about marketing.

Vijaya

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks Lorri. I'm playing with a shiny new idea (adult) so I hope that once I plot it out, I'm able to have a first draft before school ends. I'd like to have it ready for publication by the end of the year. But that will depend on how summer goes. I also want to start submitting 2 new picture books. And there is still the collection of shorts that needs to be put together. Oh, and learn to advertise!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

formerly Sapphire

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »
My computer desktop is a graphic of future covers for six novels I want to finish in 2019.
Love this! Great incentive every time you sit in front of your computer.

L_Loryn

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:48 AM »
I wanted to post on this thread earlier, but I had to think on it. Last year I published around six finished works and a few short stories. The novels I published last year are shorter than the one I'm working on now, so I didn't think it was fair to try to publish ten finished novels if my word count jumped from 67k to 100k. So, I tallied up the word count in everything published last year and decided my goal was to surpass last year's total word count.

Last year I wrote: 420,000 words (for publication)

This year I want to write: 500,000+ words (for publication)

I think this is fairly easily attainable because I ate up the back half of my year with one book. I wasn't prepared for writing such an involved story, but I jumped in anyway and ended up writing only barely 2k most days. It was hard, but I got through it. This year I'm trying to be more intentional with writing. E.g. when I'm deep in a novel, treat it like a job (and leave the house every day), tighten up the time it takes me to edit. I tend to drag my feet with edits. Also, I can write something while doing edits. Last year I decided not to on my last work because I hadn't done such involved edits before. This year, I feel capable of writing a separate work while I'm doing edits.

500k+ words should be cake. I'm excited.

As far as money making, I want to do more advertising. I mostly stick with a low-spend AMS ad but I want to play with advertising sites and perhaps up my AMS budget. I've been waiting to have more work out before playing with it much.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, idontknowyet, diisha392

sandree

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
I plan to publish my first novel very soon. I’m working on a web page and setting up a newsletter. Looks like I’m going back into business again. I plan to start the next book in the same universe as the first. I’m not putting a timeline on it but I hope to move through it faster. Also want to experiment with a slightly more organized approach - not an outline but not a complete pantsing situation like the first one.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Denise, diisha392

Hopscotch

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
Hope to finish all the projects I began in 2018 and couldn't wrap up, while cheering the fabulous Amanda:

Write 30 novels and five shorts. Make two million for the year. 

. .

Rick Partlow

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »
I signed a deal with a small startup publisher who focusses on audio deals for a six book series.  Still have to write 4 of them.  Also going to try to write a collaboration with a friend of mine if that works out.

Leo

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »
This year I aim to focus on having a bit of fun with my writing and not put so much pressure on myself to publish publish publish.

Earn $3000 a month, but anything over $2000 will make me happy.
Publish 7 books, but 5 will make put a smile on my face - 2 are already with my editors.
Narrate 4 audiobooks from the 7 listed above.
Take my wife on a decent holiday.
Get more exercise and lose some weight, not that I'm fat but I sit all day and the spare tyre needs replacing.
Get better at cooking my vegan meals.
Never watch the 'Dominion' documentary ever again.
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, sandree

KevinH

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
I'm shooting to publish 6 new books in 2019.  One will be released in about a week, the second [hopefully] next month.  That would be a nice start to the year.

DougM

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »
I'll be pulling back a little. I plan to do about 2.5 novels this year, but I'm only aiming for two. Lots of life keeps happening and I'm not going to beat myself up over it. So that's about 160k-240k, which ought to be easy peasy.

Profitability would be good. I'm a marketing dodo. I always seem to find a new way to burn money.

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
  • Historical Western & 20th Century Romance
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 06:58:13 AM »
I'd like to publish 4 novels this year and increase sales/improve my marketing efforts.
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest | Instagram

EB

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Keeping steady with new releases under my breadwinner pen name is the main gig; seeking an agent for another novel in an unrelated genre under a new pen name is also a priority. I am grateful to be in a position where I don't feel pressured to publish the new pen name work, so it will be interesting to see if I can find a traditional path for this new stuff I'm doing.

Denise

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:24 AM »
You know, I love this thread because it reminds us that success comes in many different sizes.

I changed my mind about my own goals, though. If I write 1k words a day, I could publish 3 long novels in a year (leaving some time to edit).

So my goals for 2019 are:

- Reach 2k words a day consistently.
- Publish one novella, two novels, and stat working on a third novel (I'll keep writing longish novels. As a reader, short novels disappoint me).
- Improve my writing.

All of them are super easy!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Rose Andrews

cecilia_writer

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »
I've already updated my plans slightly to include some sort of foray into audio-books. I've been thinking about this for a while, and when I mentioned it recently to my son he agreed to help. He has a really nice voice (with a Scottish accent, but not a broad one) and has done a lot of pod-casting and film editing. He started by recording one of the short stories that have the same setting as my mystery series, and seems to have also recorded some chapters of the 1st of the novels too. I am planning to put the short story online somewhere for my favourite readers, and see how he gets on with the novel.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Simon Haynes

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »
I stopped writing last December with the idea of picking things up again 1st of Feb. By then, I thought, I'd be settled in my new house. As it turns out the sale process is dragging on and on and on, so I'm spending my days planting veggies, repotting them as they get too big, repotting them again while I wait for a patch of land to plant them in...

And bike riding. I've lost 4 inches off my waist in one month by taking long, flat-out bike rides.

As for the writing goals, maybe I'll start again in March. I still want to write at least 6 novels for the year, although I have 12 projects lined up on my desktop.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Rose Andrews

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
And bike riding. I've lost 4 inches off my waist in one month by taking long, flat-out bike rides.

A notable accomplishment.  Way to go, man.   :cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton

Pandorra

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »
Finish three two embers books, 4 books for my edge series, the third book in the Elera saga and then finish the three off genre books I am working on.. 2 of them non-fic... then see where I am before moving forward again.

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion