Author Topic: A setup false alarm  (Read 1963 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
A setup false alarm
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »
Yesterday I was setting up a new release on KDP. Everything went well until after the final click. I got the usual message about it taking up to seventy-two hours to be available in the Kindle store. However, when I returned to the main bookshelf page, the book was labeled "draft," and the button said "continue setup."  Clicking the button just pushed me back to main bookshelf page again. It looked as if the process jammed, and there was no way to unjam it on my end.

I tried all the usual things: clearing the cache, restarting the browser, trying a different browser, restarting the whole computer. Nothing worked.

I wrote to KDP support right away and explained the problem.

When I got up this morning, the book was live, and the product page was complete--the Look Inside is already up. Either it was only the bookshelf that was out of whack, and the book was actually publishing in the background, or customer service fixed the problem really fast.

Just to be on the safe side, I think it's a good idea to shoot a message to customer service right away. Sometimes that won't produce results, but the rapidity with which the problem was corrected makes me think it did this time. (That's the fastest the Look Inside has been up in a long time, at least for me!)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: A setup false alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:00:58 AM »
I had something similar a couple of books ago.

But the book was up and live inside an hour, so it was just the dashboard end which stuffed up.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:08:13 AM »
I've seen this a few times, but it's always gone through in the end.

Tonyonline

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:58:13 AM »
The only problem I've had with uploading was linking the ebook to the paperback. Should be easy but it wasn't.
After uploading my new book in ebook and paperback there is a little dialog box next to each (some of you may have seen) click on this and link either one to the other, I click on it but it won't work! I end up having to message support about it and was told there is a tech problem, I don't have to do anything else and it will be sorted out very soon.

THREE weeks later and countless clicks on the dialog boxes it still isn't working. I send support a message and remind them about the message they sent me and tech sorting it quickly...and also tell them it still isn't working for me.
I receive a message telling me that they've done it for me and proceed to give me details of, if you can believe it! Instructions on how to click a button and link the books :rant

I politely, after clicking the link in message about how happy or not I was with the service, and sent another message thanking them for doing it for me, ignoring the tech problem and basically making out I'm as dumb as...something that's very dumb  :icon_rolleyes:.

Still, my books are linked now

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
Over on WriterSanctum, Notjohn said:

I just spent two hours working over CS > KDP Print books. The "link" option there is to link the ebook and the paperback on your Bookshelf, not on the Amazon store. And it doesn't always work. One of my books resolutely refuses to show the Kindle edition when I try to link the paperback to it. (That's just 1 out of 18, so probably I shouldn't complain.)

-----------

I've found the "Continue Setup" button confusing when I have finished, it's in review, and the button doesn't work anyway.

-------------

I've got my my new Kindle and Paperback linked on the Amazon site, but the reviews haven't merged. I have an ENT free day scheduled for Oct 27, and I hope they're merged by then, but I'm not going to sweat it if they're not.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter