Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 64509 times)

TWErvin2

• I have my Waders ON
  • Tag Line unlocked
  • Never underestimate a Relic
    • ervin-author.com
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:02 PM »
Just finished Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

RCoots

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 12:08:33 AM »
Just finished the Codex Alera, again. On to some marketing books!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2018, 12:44:18 AM »
Just finished The Lines We Leave Behind by Eliza Graham. Post WWII what happens to a spy who loses her memory of her war experiences.

HSh

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2018, 12:56:23 AM »
I'm listening to Quakeland: On the Road to America's Next Devastating Earthquake, by Kathryn Miles.  A nice cheery, light read for the fall.

https://www.scribd.com/listen/357487355

Casper Valentine

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 02:02:38 AM »
There's so much I would like to read, but between writing SQL code and working on my current book, my eyes start feeling so strained I can barely focus. I wear corrective lenses and maybe it's time to make an eye doc appointment. Does anyone else experience these issues? Has anything helped?

missingalaska

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
Peter Straub's "Ghost Story".  It was on sale.  Don't know how I missed that one over the years...

Michael S. Nuckols

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 02:50:20 AM »
I'm currently reading a bunch of forum posts.

There's so much I would like to read, but between writing SQL code and working on my current book, my eyes start feeling so strained I can barely focus. I wear corrective lenses and maybe it's time to make an eye doc appointment. Does anyone else experience these issues? Has anything helped?

Take more frequent breaks from the screen.  There are also eye drops that may help.  I think my eye doctor either recommended them or gave me a bottle.  Either way, I never used them and if there was a bottle I have no idea where it might be now.  Just be sure to never mix up the bottle of eye drops and the bottle of lens cleaner.

A visit to the eye doctor helped me.  I guess finding out it was just eye strain from staring at a screen all day and that I wasn't going blind was enough of a relief that the eye strain actually improved without the eye drops and without taking breaks as frequently as I probably should.  So stress can definitely be a factor.  So if you're stressing over not being able to focus, that can make you less able to focus, which compounds the matter further.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

The Doctor

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 02:59:55 AM »
I'm reading Book 2 in The Future of London series by Mark Gillespie. Read book 1 a wee while ago so thought I'd get cracking with the second one.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Becca Mills

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2018, 03:06:10 AM »
I just tonight finished reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH to my kids. It was one of my huge childhood favorites. I thought it held up quite well, but I definitely saw different stuff in it as an adult reader than I did 40 years ago -- political allegory! Not heavy-handed, but interesting and well handled. Trying to figure out which great children's classic to tackle next ...

Oooh, thanks! That's going on my list. I do the same thing: read classics to my daughter every night. We did Matilda recently, and several other Roald Dahl books. Soon we'll be starting Charlotte's Web.

As for what I'm reading, I'm kind of going through a reading funk and nothing is hitting the spot. This happens periodically, until I get hooked again.

We did Charlotte's Web recently. SMH. It's always the same with these death-y kids' classics -- I'm weeping at the horrible parts, and the elder widget is looking at me like What the heck is wrong with Mommy? Sure, it's sad, but seriously??  :icon_redface:

Finished Bridge to Terabithia (much weeping, all me). On to The Boggart, by Susan Cooper.

I'm catching up on Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab books at the mo. Read quite a bit of Seanan McGuire before that. And the newish collection of Dresden shorts from Butcher.
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 03:41:13 AM »
I just tonight finished reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH to my kids. It was one of my huge childhood favorites. I thought it held up quite well, but I definitely saw different stuff in it as an adult reader than I did 40 years ago -- political allegory! Not heavy-handed, but interesting and well handled. Trying to figure out which great children's classic to tackle next ...

Oooh, thanks! That's going on my list. I do the same thing: read classics to my daughter every night. We did Matilda recently, and several other Roald Dahl books. Soon we'll be starting Charlotte's Web.

As for what I'm reading, I'm kind of going through a reading funk and nothing is hitting the spot. This happens periodically, until I get hooked again.

We did Charlotte's Web recently. SMH. It's always the same with these death-y kids' classics -- I'm weeping at the horrible parts, and the elder widget is looking at me like What the heck is wrong with Mommy? Sure, it's sad, but seriously??  :icon_redface:

Finished Bridge to Terabithia (much weeping, all me). On to The Boggart, by Susan Cooper.

I'm catching up on Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab books at the mo. Read quite a bit of Seanan McGuire before that. And the newish collection of Dresden shorts from Butcher.

Uh-huh. ET is dying, tears are running down my face, and my eight-year old says, "Mom, it's just a movie." She was totally exasperated with me.

Working my way through the Peter Shandy mysteries.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Oh, I love The Boggart! The bit with the stage lighting is just beautiful.

Becca Mills

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 04:21:54 AM »
Uh-huh. ET is dying, tears are running down my face, and my eight-year old says, "Mom, it's just a movie." She was totally exasperated with me.

Those moments bring home that one is raising an entirely separate and different person from oneself, eh? Weird and wonderful.
Recently Read ...

Casper Valentine

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 05:49:35 AM »
I'm reading Book 2 in The Future of London series by Mark Gillespie. Read book 1 a wee while ago so thought I'd get cracking with the second one.

Thanks! That all makes sense.  I only thought of eye drops as being for dry and irritated eyes. I found some products like below that are for this type of relief. I'll also force myself to take more breaks. I tend to lose track of time and the next thing I know I've been working for 4 or 5 hours. Especially when I'm at work, trying to get my code to actually do what it's supposed to.

https://www.similasanusa.com/computer-eye-relief

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »

My problem is I have one pair of glasses and it really doesn't get it for working on the computer. They are great for everything out past about five feet, but in that one to three foot range they don't work so well. I need to set up an appointment and get a pair of glasses made for sitting at my computer and working.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »

My problem is I have one pair of glasses and it really doesn't get it for working on the computer. They are great for everything out past about five feet, but in that one to three foot range they don't work so well. I need to set up an appointment and get a pair of glasses made for sitting at my computer and working.

Try getting trifocals. Distance/intermediate(computer)/reading. Unlike bifocals, you don't have to get used to them. I had tris for years until I had cataract surgery and now I just need readers from the $ store.

YouMeWe

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »
Inferno, by Dan Brown.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

HSh

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
I'm now reading The Pursuit of Perfect: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life, by Tal Ben-Shahar.  It seems promising.

The earthquake book was good.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 12:07:00 AM »
Cashelmara by my very favorite author, Susan Howatch.

Jo

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »
Daemon by Daniel Suarez (loving this so far!)

Some non-fiction, too:

Murder in the Making by Agatha Christie
Behind the Scenes by Christina Hardyment
Jo

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
"They do it with mirrors" by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple is such a great character.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:29:17 AM by Lysmata Debelius »

The Doctor

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 02:51:26 AM »
I've now finished reading Mark Gillespie's Future of London boxset (British dystopian)

This morning I started reading Karen Maitland's The Plague Charmer. (Dark Historical)

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 02:54:18 AM »
Starting reading The Sandman (Gaiman etc) from the first issue.  I can't remember where I got to last time and it was easier to begin again.

RappaDizzy

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2018, 04:27:29 AM »
Alternating between Belichick and The Gray Man by Mark Greaney - skipped some boring parts in the first but enjoying it & the second is good.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:35 AM »

I like Miss Marple even more than Hercule Poirot.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2018, 05:21:07 AM »

I want to try one of the Poroit books next. Read them so long ago I honestly can't remember anything about them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »

I want to try one of the Poroit books next. Read them so long ago I honestly can't remember anything about them.

At least you won't remember whodunit!

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2018, 05:38:57 AM »

My terrible memory is a blessing when it comes to reading. So many books I can reread again :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »

My terrible memory is a blessing when it comes to reading. So many books I can reread again :)

I'm the opposite. I almost always remember but it doesn't stop me from reading old favorites again and again.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2018, 06:59:15 AM »
I'm currently reading this. It reminds me of the days of reading Colin Fletcher's books.

I think, outside of the writing-centric books I've read, this is the first nonfiction I've read this year.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Becca Mills

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Just caught up on Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab series. Love that author's gift for mixing slapstick in with action and more serious moments.
Recently Read ...

elleoco

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »
Just finished Peril by Post, #8 in Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett historical mystery series. I really like these stories, although they don't have the - intensity? detail? - of my most favorite historical mysteries, which are C. S. Harris's, and they do have a stronger romantic thread. Anyway, the Pickett stories need to be read in order except for the prequel novella, which could be skipped, and if read, IMO would be better after a couple of the full length books as it's not the strongest in the series.

Before that I reread some of the early Elizabeth George Inspector Lynley books, which are IMO far superior to her later books. My book budget is thoroughly blown out of the water, so some rereading has been in order.

WHDean

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Best SF book I ever read.

Just starting Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose

Maggie Ann

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »
Whenever I have nothing to read or can't decide what to read, I fall back on my Nero Wolfe books.

RappaDizzy

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
Just read Grit by Angela Duckworth - nonfiction on how focused persistence is more important than talent for success in any field - I recommend for all authors. Tips on how to develop your grit

HSh

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »

I thought I was quite clever reading an Agatha Christie a few months ago and figuring out "whodunit."  Turns out I'd read it years ago.  Forgot the whole book.  Remembered just enough to think I was smart enough to figure it out.   :HB  Did not feel quite so smart after I realized!

And since I've already forgotten which book that was...I won't be surprised if I do the exact same thing ten years from now.

LilyBLily

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande--nonfiction about old age, nursing homes, dying, and fun stuff like that. Very good.
Worth Dying For by Lee Child--having a lot of trouble getting into it. Just wish he'd kill everyone and move along.
Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham--incredible tosh published in 1931. She had a long, successful career writing mysteries and I sincerely hope they got a lot better than this nonsense. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande--nonfiction about old age, nursing homes, dying, and fun stuff like that. Very good.
Worth Dying For by Lee Child--having a lot of trouble getting into it. Just wish he'd kill everyone and move along.
Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham--incredible tosh published in 1931. She had a long, successful career writing mysteries and I sincerely hope they got a lot better than this nonsense.

My doc recommended the Being Mortal book. Did you read the unabridged version?

HSh

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2018, 02:59:12 AM »
Also reading The New Frugality, by Chris Farrell.  Hoping to get back to fiction soon, but in the meantime I'm learning stuff.  :-)

Tom Wood

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2018, 03:05:26 AM »
I just started Wildcard which is the followup to Marie Lu's Warcross.

Leegreg

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2018, 03:07:13 AM »
Just finishing up Bubba Goes for Broke by David H Hendrickson. I cannot for the life of me recall why I have this book, but it amused me, so I’m happy.

LilyBLily

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »

I'm reading a hardcover from the library. It must be unabridged. The copyright page says two parts were previously published in The New Yorker, in slightly different form.

Vijaya

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2018, 04:24:12 AM »
Love this thread. So many books/writers mentioned here that I love: Atul Gawande, Rats of NIMH, Katherine Patterson.
I have Canticle for Leibowitz but haven't started it yet.
And it's always great discovering new-to-me authors.

Just finished Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by Stacey McNulty, You Bring the Distant Near by Mitali Perkins. Almost done with Praying for Your Special Needs Child by David and Mercedes Rizzo and No Surrender Solder by Christine Kohler. This last is on my kindle and I have dozens and dozens of unread books on it. I love my kindle but definitely have a preference for the printed book. Oh, also beta-read a fantastic ms set in the time of Charlemagne's reign by Gary Ludlam. His first book Aachen is really good too.

Forgot to mention: I do review books on my blog if anybody is curious.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2018, 06:11:21 AM »

I'm reading a hardcover from the library. It must be unabridged. The copyright page says two parts were previously published in The New Yorker, in slightly different form.

I accidentally picked up the abridged ebook. Thanks for the reminder that I want to read the whole thing. I'll check the library first.

Kyra Halland

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Just finished beta reading the last book in a really awesome epic fantasy series, the Rhenwars Saga by M.L. Spencer. It should be out next month, I think?

Now I'm reading Raptor, book 6 in Lindsay Buroker's Dragon Blood series.

Strong women, honorable men, worlds of magic

Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy; Western Fantasy

Mark Gardner

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2018, 11:24:08 PM »
Just finished beta reading the last book in a really awesome epic fantasy series, the Rhenwars Saga by M.L. Spencer. It should be out next month, I think?

Now I'm reading Raptor, book 6 in Lindsay Buroker's Dragon Blood series.
Lindsay's work is excellent. I've read her for years, and love her sci-fi. I haven't talked to her in a while though. Last I heard, she was moving away from our shared town.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2018, 12:43:12 AM »
Wicked for Hire by Lotta Smith

Not my usual kind of read but I'm liking the MC.

RCoots

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:02 AM »
I just finished the Prince's Game series by M. C. A. Hogarth. It's interesting for sure. Probably on to Newsletter Ninja next.

Dormouse

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
I've not read any of her Campion novels. Seen plenty on TV. Pleasant enough but still tosh. Much lower quality than the inimitable Dorothy Sayers.
However, I can recommend her book The Oaken Heart (1941). An autobiographical account of life in her village in the years just before and at the start of the second world war. Half contemporaneous, half from recent memory. A picture of a society now gone at a point in time.
If you like that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:31:50 PM by Dormouse »

Vinjii

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
I'm currently reading Fonda Lee's "Jade City." I seem to be on a fantasy streak.

spin52

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »
Whenever I have nothing to read or can't decide what to read, I fall back on my Nero Wolfe books.

You obviously have excellent taste. I love Rex Stout. Did you know that yesterday was Archie Goodwin's birthday? It was just mentioned in passing in one of the books -- can't remember which one.
I have been reading Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries series, set in turn of the century New York. And I was so intrigued by the blurb on one of our members' books here that I bought it and am about halfway through. Thanks, Al.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: HSh