Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308902 times)

Lorri Moulton

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #2100 on: February 24, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »
Another 1300 words for the short story.  It's almost done...just needs one more edit and maybe a few more details.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2101 on: February 25, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »
Finished and submitted to the anthology!  So nice to get this one done early.  I hate deadlines.  :catrun

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2102 on: February 25, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »
Wrote 1,495 words yesterday.  Had I known I was that close, I could have come up with another five words to finish out the day at 1,500.

For today so far, I am at 1,090.  February's word count has already bested January's.  And still have five days left plus the rest of today.  I am also more than halfway to reaching last year's word count as well.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Juniper B

« Reply #2103 on: February 26, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
412 words today. :)

notthatamanda

« Reply #2104 on: February 27, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »
510 on the short story/reader magnet.

What do you guys do about previews at the end of your reader magnets? Is it okay to put three chapters of a full length book at the end? That will be as much as the short story + or -.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2105 on: February 27, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
600 words today!  Finally starting book 2.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, Wonder

Juniper B

« Reply #2106 on: February 27, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »
376 words today.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Juniper B

« Reply #2107 on: February 28, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
960 words today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2108 on: March 01, 2021, 06:06:24 AM »
375 words so far.  Hope to get more done this afternoon!

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2109 on: March 01, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Another 1500 words.  Not bad for a Sunday!  :dog1:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2110 on: March 02, 2021, 03:14:29 AM »
In January, I managed an average of 822.35 words per day, which gave me 25% of 2020's total word count in just one month.

In February, I tried for at least 1,000 words per day.  Worst day ended up being 1,005 words.  But, I managed an average of 1,226.46 words per day for the month.  So, in the first two months of 2021, I am already at 59% of 2020's total word count.

Will probably slow down this month.  Need to try to finish up a book I had hoped to release next month.  Have a beta reader lined up (I think) so kind of need to finish it so it can be read and then still released in time.  Also, I really, really, really need to figure out how to straighten out this lame space opera.  It's approaching 90k and was only supposed to be 30k.  As for the serious space opera, I don't know.  And then I need to see if I can figure out the plotting and an outline for the prospective romance or rom-com.  Oh, also was supposed to release a newsletter this month.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

notthatamanda

« Reply #2111 on: March 02, 2021, 04:13:14 AM »
133 on the short story/reader magnet. Not much but I finished the light edit on book 2 of the trilogy. Have to update the back matter (add website and mailing list sign up) so I have a certain feeling of accomplishment.

Trying to devote some thinking time to what I will write next.  I had an idea for another psych thriller that I liked. I had been thinking I would continue with book 3 in the story I am writing now, but I'm dubious I will ever sell any of book 2. Now that I've reread the trilogy I've been thinking I should maybe continue with those characters.

Juniper B

« Reply #2112 on: March 05, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
693 words today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2113 on: March 07, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »
612 words today!

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Juniper B

« Reply #2114 on: March 14, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »
723 words today.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2115 on: March 23, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »
622 I took a couple of minutes and outlined the short story I'm working on for a reader magnet. Now I know what I'm doing. Hopefully better word counts coming but today I simply had to devote some time to unclogging the washing machine filter. Laundry is not a hobby.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2116 on: March 24, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
1066. Doing the outline really helped. I may write some more this afternoon, outside on the deck  :banana:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2117 on: March 24, 2021, 02:39:42 AM »
1066. Doing the outline really helped. I may write some more this afternoon, outside on the deck  :banana:

:goodpost:

notthatamanda

« Reply #2118 on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:12 AM »

:goodpost:
Thanks. I just realized I have a major timeline problem. Got to sleep on it.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2119 on: March 28, 2021, 04:26:47 AM »
944 words last night!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2120 on: April 02, 2021, 05:21:12 AM »
For March, my target was 1,000 words per day.  Worst day was 1,015 and best was 2,495.  Was disappointed on that last one.  Had I known I was so close, I could have written at least another five words.

Words were spread among multiple projects.

One was the lame space opera.  On that, I tried for at least 500 words per day.  Worst day was 525 and best was 1,310.  I keep saying this, but I really need to stop writing it and straighten it out.  The more I write, the more it goes off the rails and not in a good way.  It's a mess.  It was supposed to be 30k and done and it's up to almost 115k now.

I also worked on my book of poetry.  Goal was an April release.  Reasonably sure it's not going to make it.  Need to add humor to it and I'm just not having much luck in that regard.

I also wrote two short stories.  Together, the two totaled 500 words.  I also finished a short story I started in February.  That one clocked in at 7,625 words.  For the year so far, I've written 31 stories for my newsletter.  I need to work on assembling one to see how many stories I need to fill an issue.

I did eek out a small improvement in daily word count.  Went from a daily average in December of 197 to 822 in January, 1226 in February and 1231 in March.

And, because 156 WIPs simply aren't enough, I also added a superhero tale to the mix.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2121 on: April 02, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Dan, you didn't ask for advice, so ignore if you want. When I'm struggling with the story I make myself take 15 minutes and write an outline. It isn't much, a sentence or two for what each chapter is about. Thinking about the story that way helps me see what I need to do.
Hope that helps, sorry if it doesn't.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2122 on: April 03, 2021, 02:19:45 AM »
Dan, you didn't ask for advice, so ignore if you want. When I'm struggling with the story I make myself take 15 minutes and write an outline. It isn't much, a sentence or two for what each chapter is about. Thinking about the story that way helps me see what I need to do.

Tried that back in January.  Put together a list of just the chapter titles to summarize each and try to organize it.  And, ugh, it was such a mess.  And, now, I don't even know how many actual chapters I have because I've been slipping in chapters and, instead of renumbering the chapters, which would require renumbering all the chapters, I opted to renumber later and so the insertions are stuff like chapter whatever point five.  Then, in some parts, I stuffed more in, so I might have chapter point two five.  And sometimes I slipped in a chapter between existing insertions, so I have some chapters number whatever point eight seven five.

The lame space opera was supposed to be a quick book.  I had a handful of different shorts.  All I had to do was tie them together, merge characters, stuff like that.  And since three of the stories already used the same characters, shouldn't have been too hard.  The existing material put me at 24k so a target of 30k to tie it all together seemed reasonable.  Now it may be a hopeless mess.  And my apparent inability to do humor anymore doesn't help.

Also, I still have the romance story I want to write but I can't figure out the outline for that one.

And, because 156 WIPs simply aren't enough, I also added a superhero tale to the mix.

I've decided to serialize the superhero tale in my newsletter rather than do it as a novel.  Still makes it a WIP, but won't have to worry about covers or blurbs or whether anyone will buy it.  So, yay.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2123 on: April 28, 2021, 01:27:52 AM »
Started my screenplay adaptation of my first novel. 1190 words yesterday, 721 today. After lunch I'll take a stab at a montage.

Side note - screenplay formatting really wants me want to write soliloquys for my characters that go on for a page and a half. Freaking tedious.

Another 692 and I got to write them sitting out on the deck.  :banana: But...I think I really need to scrap the gentler ending I came up with for the original brutal one.  :icon_eek:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:32:10 AM by notthatamanda »

notthatamanda

« Reply #2124 on: April 29, 2021, 03:41:19 AM »
Deleted a scene, rewrote it and wrote one more. Net 692 same as yesterday. WEIRD!

20+ pages in on a target of 125 pages. Definitely goes faster than a novel even with the  :HB formatting.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2125 on: May 01, 2021, 03:36:57 AM »
1568 today. 31 pages out of about 125 +/-.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2126 on: May 04, 2021, 03:17:22 AM »
528 on the screenplay adaptation.
Speaking of seeing your stories on a screen.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2127 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:29 AM »
889 and I got the page numbering right. Thanks Lynn!

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Lorri Moulton

notthatamanda

« Reply #2128 on: May 07, 2021, 01:47:22 AM »
1050. More than a third done on page count.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2129 on: May 08, 2021, 01:25:31 AM »
627 words. 47 pages out of 125 ish.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2130 on: May 16, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
2k words today!  Woke up with an idea for a short story, wrote it and published it!  Even made a trailer.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2131 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
3700 words today.  I wrote a sequel to my short story!

notthatamanda

« Reply #2132 on: May 18, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »
Back on the screenplay - 385 today. I'm trying to take it easy because I had the second Pfizer shot yesterday so I may do another writing session later. It's nice and I want to go for a walk though.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2133 on: May 20, 2021, 02:08:59 AM »
609 words.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2134 on: May 21, 2021, 03:31:18 AM »
555. I'm not sure I like what I wrote. Needs a lot of tweaking.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2135 on: May 25, 2021, 03:19:59 AM »
Skipped to the ending. 2110 words. Very satisfied.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2136 on: May 26, 2021, 01:40:09 AM »
1133. Finished the ending. Added the beginning and a scene I forgot in Part 1. 75 our of 125ish pages done.  :banana:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2137 on: May 26, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »
1133. Finished the ending. Added the beginning and a scene I forgot in Part 1. 75 our of 125ish pages done.  :banana:

Congratulations!!!  :pdt

notthatamanda

« Reply #2138 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »
Thanks!

notthatamanda

« Reply #2139 on: May 27, 2021, 01:37:10 AM »
553. Very productive yesterday. Today less so. Not happy with the scene so I'm going to go for a walk and think about it some more.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2140 on: June 02, 2021, 03:37:05 AM »
646. Getting closer to the finish line. Rough goal of being done by the 16th. Could make it.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2141 on: June 03, 2021, 01:15:26 AM »
748. I feel like I am keeping a thread alive for no reason though. I can stop, someone just tell me to.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2142 on: June 03, 2021, 04:43:34 AM »
748. I feel like I am keeping a thread alive for no reason though. I can stop, someone just tell me to.

Then I guess I'll post something so you won't feel lonely . . .

In March, I averaged 1,231.35 words per day which marked a continuous month-to-month improvement for the year.  That changed with April where I dropped to an average of 216.90 words per day.  I improved in May with 352.10 words per day.  Though, for yesterday, June has dropped to 270 words per day.

I wrote one standalone short story (150 words) in May.  Otherwise, I have been working on the lame space opera and a superhero tale.  Not sure how to fix the lame space opera so I keep making things worse by adding to it.  All of May and most of April was spent working on one chapter (12k) which, until Monday, had no characters from any other part of the book.  Really, really need to straighten it out but when I start to try to outline it or in any way order it, it's like, ugh, this may be a lost cause.  On the other hand, I know it's doable but on the other other hand, ugh.

As for the superhero tale, well, this is technically the second.  The first is done and this was entirely separate but, early on, I figured out how to tie the two together in a (hopefully) unexpected way.  Though, it's also open in that maybe they do tie together and maybe they don't; the reader can choose their own head canon.

In any case, I sometimes feel as though I am putting words on the (virtual) page but not really writing.

Meanwhile, I've also been working on the cover art for the serious space opera, as well as trying to finish the intro and about the author section I have been neglecting for a while.  Of course, not having the lame space opera anywhere near completion throws a wrench in my plan of releasing the two within thirty days of each other.

Then again, I've been thinking of not putting the serious space opera on Amazon at all and doing something different instead.  On the other hand, it's a semi-semi-sequel to my other books, so seems like I should have it there.  Or put it up for 90 days in KDP Select then yank it out completely?  Dunno.  Still have time to decide though.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2143 on: June 03, 2021, 05:12:15 AM »
Vella or Radish could be an option. Not advocating either or both, just saying.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2144 on: June 03, 2021, 05:20:44 AM »
Vella or Radish could be an option. Not advocating either or both, just saying.

Something like that but neither one of those . . .

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2145 on: June 05, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »
Wrote about 1700 words Thursday night.  I'm not anywhere near where I should be as far as being back in the habit of writing daily is concerned.  But I cranked out a few words.

I injured a finger this week--burst blood vessel--and I also strained my thumb a little, so I'm trying to baby that whole hand as much as is practical.  The good news is that it's my left hand, and I'm right-handed.

Also, I hate coming up with character names.  Just wanted to say that.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #2146 on: June 05, 2021, 10:26:41 PM »
Yep character names are terrible. I look at the list for the years my characters were born for first names. Last names are an absolute pain.

Lynn

« Reply #2147 on: June 06, 2021, 12:35:28 AM »
I'm trying to restart a daily writing routine. I'll post word counts for some accountability. It's likely to be embarrassing for a while though. :)

36 words yesterday. I went through my last complete scene and felt like I deleted more than I wrote, but ending with 36 words more than I started with disproved that feeling. :D

Today is the last day of the week to finish the two episodes I wanted to write for my Vella project. We'll see if I pull it off. 36 words sure won't cut it. :o
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2148 on: June 09, 2021, 12:43:29 AM »
No words toay, but I spent some time reordering the whole thing and have two new scenes to write. Progress.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2149 on: June 09, 2021, 05:49:43 AM »
I'm averaging 470 words per day for the month so far, which is an improvement over May.

Feels like cheating a bit because a good chunk is coming from dialogue where two characters are engaging in a philosophical debate of sorts, so not hard to get the word counts up when it's all stuff characters are sputtering out.  And this is for the lame space opera which is almost hopelessly messed up and I keep piling on and making it worse.  Not worse for the characters in that I put them in increasingly difficult situations.  No, worse for me in that nothing is going anywhere, which wouldn't be so bad if it were humorous, but it's not.  I mean, it's supposed to be, but it's not getting there.

The other is a short story which is doing better but making sure to pound out words daily isn't always as productive as it is made out to be.  Almost duplicated a scene or dialogue because I had forgotten I had already done it a couple days earlier which seems like it should make me concerned about my memory but considering the number of things I think I have written only to discover that, no, it was all in my head and I never wrote it down, I should probably give myself some leeway for having forgotten things I have written and nearly writing them again.

Also, the model for my serious space opera cover has been occupying more time than it should have.  The textures are not at all lining up like they should and I've been endeavoring to try to figure out whether it is because I am doing something very, very wrong or if the software is not compatible with the operating system and that that is causing problems.  I am reminded of The Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon observes that all of Penny's problems could be solved by the application of more money.  How true.