Author Topic: It is time to up my game.  (Read 1378 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
It is time to up my game.
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »
I am closing in on the completion of the seventh book in a series.  It is time (okay, past time) to up my game. 

I am looking to hire a copy editor. 

The manuscript will be ready in late March or Early or early April.  Here is a list of the criteria I am considering in choosing a copy editor:
  • Professional (paid for) experience as copy editor.
  • Experience with the Space Opera genre.
  • Uses MS Word docx format.
  • Superb English language skills: Willing to correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
  • Ensures consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, and capitalization.
  • Flags ambiguous or factually incorrect or out of sequence statements (internal consistency).
  • Minor rewrites are permitted - assuming the tone and tenor of the style is not lost.
  • Timing: Late March or very Early April.  Expected turn-around: Two weeks.

I suffer from a terminal case of Typo Blindness.   Therefore, I am looking for someone to perform broad-spectrum copy editing.  When the edits are complete, I will submit the story to my proof reader.

I assume all writers have this concern: The style and tenor of my writing is important to me.  More so, for my stories.  I insert a significant amount of regional dialog, colloquialisms, and a fair amount of less than grammatically precise spoken word.  Numerous passages will require a context aware approach to the editing.

The book will be the longest in the series, est 82k words, and IMHO, the best of the series in regard to depth of characters and intrinsic tension.

Here are a couple of informative links that I found to help me chose a copy editor:  ExpressWriters and ReWord

If you are interested, and the timing works, please send me a note with your availability and fee schedule.

Cheers,
Ruairí
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:07:51 AM by Ruairi »

LilyBLily

Re: It is time to up my game.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:14:25 PM »
 I think you should google and also contact the Editorial Freelancers Association (I think that’s the name) and check on rates and turnaround times. The good editors seldom have an immediate time slot available, and the kind of edit you want should take more time than you are planning for. Not because it can’t be done fast, but because editors can do a better job if they do it slowly and carefully. Provide a rudimentary style sheet so the editor doesn’t have to look up special or unusual terms that you know are correct, or you can annotate them in the text. Get samples. There are editors people swear by I myself would not touch.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Re: It is time to up my game.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:25 AM »
I think you should google and also contact the Editorial Freelancers Association (I think that’s the name) and check on rates and turnaround times....

Here is the link to EFA Home - EFA Rates

Cheers,
Ruairí
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:14:03 AM by Ruairi »