Author Topic: Membergroups - Fig Leaf, Asteroid Belt, Black Lagoon, Zombies  (Read 7400 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Membergroups - Fig Leaf, Asteroid Belt, Black Lagoon, Zombies
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
The Special Access Membergroup Areas are:

Fig Leaf Required - This is the Erotica Discussion area. Also the steamy spicy end of Romance.

Here Be Zombies - This is where split off fragments of threads end up.

Asteroid Belt - This is the argument zone, and you need to have your space suit on to view and participate in any thread in this area.

Black Lagoon - Discussion about scammers, black hatters and authors behaving badly. To access you need to have your waders on.

To access these areas:

Go to the memberships area of your Forum Profile.
Under Membergroups, you will see those available to you listed.
Click on Join.
Re-display afterwards, and change the primary group to normal members. Failure to do this last part seems to lose half of the profile options.
Then save your profile setting.

These areas have been set up this way so people who are not interested in what is in them, wont see the posts at all.

To have an area set up this way, please contact me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:07:24 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

KSenniaV

Re: Special Access Areas
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:56:31 AM »
  If you're actually looking to bring erotica writers in, shunting them off to an invisible area where you also stick the naughty children who are being punished is really not a great way to make them feel welcome or respected. Just a thought.  :smilie_zauber:

They're also not that easy to find. I searched through everything then had to come back here and re-read the instructions. :D

But I do like that we can have erotic books in our signature. That's cool.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:10:08 AM by KSenniaV »

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
The main reason to keep these areas private, specially the erotic one, it's not out of shame, but to avoid complains from the people who feel offended by certain topics, and mainly, to protect authors. Yes, there are details we might want to keep to ourselves, particularly, where there is a crisis of some sort.

My never humble two cents.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
In theory, not tested yet, having the areas as opt-in, keeps all their posts off the 'unread posts since last visit' list, ensuring people who dont want to see erotic posts, or arguments, don't actually see them.

Erotic is in a separate area from Off-topic. Its just there are no others with it yet. Working on it.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

KSenniaV

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »
 As long as everyone else is happy. No worries.  :grouphug:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
I've changed these to not require authorization. Access should now be immediate.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
For those that need extra help finding it:

1) Writer Sanctum » Profile of [Your Name] » Account Settings

2) Modify Profile > Group Membership
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, AtoZ, natasha

Pandorra

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »
I've found them, but I'm honestly in the dark about what they are with the exception of the erotica section.

What do the other forum sections mean? I don't know if I want to see any of them yet. Kinda like that dark room in my basement. I like to know what's there but I ain't going in until the light comes on.  :D
:icon_mrgreen:

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
I've found them, but I'm honestly in the dark about what they are with the exception of the erotica section.

What do the other forum sections mean? I don't know if I want to see any of them yet. Kinda like that dark room in my basement. I like to know what's there but I ain't going in until the light comes on.  :D

Fig Leaf is for Erotica access.

Darkling Prison Guard is access to the place where all argumentative threads we dont want in public will go. Only get this access if you really want to see the dark side of postings.

The following users thanked this post: B

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Darkling Prison Guard is access to the place where all argumentative threads we dont want in public will go. Only get this access if you really want to see the dark side of postings.

When you sell it like that, now how can we refuse?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, AtoZ, littleauthor

Vijaya

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out which areas are public and which are for registered members only, without logging on and off.
Is it possible to put the public areas in one box and the members only in a different box?

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 01:30:38 AM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out which areas are public and which are for registered members only, without logging on and off.

Each area is labeled with Public or Members Only.

But I'm wondering if some people are getting an old cached version.

Try hitting Refresh or Reload current page on your browser, and see what happens.

Jill Nojack

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »

The Prison Guard area is a great idea. It avoids all the arguments about people being modded and gives them a place just to say what they want. I've seen this work really well in other forums (musician forums, where the same kinds of arguments flare up over and over).

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Ghost5

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:29:24 AM »

Oh, I REALLY appreciate this (a special place for the dark side of postings). Sometimes, when things get argumentative and I inadvertently read the posts, it shuts me down creatively. Thank you, again, for all your work on this forum.
K

Thaiphoon

Re: Membergroups - Fig Leaf, Asteroid Belt, Black Lagoon, Zombies
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »
Thanks! I missed this earlier. Ignore my IM. Sorry :(

Enslaved

• Blurb unlocked
BUG REPORT: Erotic writers can't access most profile functions
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
@TimothyEllis:

There appears to be a bug I wanted to call to your attention. To reproduce:

1) Start with a non-figleaf profile. Click on Profile, and there is a full menu of functions, including the Forum Profile dialog needed to upload an avatar.
2) Join the Fig Leaf group per the instructions in this thread
3) Now try to upload an avatar. You will find that the needed Profile menu functions are no longer available, and it's impossible to upload an Avatar and/or access most other Profile menu functions!

The workaround is to leave the Fig Leaf group for long enough to upload your avatar, then re-join. But this is sure to confuse people at some point.

Just wanted you to know - thanks for the great forum!!!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: BUG REPORT: Erotic writers can't access most profile functions
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
There appears to be a bug I wanted to call to your attention. To reproduce:

1) Start with a non-figleaf profile. Click on Profile, and there is a full menu of functions, including the Forum Profile dialog needed to upload an avatar.
2) Join the Fig Leaf group per the instructions in this thread
3) Now try to upload an avatar. You will find that the needed Profile menu functions are no longer available, and it's impossible to upload an Avatar and/or access most other Profile menu functions!

The workaround is to leave the Fig Leaf group for long enough to upload your avatar, then re-join. But this is sure to confuse people at some point.

Just wanted you to know - thanks for the great forum!!!

There is definitely a bug there. But it's a problem only because no-one does the last instruction, which is to make normal member the primary group after you joined the ones you wanted.

I've been fixing them as I find them.

For now, without anyone capable and willing to find the bug and fix it, there is nothing we can do except the extra step of resetting the primary.

The following users thanked this post: Enslaved

Enslaved

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
Ahh, so I was supposed to follow ALL of the instructions... ;)

Thanks!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 11:00:01 PM »
Ahh, so I was supposed to follow ALL of the instructions... ;)

:doh: :dizzy :shrug