Author Topic: The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids  (Read 2013 times)

Gaylord Fancypants

The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:15:47 AM »
Anyone read this book? It's by Stanley Kiesel, and it's amazing. Imagine "Phantom Tollbooth" meets "Wayside Stories" with a dash of "Brave New World" (not the sex stuff). There's a girl who eats her teacher, shark-infested rice pudding, a jousting tournament, sewer-dwelling bookworms, a talking ant and a machine that turns Kids into Young People.

I have no particular point to raise bringing this up, I just saw there was no post yet in this forum, so here it goes -- this is one of the few really classic, awesome young people's fiction that hasn't been made into a movie or TV show, even though it would be a great one. If I had the chance to adapt any story into a screenplay, it'd be this one.

Ignore the book's utterly sh*tty cover and blurb -- it was the 80s, so everything sucked -- which are misleading. it's not even available as an ebook.

The Doctor

Re: The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:22 AM »
It sounds bonkers.

I like bonkers.  :banana:

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »
Why did the song "White Rabbit" start playing in my mental jukebox when I read that?
 :cheers

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:34 AM »
. . . shark-infested rice pudding . . .

That's the kind of thing I wish I had thought of.  Instead, I come up with talking fish and dancing gnomes, neither of which are particularly original ideas, even though I thought them up independently.  Sigh.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"