Author Topic: Ernest Cline talks about the book to movie adaptation of Ready Player One  (Read 1509 times)

Tom Wood

Some of the fans of the book don't like the changes that were made in the movie. They don't seem to realize that Cline co-wrote the screenplay and was involved in making those changes. He talks about the process here:

I particularly like the part at the end where he explains how it is not necessary to understand all the pop-culture references in order to follow the story.

Edward M. Grant

Re: Ernest Cline talks about the book to movie adaptation of Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
That's interesting, because I just read the book, and I preferred the movie. I didn't realize he was closely involved in the adaption, but I thought the writers did a good job of removing the boring parts, and making the interesting parts more interesting.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Ernest Cline talks about the book to movie adaptation of Ready Player One
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
Some book-to-movie adaptations really don't do justice to the book, but I thought Ready Player One did, despite all the changes.

Two factors may account for this result. First, Cline understands that what works on the printed page may not work as well on the screen. (Some of the tests on the way to the victory work when you're reading about them but wouldn't adapt well to the screen. Playing a video game against a lich wouldn't be that exciting--but a race around obstacles like Godzilla and King Kong? Much better!)

Second, Spielberg was smart enough to involve Cline in the screenplay. (I had forgotten this, but Spielberg did the same thing with Michael Crichton on the first Jurassic Park movie.

These two factors together account for a movie which differs wildly in detail from the book but retains its spirit.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter