Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85586 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »
Going through Season 7 of Castle. I'm just going to skip Season 8 and go on to Inspector George Gently.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2018, 01:36:07 AM »
I'm slogging through season 8 of The Walking Dead.

Spoiler: ShowHide
How come it took Carl two whole episodes to die!? Do we really need fifteen minutes of facial close-up reaction shots? Carl is TWD's Wesley Crusher!

The Doctor

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2018, 02:40:43 AM »
Watched 1 and a, bit episodes of Rillington Place, on Netflix, starring Tim Roth and Samantha Morton.

Watched the first episode, realised it was almost time for bed, so wheeked to the final scenes of the last episode (it's based on a true story so I kind of knew how it ended anyway).

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Anarchist

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2018, 05:12:10 AM »
I'm slogging through season 8 of The Walking Dead.

How come it took Carl two whole episodes to die!? Do we really need fifteen minutes of facial close-up reaction shots? Carl is TWD's Wesley Crusher!

Seriously. And...

You'd think after a career in law enforcement and eight years of the zombie apocalypse, Rick Grimes would learn how to fight. Without a firearm or machete, that dude gets his ass kicked every single time.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

guest120

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Seriously. And...

You'd think after a career in law enforcement and eight years of the zombie apocalypse, Rick Grimes would learn how to fight. Without a firearm or machete, that dude gets his ass kicked every single time.

I blame scurvy.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2018, 02:32:55 AM »
I finished season 5 of Homeland last night.

Very good season. A little uneven in the front half. But they poured in the octane in the back half and ended with a great finale.

Can't wait to watch season 6.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

The Doctor

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »
I've been watching the newest series of The Man in the High Castle, not realising until late last night that Series 3 was released on Amazon on Friday.

Now, I'm nervously awaiting the first episode of the new series of, well, me!  :cool:

Gayle Ramage Website

J R Fletcher

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2018, 05:09:41 AM »
Just binged Black Sails, final season.  Interesting series.  Savage and brutal at times, but - oh my - some of the dialogue is just outstanding.  Courtesy of Captain Flint:

"All this will be for nothing. We will have been for nothing. Defined by their histories, distorted to fit into their narrative, until all that is left of us are the monsters in the stories they tell their children."

This one is my favourite:

"This is how they survive. You must know this. You're too smart not to know this. They paint the world full of shadows... and then tell their children to stay close to the light. Their light. Their reasons, their judgments. Because in the darkness, there be dragons. But it isn't true. We can prove that it isn't true. In the dark, there is discovery, there is possibility, there is freedom in the dark once someone has illuminated it. And who has been so close to doing it as we are right now?"

cecilia_writer

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »
We've just had the first of the new Doctor Who series here and I thought it was excellent. It reminded me a little (because I'm ancient) of the very first one ever - similar sense of surprise.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Anarchist

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
Just binged Black Sails, final season.  Interesting series.  Savage and brutal at times, but - oh my - some of the dialogue is just outstanding.

Black Sails is on my "watch soon" list! I've heard it's binge-worthy.

But tonight, I start...

Mark Gardner

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2018, 12:21:06 AM »
I should wrap up seasons four and five of The 100 this weekend. I'm kinda pissed at the storytelling of season five. I think a great opportunity was missed by skipping ahead six years.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2018, 02:29:06 AM »
Inspector George Gently on Acorn TV

Excellent British crime drama based on the books of Alan Hunter. There are 45 of them if I remember correctly and I think I've read them all.

The series is set in the 1960's. Grittier than Midsomer Murders and not much home life to soften the hard life of a copper.

The following users thanked this post: Jo

The Doctor

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2018, 02:46:37 AM »
Hmm, not watching anything right this second but I will be watching the first in the new series of Would I Lie To You, a brilliant UK comedy panel show. I think tonight's episode features the magnificent Bob Mortimer.

Gayle Ramage Website

Jo

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2018, 03:26:00 AM »
There are few current series I follow, though I used to watch Sherlock and Downton Abbey. These are the recentmost series for me, nothing much else interested me the past years.

Instead I love watching older series like Magnum PI, Stingray, Voyager and Enterprise. I even own the full DVD set of Streets of San Francisco!
Jo

Jo

« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2018, 03:27:59 AM »

I discovered all of "The Professionals" on Youtube, binge-watching it.
Jo

Maggie Ann

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2018, 03:33:51 AM »

I love that I can get youtube right on my TV.

Brownskins

• Tag Line unlocked
  • Short train rides make for good reading time!
    • Simply CT
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
Harrow

Maggie Ann

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
The pilot episode of The Rookie with Nathan Fillion. It's Adam 12 all grown up.

I think it's going to be a good series.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »
Season 11 of Doctor Who
Season 14 of Supernatural (that's tonight!)
Season 5 of The Last Ship

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I'm currently watching the new Twin Peaks, can't seem to tear myself away from that one.

I watched a bunch of episodes of Heathers. It should have been great, the promos looked good and the movie is an old favourite but I kept falling asleep. The two main characters are pretty unlikeable imo.

I wish people would stop trying to reboot all my favourite 80's movies. They're ruining any nostalgia I have for my childhood.  :icon_sad:
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
Just finished The Haunting of Hill House last night.
Not as scary as people make it out to be, I can't remember ever encountering such great storytelling in horror!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Robin

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
I watch way too much Netflix  :hehe

I'm currently watching the Hannibal series for the third time, it's so amazingly brilliant. After that I'm going to watch The Haunting of Hill House. The third season of The Man in the High Castle is out on Prime, but I'm going to wait a while before I immerse myself in that.

Anarchist

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:24 PM »
I'm currently watching the Hannibal series for the third time, it's so amazingly brilliant.

Hannibal is one of the best shows that no one has watched (no one I know at least).

Robin

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2018, 11:38:30 PM »
I'm currently watching the Hannibal series for the third time, it's so amazingly brilliant.

Hannibal is one of the best shows that no one has watched (no one I know at least).

I'm a little obsessed with it  :icon_eek: There have been suggestions a series 4 will be made...

Anarchist

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:01 PM »

I'm a little obsessed with it  :icon_eek: There have been suggestions a series 4 will be made...

I hope there won't be a fourth series. I have such a fondness for the show as it stands that I don't want anyone to mess with it. haha

Robin

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2018, 01:04:45 AM »

I hope there won't be a fourth series. I have such a fondness for the show as it stands that I don't want anyone to mess with it. haha

You have more self control than me. Three series just aren't enough, need more! Would love to see Hannibal meet Clarice Starling  :nerd:

But yes, as long as they don't mess it up which is always a risk.

PJ Post

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2018, 01:16:47 AM »
I can't remember ever encountering such great storytelling in horror!

This.

Haunting Hill is a masterclass is non-linear narrative, a very This is Us Gothic ghost story, complete with fantastic performances; suspenseful, deep, emotional, tragic, creepy and more than a little skeery.
:tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Vinjii

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
I've just watched "Killing Eve," which was a phenomenal BBC America show with Sandra Oh. And I've also finished Mad Men for the third time, because that show is simply the best.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »
Pride and Prejudice 1995. I watch that in the evening. If I have time during the day to sit for a bit, I'll watch Inspector George Gently.

Anarchist

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2018, 11:15:38 PM »
And I've also finished Mad Men for the third time, because that show is simply the best.

I loved Mad Men. Great characters. And I liked that the episodes weren't sensational. They didn't rely on plot twists to grab attention. Just good storytelling that focused on Draper and the people around him.

Pride and Prejudice 1995. I watch that in the evening.

I saw that years ago, and really liked it. I was just telling my wife this weekend (after watching the film Pride and Prejudice - also excellent) that we need to go through the series again.

Vinjii

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »

I loved Mad Men. Great characters. And I liked that the episodes weren't sensational. They didn't rely on plot twists to grab attention. Just good storytelling that focused on Draper and the people around him.

Agreed. I find it a strangely calming and immersive show. Great character development, great storytelling and basically a glimpse into the 60s.

Pride and Prejudice 1995. I watch that in the evening.

One of my favourite mini-series. I watch that whenever I need a pick me up.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »
Busy watching The Night Manager

So far, enjoying it. I find the characters compelling.

I also enjoyed Broadchurch, all three seasons. Season 3 was possibly a little less successful, there were a couple of plot threads that you went, afterwards - "what happened with that guy?" but overall excellent.  I loved the interactions by the two main characters,  the low-key, dry, self-deprecating humour.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:46 AM »
Watched all of the final season of Daredevil this weekend.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2018, 02:57:30 AM »
The Musketeers - the 2014 BBC version. The King (Louis) has such a sweet smile. I struggled with the Alexandre Dumas book, but The Three Musketeers always translates well to film or TV series. The Czech countryside (where it was filmed) is so pretty too.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

EB

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 03:03:33 AM »
Trying to catch up on Peaky Blinders, been behind due to writing schedule. Huge fan of the series. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »
Finished watching Castle and then Bones started playing. So, Bones it is.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
Just finished The Night Manager. Anyone else here watch it? I have a question about an apparent plot hole that I don't see anyone mentioning online.
At the end of the last episode,
why don't the Egyptian gangsters go for Jonathan Pine (the night manager) as well as for Roper? From their point of view, he's part of Roper's group and owes them money, or set them up/ betrayed them, right? Pine wasn't outside the hotel when Roper was snatched, but later he's walking around outside, not attempting to stay out of view, and looking completely unworried that he might be a target?

prolificwriter

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »
Just finished The Haunting of Hill House.

Liked it well enough until that horrific (as in awful, not scary) ending.

Read a story about how the director/showrunner had a different plan for the ending but changed his mind. He should have stuck to the original ending. It would have had a lot more impact.

Vinjii

« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
I just watched "Bodyguard" with Richard Madden (Robb Stark, Game of Thrones). It's on Netflix. In the UK it's on the BBC iPlayer. It's 6 episodes and quite a good mystery/thriller/political suspense show. Some people weren't happy with how it ended. Other people disliked how many tropes were used... I had fun!  :icon_mrgreen:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2018, 01:32:11 AM »
Watched the second episode of The Rookie. So far, so good.

Now I'm waiting for the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (December 5). Finally!!!

Vinjii

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2018, 01:49:58 AM »

Now I'm waiting for the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (December 5). Finally!!!

I've only heard of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel yesterday. I think I need to give it a try!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2018, 01:58:13 AM »

I've only heard of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel yesterday. I think I need to give it a try!

One of the reasons I loved it was the setting in 1958. And, of course, Tony Shaloub. They're all wonderful, really.

The following users thanked this post: Vinjii

PJ Post

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2018, 03:31:21 AM »
Binged...

Nothing like the original show. Sabrina is an unexpectedly dark supernatural adventure that embraces the satanic elements of witchcraft. It's pretty good, but the tone is somewhat uneven, like it can't decide what it wants to be. It's from the same people that did The CW's Riverdale (same world even, Riverdale gets a few mentions in the show), which, unsurprisingly, suffered from the same problem. It veers wildly between a Disney channel show and True Blood.  As a side note, the lead (Kiernan Shipka) looks way too much like Hermione, (I mean Emma Watson) - both of them the greatest witches of their generation, by the way. The whole show is like this, it's either incredibly derivative or constantly winking at us. My other 'complaint' is that the show doesn't always let the drama breathe, wrapping up scenes so quickly that they end up leaving plenty of suspense on the cutting room floor.

Nevertheless, a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2018, 04:04:40 AM »
Finished all 7 seasons of the West Wing, bailed on Designated Survivor and the current season of Call Me Saul after about 3 eps each.

Now watching a UK police show where - for the millionth overused time - a trusted career police officer is blamed for the death of his wife because he showed up at the wrong time and picked up the weapon/got her blood on him when he cried over her body/etc.

Cue several eps of everyone who's ever known him immediately assuming he's guilty, with no regard for forensics, the guy's spotless record, or anything else a sane viewer would query in the first 30 seconds. Cop goes on the run, because why not, and everyone he's ever known turns out to be an evil turncoat working for Mr Big.

Argh.  Honestly, I think I've watched four or five different cop shows lately with exactly the same premise.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2018, 04:06:23 AM »
The Musketeers - the 2014 BBC version. The King (Louis) has such a sweet smile. I struggled with the Alexandre Dumas book, but The Three Musketeers always translates well to film or TV series. The Czech countryside (where it was filmed) is so pretty too.

Love that show. I think I stopped watching around season 3, you've reminded me to dig it out again.

Also a fan of George Gently, which someone already mentioned.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2018, 04:09:05 AM »

I love that I can get youtube right on my TV.

I have two boxed sets of The Professionals in case I happen to misplace one.

You should look up The Sweeney as well, and for something completely different ... Minder.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
Binged...

Nothing like the original show. Sabrina is an unexpectedly dark supernatural adventure that embraces the satanic elements of witchcraft. It's pretty good, but the tone is somewhat uneven, like it can't decide what it wants to be. It's from the same people that did The CW's Riverdale (same world even, Riverdale gets a few mentions in the show), which, unsurprisingly, suffered from the same problem. It veers wildly between a Disney channel show and True Blood.  As a side note, the lead (Kiernan Shipka) looks way too much like Hermione, (I mean Emma Watson) - both of them the greatest witches of their generation, by the way. The whole show is like this, it's either incredibly derivative or constantly winking at us. My other 'complaint' is that the show doesn't always let the drama breathe, wrapping up scenes so quickly that they end up leaving plenty of suspense on the cutting room floor.

Nevertheless, a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

I've just started watching this, so far I''m digging it. I know what you mean about it switching from disney to true blood, but I actually kind of like that they've done it that way. I also agree that they wrapped up some scenes too quickly.

The first scene that comes to mind is where the coven follow her back to the house after the black baptism, and the High Priest immediately backs off when Ambrose lies about having put down a protection spell. Am I supposed to believe that the High Priest, the representative of the dark lord, who considers that night to be of the highest importance, just accepts it and leaves? That scene could have been far better, and a show of the kind of magic we could expect to see. Bit disappointed by that.

Having said that, I'm still enjoying it so I'll watch the rest. I used to watch Sabrina all those years ago, I'm liking their new take on it. I couldn't get past the first ep of Riverdale, so I can't compare.
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

prolificwriter

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of the new Sabrina and I gotta say I’m not impressed. It was all very meh and that blur effect they overuse is annoying. The Sabrina and Harvey relationship is a total snoozefest in this one.

The original Sabrina was much better at the lighthearted moments. Plus, it had a talking Salem! The darker aspects of witchcraft reminded me of Salem (WGN show) and were much better done in that show.

Not sure if I’ll finish this TBH. I love witch shows (even the new Charmed is getting better after the awful premiere episode) but this is just not doing it for me. I might watch it if I have nothing else to watch, but I can’t say I care either way whether I see it again.

:catrun

Oh, and the whole conflict of the show is choosing between her mortal side and witch side. But her mortal life is so dull, I just wanted her to sign the damn book and go to the magical school.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:18:16 AM by prolificwriter »

rowanoak

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »
I've been watching Forever on Amazon Prime and I love it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of the new Sabrina and I gotta say I’m not impressed. It was all very meh and that blur effect they overuse is annoying. The Sabrina and Harvey relationship is a total snoozefest in this one.

The original Sabrina was much better at the lighthearted moments. Plus, it had a talking Salem! The darker aspects of witchcraft reminded me of Salem (WGN show) and were much better done in that show.

Not sure if I’ll finish this TBH. I love witch shows (even the new Charmed is getting better after the awful premiere episode) but this is just not doing it for me. I might watch it if I have nothing else to watch, but I can’t say I care either way whether I see it again.

:catrun

Oh, and the whole conflict of the show is choosing between her mortal side and witch side. But her mortal life is so dull, I just wanted her to sign the damn book and go to the magical school.

There's a new Charmed?