Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85638 times)

Edward M. Grant

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2018, 03:51:14 AM »
Started watching The Orville, because it was on sale for $9.99 on iTunes.

Wasn't sure quite what to expect, but so far it's like a more serious version of Galaxy Quest, or Star Trek but with real people.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »
Finished The Orville. I have to say, it's the best Star Trek since Kirk.

The Doctor

« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2018, 05:08:04 AM »
Now I have Sky TV again, I've been enjoying Psychob*tches (a comedy where a therapist (Rebecca Front) talks to famous women throughout history, as played by Michelle Gomez, Sharon Horgan, Katy Brand, Doon Mackichan, and more).

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #203 on: December 25, 2018, 05:55:29 AM »
Now I have Sky TV again, I've been enjoying Psychob*tches (a comedy where a therapist (Rebecca Front) talks to famous women throughout history, as played by Michelle Gomez, Sharon Horgan, Katy Brand, Doon Mackichan, and more).

I was just talking to someone about Steve Allen's Meeting of the Minds series from the 70s. He moderated discussions between famous historical characters like DaVinci, Catherine the Great, Einstein, etc. Although considering the title of your series, I think the vibe may have been very different.  :hehe

The Doctor

« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
I've not heard of Meeting of the Minds but, yes, it's probably a different kettle of fish.

Incidentally, one of the creators/writers of Psychob*tches is Jeremy Dyson, one quarter of British comedy troupe, The League of Gentlemen (which also includes Mark Gatiss, of Sherlock fame).

Gayle Ramage Website

Anarchist

« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:12 AM »
Just finished watching Daredevil Season 3.

Terrific show. Great writing. Great acting. And the fight scenes... dayum!

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

guest1038

« Reply #206 on: December 25, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
My wife gifted me the Seinfeld boxed set for Festivus so, we'll be working our way through the series. Haven't watched Seinfeld in a while, ever since we got rid of TV a few years back. Was hoping the show would be added to Netflix, but thus far it hasn't happened. But, now that we've got the discs I'm looking forward to the re-watch. Definitely one of my favorite shows.

Finished The Orville. I have to say, it's the best Star Trek since Kirk.

Yes, I keep hearing good things about 'The Orville'. I hear that it's better than 'Star Trek: Discovery'. Has that been your experience? Anyway, looking forward to catching up with that show at some point.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #207 on: December 25, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
I haven't seen Discovery: I think it's only available with a subscription somewhere, isn't it? But I was never a fan of any of the post-Kirk series. DS9 seemed like the best of them, though I've only seen a few episodes of that one.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
"The Legend of Korra" and it's awesome.

lyndabelle

« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
Binging on "Travelers" right now. ;-)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
The Great Interior Design Challenge set in England. I watched a full season and just knew the designer I liked least was going to win. Piffle.

PJ Post

« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2018, 04:26:15 AM »

I just kind of lost interest in the whole Marvel/Netflix cinematic universe. I blame Stupid-Fist. It all got too convoluted for me. I did watch the first two seasons of Daredevil though. Thanks for the thumbs up, I'll have to go back and watch season 3. (I did really like The Punisher though.)

I started this when it came out, got bored and then recently tried again. It's a lot like Vampire Diaries, just making it up as it goes along. But it's got just enough going for it, mainly Monroe and Rosalee, to make it compelling.

But I ran across this on Netflix...

Holy sh*t!!!!

This is so out there, so dark, so f*cked up - I'm still not sure if I even like it yet, but I think I do. It's Disney meets Tarantino, seriously twisted and disturbed...

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Anarchist

« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »

I just kind of lost interest in the whole Marvel/Netflix cinematic universe. I blame Stupid-Fist. It all got too convoluted for me. I did watch the first two seasons of Daredevil though. Thanks for the thumbs up, I'll have to go back and watch season 3. (I did really like The Punisher though.)

I read terrible reviews for Iron Fist and avoided it. I watched a few episodes of Luke Cage and found it boring. Same with Jessica Jones. But like you, I was really pleased with The Punisher.

FWIW, Daredevil season 3 occurs immediately following events in The Defenders. The latter is worth watching if only because it adds context to the former. It had a few good moments, but overall was boring. How do you create a series following four smash-mouth brawlers and make it boring?

I dunno. But they managed to do it.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Maggie Ann

« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2019, 01:46:16 AM »
Still watching Outlander.

I ran through all the new episodes of Mrs. Maisel much too quickly.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
Watched episode one of the original Mission Impossible. I'd forgotten that Steven Hill played the leader of the IMF the first season. I still can't relate that young Steven Hill to Adam Schiff on Law and Order.

Also watched the first episode of Meeting of Minds with Steve Allen. They started out with Theodore Roosevelt, Cleopatra, Thomas Aquinas and Thomas Paine. I found it just as interesting now as I did fifty years ago.

The Doctor

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2019, 03:36:19 AM »
Watched the Doctor Who New Year's special (surprise, surprise) - now that's what the finale should have been!

Also currently enjoying and WTF-ing the new series of Luther. Episode three tonight!

And watched the first and second episodes of Dad's Army (British comedy about the ageing Home Guard during WWII).

Gayle Ramage Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2019, 04:32:17 AM »
I was watching Friends reruns but Nick at Night has been messing around with their schedule or something and it seems they air the Spongebob movie at least once a week, so I've been watching 3rd Rock from the Sun reruns on Laff TV.  Miss that one as well as the unfortunately short-lived The Neighbors.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

PJ Post

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:03 AM »
I finally watched this...

It got pretty dark, but really well written.

:tup3b

eta: I barely noticed Art3mis' birth mark at all
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:28:13 AM by PJ Post »

Anarchist

« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2019, 04:56:35 AM »
Finished this series yesterday...

Unexpectedly wonderful. The first season is a little slow as it's devoted to world-building. Things quickly kick into fifth gear in season two.

Ensemble cast, consistently great writing, wonderful pacing, and terrific characters arcs. Plus, the seasons are short; there are no filler episodes.

Black Sails is currently on Hulu.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »
Top Chef Season 15. I do like the competition shows.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
I'm still watching The Closer.  Does anyone know where to find Major Crimes?  I don't think that it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I'm in the final season of Father Brown.  I will miss this one.

Midsomer Murders - I already miss Troy.  I'm not too keen on Scott yet.

Corner Gas - My husband keeps watching episodes without me.  It's so funny, and Saskatchewan is just lovely.  We don't have cable, so I haven't watched the animated series.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2019, 05:59:46 AM »
I really want to watch "Line of Duty". We don't have access to any streaming services, and the DVD rental places are closing down one by one so I was pretty excited to find it at the last DVD rental place in our area.

But we couldn't watch it past the cold open. My husband has been having a stressful time at work, and we've just heard that a friend committed suicide last week. The violence in the opening scene was just too much for my husband after hearing the bad news.

Does anyone know how typical that is of the rest of the series? I don't think we should watch it now, if it carries on like that.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2019, 03:42:55 AM »
I really want to watch "Line of Duty". We don't have access to any streaming services, and the DVD rental places are closing down one by one so I was pretty excited to find it at the last DVD rental place in our area.

But we couldn't watch it past the cold open. My husband has been having a stressful time at work, and we've just heard that a friend committed suicide last week. The violence in the opening scene was just too much for my husband after hearing the bad news.

Does anyone know how typical that is of the rest of the series? I don't think we should watch it now, if it carries on like that.

My son bought me the box set of Line of Duty for my birthday last year.

He said - "You won't like this at all, but it's brilliant so you should watch it!"

He knows that my preference is for entertaining telly or action movies (think Buffy and Die Hard).

I didn't "like" Line of Duty, but I was riveted. I watched the whole of the first series on my birthday evening until silly o'clock in the morning, because I had to know what happened.

There is no light to the dark and some very unpleasant moments.

What is interesting, though, is that there is no black and white. No one is "good" and no one "bad". The people who do really bad things are usually led down a path of bad choices where they find themselves trapped into doing things they never thought they would.

Somehow you are carried with them and see how they got themselves into the position where no good choices remain.

After I had watched the whole lot (three series) I swore I would never re-watch it. But I did watch series one again and found myself sympathising with the character I had hated with a passion first time round.

That tells you something about how cleverly the boundaries are blurred.

Brilliant. But hard watching.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

The following users thanked this post: Lysmata Debelius

Kay Inglis

« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2019, 03:52:07 AM »
I have just watched "Bodyguard" (UK TV series 2018) and I was underwhelmed.

When it was showing on TV I saw lots of comments about it and how good it was, but waited for the box set because I hate waiting a whole week for new episodes and prefer to binge-watch.

Perhaps my expectations were raised too high by all the praise.

It wasn't bad, but there were definitely moments where my disbelief was not suspended and I just thought "Nah! that wouldn't happen."

I've lent it to a friend, but will re-watch it when I get it back. Sometimes I appreciate things more a second time round.

I've moved on to "Poldark" and am loving it!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2019, 06:34:44 AM »
I have just watched "Bodyguard" (UK TV series 2018) and I was underwhelmed.

When it was showing on TV I saw lots of comments about it and how good it was, but waited for the box set because I hate waiting a whole week for new episodes and prefer to binge-watch.

Perhaps my expectations were raised too high by all the praise.

It wasn't bad, but there were definitely moments where my disbelief was not suspended and I just thought "Nah! that wouldn't happen."

I've lent it to a friend, but will re-watch it when I get it back. Sometimes I appreciate things more a second time round.

I've moved on to "Poldark" and am loving it!

Which Poldark? The new one or the original? I haven't watched the new one because I absolutely loved the original. It's been a lot of years so my memory may be blurred enough to avoid comparisons.

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

EmberKent

« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
I'm watching the second season of The Punisher right now.

Before that I watched through the season and a half of Black Lightning that's available on Netflix. The first season was pretty good. Concise story. The second season though... is completely off the rails. I couldn't even tell you what the plot is now.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
I'm binging on Blue Heelers on Amazon Prime.  For some strange reason I've always had a weakness for Australian TV shows.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
I'm binging on Blue Heelers on Amazon Prime.  For some strange reason I've always had a weakness for Australian TV shows.

It's because they're awesome.  :icon_mrgreen:
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Kay Inglis

« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2019, 06:22:31 PM »

Which Poldark? The new one or the original? I haven't watched the new one because I absolutely loved the original. It's been a lot of years so my memory may be blurred enough to avoid comparisons.

The new one.

I didn't watch it first time round as I had recently re-watched the original one, which I too absolutely love.

But my son and daughter kept telling me how good the new version was, so it was only a matter of time before I tried it.

Now into the second series I am fully taken by the new characters - Ross is Ross and Demelza is Demelza.

Frances is good, but he lacks the charm which was always his redeeming feature.

It may take an episode or two to adjust to the new version, but one you have it is a complete joy.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »

The new one.

I didn't watch it first time round as I had recently re-watched the original one, which I too absolutely love.

But my son and daughter kept telling me how good the new version was, so it was only a matter of time before I tried it.

Now into the second series I am fully taken by the new characters - Ross is Ross and Demelza is Demelza.

Frances is good, but he lacks the charm which was always his redeeming feature.

It may take an episode or two to adjust to the new version, but one you have it is a complete joy.

Then I shall add it on to my list once Outlander is over.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »

My son bought me the box set of Line of Duty for my birthday last year.

He said - "You won't like this at all, but it's brilliant so you should watch it!"

He knows that my preference is for entertaining telly or action movies (think Buffy and Die Hard).

I didn't "like" Line of Duty, but I was riveted. I watched the whole of the first series on my birthday evening until silly o'clock in the morning, because I had to know what happened.

What is interesting, though, is that there is no black and white. No one is "good" and no one "bad". The people who do really bad things are usually led down a path of bad choices where they find themselves trapped into doing things they never thought they would.

Somehow you are carried with them and see how they got themselves into the position where no good choices remain.

After I had watched the whole lot (three series) I swore I would never re-watch it. But I did watch series one again and found myself sympathising with the character I had hated with a passion first time round.

That tells you something about how cleverly the boundaries are blurred.

Brilliant. But hard watching.

Thanks for this.
It makes me want to watch the series :)  Sounds a bit like "The Wire" which is my favourite of all series.

Anarchist

« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2019, 04:56:21 AM »
Finished season 2 of The Punisher.

What a mess. And not in a cool damn-the-Punisher-created-a-huge-bloody-mess-in-that-scene way. More of a what-the-hell-am-I-watching or someone-please-jumpstart-this-story way.

All of the MCU series suffer from bloat. Daredevil gets away with it because the writing, directing, and acting are great. The Punisher is inconsistent in those three areas.

The first three episodes...

The following nine episodes...

Rating: 5/10

PJ Post

« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
What a mess.

Rut-roh.

I'm two episodes in...and, as you noted, so far so good...but, um...

Anarchist

« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
What a mess.

Rut-roh.

I'm two episodes in...and, as you noted, so far so good...but, um...

My post made it seem as if season 2 moves at a snail's pace. In truth, there's plenty of action. But it's like watching a Michael Bay film. It's too much (for me).

I liked the pacing of season 1. There were tons of quiet moments where Castle and Lieberman would just talk. Those moments were punctuated by short sequences of insane, grisly violence. The thing that made the quiet moments work is that there was purpose to the conversations. In season 2, the conversations seem like filler.

Lightfoot and Kristensen started season 2 really well. Then, it seems like they gave the writing chores to the B-team and the season got away from them.

I'd love to hear what you think after you've completed the season.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2019, 05:15:11 AM »
I'm watching Roswell, New Mexico. It's a reboot of the original Roswell, which I loved as a teen, but it's not the same. I mean, Roswell was about alien teenagers, this one is about the same characters as adults, and it's a perfect example of what we called New Adult in books, frequent sex included.

I think is well-made, and it's available free on the WP website, I supposed there are geographical restrictions, but the episodes are available on YouTube.

Roswell, New Mexico | Legend Trailer | The CW

Complete free episodes with ads (less than on the live TV broadcast)
https://www.cwtv.com/shows/roswell-new-mexico/

CegAbq

« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
... I watched the whole of the first series on my birthday evening until silly o'clock in the morning, because I had to know what happened.

I'm obviously new to this thread & this series [Line of Duty], but a couple of things:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "until silly o'clock in the morning" ... I do that with way too many online venues! (And I Work Full Time!!!!)

And your description of the brilliance of painting shades of gray so that you even were willing to go back and re-watch are intriguing & I shall see if I can find this series!
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
I think I'm going to go back to watching George Gently tonight. I was about halfway through Season 7 when the Christmas season started. I made it my goal to watch one silly Christmas movie every night and then forgot my friend, George. There's only one more season after this.

Victoria Wright

• Blurb unlocked
    • PublishingWright
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
I've just reached the finale of Mr. Sunshine, a Korean historical drama. Such a great series, though I wish it was longer and this finale has me bawling.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Black Sails - it's Deadwood with pirates.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
Finished this series yesterday...

Unexpectedly wonderful. The first season is a little slow as it's devoted to world-building. Things quickly kick into fifth gear in season two.

Ensemble cast, consistently great writing, wonderful pacing, and terrific characters arcs. Plus, the seasons are short; there are no filler episodes.

Black Sails is currently on Hulu.

Heh. Snap.

PS it's on stan.com.au for aussies. (A$10/month for their cheapest sub. Well worth it IMO.)

CegAbq

« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »
Watched the first 2.5 seasons of Black Sails & really loved it; then for some reason got distracted. I need to go back & completely start over, because it was quite good.
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

PJ Post

« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »
I'd love to hear what you think after you've completed the season.

On The Punisher Season 2:

I watched the Assault on Precinct 13 episode, and that was pretty cool. Now, I'm on to the beginning of end - episode 4...

It's slow going because I started re-watching this...

So good!

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

It's on IMDb 'free with commercials' on Amazon.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »
It's slow going because I started re-watching this...

So good!

Ah, Fringe. I loved that series!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:22 AM »

Olivia:  We have a problem.  How do we solve it?
Walter:  Let's make some LSD.
Peter:  :n2Str17:
Walter:  :icon_mrgreen:

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Anarchist

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

Olivia:  We have a problem.  How do we solve it?
Walter:  Let's make some LSD.
Peter:  :n2Str17:
Walter:  :icon_mrgreen:

Had I met Walter in college, I like to think we'd have become fast friends.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
Had I met Walter in college, I like to think we'd have become fast friends.

Walter's a very likeable character.  I'd definitely hang out with him.

He's also completely uninhibited and a disaster waiting to happen.  I'd hang out with him, but not at my place.   :smilie_zauber:

PJ Post

« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2019, 01:05:50 AM »
But what about Walternate?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »

Tough call.

On the one hand, he's a genius who's in complete control of his faculties, and such people are cool to talk to.

On the other hand, Walternate is cold-blooded as hell.  I'd like to think I could convince him to use his powers for good instead of evil, but you never know.

Anarchist

« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »

Tough call.

On the one hand, he's a genius who's in complete control of his faculties, and such people are cool to talk to.

On the other hand, Walternate is cold-blooded as hell.  I'd like to think I could convince him to use his powers for good instead of evil, but you never know.

I'd like to spike Walternate's coffee with a handful of laxatives.

PJ Post

« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »
Okay...

Season 2 watched.

You should start a new thread to discuss just how bad this is - a Writers Workshop of what not to do. I was kind of hate-watching it by the end. The first few episodes were good, well-paced and engaging. I was psyched. But by the end, it felt like a whole new writer's room was hired to finish the second half of the season. And...I know the fight scenes were going for edgy and gritty, but humans cannot endure this much brutality, like at all, much less return for the next scene. So many stories/characters, and yet, no character development, which leaves us with no one to route for. And the actual plot...the inciting incident is beyond ludicrous. I have no problem mixing 'politics' with entertainment, but you still have to make it work in the story. Get Out made a statement - and - was also really entertaining. Handmaid's Tale did it even better. The Punisher was more like TLJ. Hamhanded politics is no better than hamhanded plot devices or stereotypical characters.

So, um...yeah, I think a 5 is way too generous. I hope cinemasins does an episode on it.

I think this is becoming a broader problem with film. I mean, most of these guys went to film school. They had to take tests on this sh*t - they know the mechanics of craft...and yet...hours and hours of disappointment.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist