Author Topic: [Timothy Ellis] 5 Million published SFF&F words Milestone with novel #69  (Read 26337 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Jane's Halloween
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2020, 10:37:07 PM »
Looks suitably spooky. Do you you a physical model for the ship?

All the ones I'm using these days were modeled. I was lucky enough to have a fan who did modeling. He's stopped now, but it was good while it lasted.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:34:29 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

PJ Post

I'm curious, what's the market like for custom spaceship design and 3D modeling art these days? Any idea about pricing?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
I'm curious, what's the market like for custom spaceship design and 3D modeling art these days? Any idea about pricing?

None, sorry.

I was lucky enough for a fan who also played the same games as I did, to offer to do a cover for me, after I asked in the game forums if anyone could send me some combat game images. (I have permission to use them from the game makers.)

It all went from there, and he's refused all attempts from me to get him to accept anything for all the work he put in.

He even buys each new book of mine himself, when I'd be happy to drop a copy on his Kindle for nothing.

So, no, no idea what getting a model made actually costs.

But.... being able to use unique ships on your covers, is worth spending some money over. In the same way some authors do model photo shoots to get their unique covers. Probably similar costs involved.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

LilyBLily

You were lucky. I have a longtime friend who from his teen years would buy model kits and alter them to create characters for whom kits did not exist. There definitely are people out there for whom modeling is a passion who like to create their own models out of pieces of others. Unfortunately my friend is not in good health now and I don't think he's doing much anymore except seeing doctors. 

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
You were lucky. I have a longtime friend who from his teen years would buy model kits and alter them to create characters for whom kits did not exist. There definitely are people out there for whom modeling is a passion who like to create their own models out of pieces of others. Unfortunately my friend is not in good health now and I don't think he's doing much anymore except seeing doctors.

No physical models involved. This is all computer rendering.

But I am hoping to get a few made using a 3d printer at some point.

Jeff Tanyard

You were lucky. I have a longtime friend who from his teen years would buy model kits and alter them to create characters for whom kits did not exist.

George Lucas and co. did that for the Star Wars spaceships.  Pretty neat stuff.

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/millenniumfalconnotes
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Milestone time:

Of a sort, anyway.

I just noticed I had 35 of 36 novels inside 130k in the US paid store.

And 18 of them are inside 50k.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

And Halloween is still hanging on to one of its orange tags.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] 266 Squadron releases 26th January.
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
 :band:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »
Releasing Jan 26, 2021

LilyBLily

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2021, 01:56:22 PM »
Congratulations and good luck!  :smilie_zauber:

notthatamanda

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:32 PM »
Good luck Tim!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »
 :banana: :dance: :banana:

As far as I know, my first Orange #1 Tag in Australia.

Also got one for the UK, but it didn't last very long.

notthatamanda

Re: [Timothy Ellis] 266 Squadron released today. AUS and UK #1s !!!
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
Congratulations!

LilyBLily

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 11:27:40 PM »
That's a coup! :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 11:37:39 PM »
That's a coup!

Very surprising actually.

I came nowhere near top 5 in any category in the US, and wasn't expecting to with this book either. And KU being so sluggish at the moment hasn't helped downloads on day 1.

I always check Aus and UK on day 1, but its a perfunctory check, and this is the first time I've hit the jackpot there. That I know of, anyway.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2021, 03:03:23 AM »
Congrats!  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2021, 11:02:29 PM »
Amulet of Truth is releasing at the moment.

2 Aus #1 orange tags.  :banana:

Space Opera and Cyberpunk.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

As far as I know, my first Aus chart Space Opera #1.

Very unexpected Woohoo moment!  :banana: :dance: :banana:

notthatamanda

Re: [Timothy Ellis] Amulet of Truth has released. 2 AUS #1s inc Space Opera
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2021, 11:28:14 PM »
Wow, great, congratulations!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2021, 02:16:51 AM »
And #1 Cyberpunk in the UK.  :banana:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2021, 03:26:21 AM »
Ganesha's Spacemage released today.

#1 Superhero Fantasy in the UK store.

:banana:

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
 :tup3b

Eric Thomson

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :clap:

notthatamanda

Congratulations!

Post-Crisis D

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em                                                            :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em                                                            :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Jeff Tanyard

:clap:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Ganesha's Spacemage has released. #1 UK Superhero Fantasy.
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »
Woah! Seems I've been remiss in keeping this thread up to date for a lot longer than I thought.

Merlin released 2 days ago, and picked up #1 in US and AUS Arthurian, as well as 3 #1's in the UK, Superhero, Metaphysical, and briefly Cyberpunk.

Marti Talbott

:clap:
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

alhawke

Congrats!   :banana:

notthatamanda

Congratulations!

LilyBLily

:catrun Good to see someone's books selling well.

Pemry Janes

Well done!  :clap:
Genre: Fantasy

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Links to my non-fiction, as requested in another thread.

X3 Handbook https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV43G3Y
X3 Handbook for AP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010VYG67A
X4 Shipyard Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QZ6WN5P
Life Harmony: Feng Shui in Plain English https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EX4Y07S
Personal Healing using basic Meditation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HT087E0
Wisdom of the Ages 1-5 Bundle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TSQ7LG
Wisdom of the Ages https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQSORZI
Wisdom of the Ages Volume 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HV5C6WC
Wisdom of the Ages Volume 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJBWRP8
Wisdom of the Ages Volume 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KF6QARQ
Wisdom of the Ages Volume 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNMV9TQ
Wisdom of the Ages 6 Accrued Karma https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KP5OYT8
Wisdom of the Ages 7 Healing the Indigo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KP9BIPM
Wisdom of the Ages 8 Ascension https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJVW71E
101 Tips for the JoG Brazil Experience https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XVA1BKY

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Old magic released on the 4th.

My first venture into Contemporary Urban Fantasy, and possibly my last.

Pre-orders were less than half of normal, and the best I did in any category was #5 as a result.

Possibly the 4 week release period was sabotaging the pre-orders, but they were well down anyway.

Also I forgot to update the cover, so that went in a day late. The old cover was for a stand alone outside the universe. The book in the end was firmly in my universe, but the font was wrong for showing that. Fixed, but most people got the old cover.

So. Botched launch in a new set of categories which didn't include my normal ones. Oh well.

alhawke

So sorry to hear it. It definitely could be due to you venturing into a new genre. Sometimes I think that's like releasing a book as a new author.
And, is December a good time for a release? I hope it is. I'm putting out a second book and preorder to complete a fantasy trilogy this week. But ads are moving at a snails pace for me this month, so that doesn't bode too well. Anyway, hope things pick up for your new book. Good luck!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
And, is December a good time for a release?

Normally December is good for me. But I don't hold books up for anything. When they're ready, they release.

I think the other factor is the MC is old, where I've been writing mainly young MC's.

I'll have to wait and see if people change their minds and get it anyway.

So far have had 2 of 3 reviews saying they liked the character and want more. So that's positive at any rate.

Lynn

You just need to build the audience with more books in that specific genre niche. All my own experience says even a slight shift in genre can change your audience. My multiple series aren't all that different but each one seems to have a different audience.

For a shift like that, your new book has done well. :)
Don't rush me.

Anarchist

If I were in your shoes, I'd publish books in this genre under a different name (e.g. T. Ellis).

Develop a second brand.

You clearly have people in your current audience who are interested in these books. Get them onto a second mailing list (the T. Ellis list).

No need to hide the association between the two brands. Mention it on your site. Mention it your books. Mention it at the end of your emails ("I also publish Urban Fantasy books under T. Ellis" or "I also publish Science Fiction/Cyberpunk under Timothy Ellis").

Separating and developing brands distinguished by genre will prevent their dilution.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: angela

Jeff Tanyard

So is Old Magic part of the Hunter universe, or isn't it?  The cover font is the same, but you say it's a different genre, and the cover imagery is definitely different, yet you also say it's firmly in your universe, so I'm confused.  And if I'm confused about that, then I'm probably not the only one, which might be why sales underperformed your expectations.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
So is Old Magic part of the Hunter universe, or isn't it?  The cover font is the same, but you say it's a different genre, and the cover imagery is definitely different, yet you also say it's firmly in your universe, so I'm confused.  And if I'm confused about that, then I'm probably not the only one, which might be why sales underperformed your expectations.

The original idea was a standalone.

What happened was in Merlin, he vanished for a few seconds, which for him was a week.

So in Old Magic, he spends that week with the new MC. And later, several months. So Old Magic is for my Merlin character, a sequel to the last book, just told from the PoV of a new character.

It also references events a couple of years in the future already documented in a short story, which was made into a movie for a later book, and itself references in a number of other places.

The universe covers 4100 years, with the main prequel stuff happening in 1969 and 2022. This is 2019-2021 filling part of that timeline, from a new PoV.

I also bring back a character from the future, and that character takes back information my Merlin character is unable to give them himself, so it sets up part of what I need for the first book in the next series, Mage King.

It's also Earth, before it becomes uninhabitable. With the main character becoming aware of that, and it sets up a possible series, set with the events of the exodus of mankind to the stars as a it's focus. So if I want to, I can tell the story of how humans left Earth, from the perspective of someone operating behind the scenes to make it happen. That would be 100 odd years of story, and require a second MC to take over mid way through.

So what was originally a stand alone idea, when it came to be written, turned into just another universe story, set in a time which hadn't been used yet.

If I were in your shoes, I'd publish books in this genre under a different name (e.g. T. Ellis).

It's a thought for if I do write a non-universe standalone in the future.

Interestingly, this new MC provides me with a pen name for writing space detective if I move that way in the future.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Mage King made a single #1 for about half an hour, otherwise did what first books in series often do, didn't launch as well as I'd have liked.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Rockmonster Rules released yesterday to 3 UK #1s. Superhero, Metaphysical & Visionary, and Space Marine.  :banana: :dance: :banana:

Tanked out in AUS and US stores though, and were a bit underwhelming rank wise. Still, people seem to be distracted at the moment.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Rockmonster Rules with 3 UK #1s
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2022, 12:24:35 AM »
Soldiers of Fortune has released in the Australian store and is beginning it's release run around the world now.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Soldiers of Fortune now releasing
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »
I've been forgetting to post here.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Soldiers of Fortune now releasing
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
More Old Magic released last saturday.

The ratings are bad, but I touched on politics and 'the bug' issues in a current fantasy, which is not my normal.

Some bad reviews which show they didn't really read what I said, just what they wanted to see so they could get upset about it. Mostly in the UK I notice.

Sometimes I think the rating system isn't right. Books which get 3 would seem to be doing the job. Lots of people loving it, lots of people hating it, and it hitting some spot with just about everyone. Isn't that what we want?   grint

Anyway, there is 1 strange thing going on at the moment.

Normally on the Australian store, my books hit, climb to a debut rank, and then rapidly fall away while the US is still going up.

This book, which is about Australia, made it reluctantly into the late 500s, then fell to the early 700s, and has stuck there now for 4 days. That isn't normal by any means.

Only 2 Aus reviews. 1 at each extreme.

Narrowly missed out on a #1 in the UK. Will post the heady company I was in and who blocked me from it.

The following users thanked this post: djmills

LilyBLily

Hanging out with dead people.  :clap:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Re: [Timothy Ellis] Unifier, novel 52, just released.
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2022, 02:26:53 PM »
Unifier just went live in the US.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2022, 07:11:44 PM »
Missed putting the last book here, so here's it and the one just released.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
Personal Milestone just passed.

4 MILLION Science Fiction and Fantasy Words Published.

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana:
 :band: :band: :band: