Author Topic: How do I sell attic copies of an out-of-print book?  (Read 759 times)

LilyBLily

How do I sell attic copies of an out-of-print book?
« on: November 11, 2020, 09:01:21 AM »
Here's the scenario: Someone in my family self-published a book more than 50 years ago. I think we might have a few dozen copies in the attic of a family home. The book is listed on Amazon occasionally as for sale by a third-party seller (with the usual astronomical price). Currently, it's listed as out of print.

I can't see the value in keeping a carton of these books in the attic for another 50 years. What's the best way to go about listing it on Amazon and selling it?

I don't want to sell it on eBay, which friends have described to me as a den of thieves who pretend they didn't get the product and then get the purchase price refunded with no seller recourse. I have heard that on Amazon the trick is to make the list price low but the shipping and return price high. But who moves the physical book? Am I supposed to ship the carton to Amazon to fulfill? I've heard of people doing something like that but my memory of the details is vague.

Simon Haynes

Re: How do I sell attic copies of an out-of-print book?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to set up as a vendor, and then you handle the shipping when someone buys.

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:14:02 AM »
I have a friend whose hobby is going to Goodwill and similar outlets and buying signed used books. He is set up as a vendor and currently has over 300 different used books on Amazon for sale. He looks up what the books sell for on Amazon, and prices his books competitively. He sells a few hundred dollars worth of books every month.
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

okey dokey

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
Simon and Andy have it right.
Just use a vendor account.
Describe the book as in new condition, if it is, and set the price. You do not send the book to Amazon. When Amazon makes the sale, Amazon will send you the shipping address.
If I recall correctly, Amazon adds a little more to your royalty to help offset your delivery cost.

And Amazon pays you in 14 days !