Author Topic: Star Trek OS vs. AOS movies  (Read 1074 times)

Lynn

Star Trek OS vs. AOS movies
« on: September 24, 2021, 08:11:54 AM »
I have favorites. :)

The Voyage Home remains my most loved original movie.

I like Star Trek the reboot, don't hate Into Darkness (lol), and really love Beyond. I struggle to understand why so many people think Beyond is so weak. Truly, one of my favorites.

Don't rush me.

Wonder

Re: Star Trek OS vs. AOS movies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 08:23:42 AM »
The Voyage Home is my favorite too! More than any other Star Trek movie, I remember the details of the story and the characters, years and years after watching the movie. Also, whales are cool, the humor was fun but not cheesy, and Kirk and Spock had great chemistry.

I like the reboots just fine, and I especially like Chris Pine as Kirk, but I found the stories more forgettable. Also, and perhaps this is because I was a fan of the original cast, sometimes it felt like I was watching beautiful actors cosplaying as the original cast, instead of them embodying those characters. The new movies have a kind of Disneyeque cleanness to the way they're shot. It's all very pretty, but the stories feel less real to me.

Still, any day with Star Trek is a good day, in my opinion. I've enjoyed everything they've ever put out, maybe except for that weird episode of Voyager where Janeway and Chitokay turned into slug aliens and had slug babies together. That was... odd to say the least.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:04:02 AM »
Still, any day with Star Trek is a good day, in my opinion. I've enjoyed everything they've ever put out, maybe except for that weird episode of Voyager where Janeway and Chitokay turned into slug aliens and had slug babies together. That was... odd to say the least.

That was Janeway and Paris which makes it worse.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

Eric Thomson

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »
I really liked that time when Captain Picard faced down a Star Destroyer and played charades with Emperor Palpatine. Or was that Captain Kirk and Darth Plaguis - what a tragedy, amiright?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »
Around the time of Into Darkness, there was this....

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

j tanner

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 05:43:50 PM »
Voyage is pretty good, but I prefer Wrath of Khan. Most of the others are dull to bad. I'd (re-re-re-)watch Balance of Terror ten times before revisiting any of those.

The reboot cast is stellar, but it's vaguely dissatisfying recasting these characters at all. I enjoyed Trek and Beyond well enough despite that. Into Darkness should have started there and never emerged.

PJ Post

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:44:07 PM »
Balance of Terror has been my favorite episode since the first time I watched it as a kid, although City on the Edge of Forever is pretty close.

For me, movie-wise/story-wise, there's Wrath of Khan and then everything else. Although a distant second, First Contact is pretty good too. But my favorite one to re-watch is JJ's reboot. It's just fun. Voyage Home is too. "No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in space."

Lynn

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 12:47:47 AM »
I'm probably biased toward Beyond because Bones and Spock are my favorite characters in the ST OS universe. Data was my favorite NG character. :)

The actors didn't matter so much. Bones was older even in the OS and I was in middle school watching reruns and still had a crush on him. :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:50:08 AM by Lynn »
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 12:56:01 AM »
I remember when there were people complaining the original cast was "too old" to play the characters anymore because it wasn't believable for them to be fighting bad guys and all that.  But, "Balance of Terror" and The Wrath of Khan both showed that you can have a good, high stakes story without any fisticuffs.  So the age complaint was just ageism and not really a valid complaint.  More so since this is scifi and a lot of scifi stories can be told that don't involve hand-to-hand combat.

Anyway, I can't help but think of The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home as a trilogy.  The opening of The Final Frontier kind of wraps it all up too though where you have Kirk, Spock and McCoy acknowledging that the three of them are basically their own real family.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Lynn

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 01:52:09 AM »
The only reason The Wrath of Khan isn't one of my favorites is because it's heartbreaking and then it leads into The Search for Spock which is also heartbreaking. I love them all though and think The voyage Home is the perfect cap to that little trilogy inside the series.
Don't rush me.

Lynn

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 01:58:32 AM »
When it comes to DeForest Kelley versus Karl Urban, I was actually really pleased with Karl Urban. They might not have shared similar looks but I felt like Urban made me feel like he was Bones. :)
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 07:04:32 AM »
I haven't seen the recent movies.  Of the 20th-century movies, my favorites are Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact.

First Contact is currently free to watch on YouTube, by the way.   :banana:

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website