Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109448 times)

Anarchist

What movie did you recently watch?
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:52:36 AM »
We're all storytellers, so I assume most of us enjoy watching films.

What did you watch recently? How would you rate it on a scale from 1 to 10?

I'll start...

Rating: 8

Your turn.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:01:02 AM »
Just watched it last night. Again.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Lex

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:18:09 AM »
I'm all about horror this time of year.

The Wailing (available on Netflix, FYI)

Rating: 9/10

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:24:16 AM »
I'm all about horror this time of year.

The Wailing (available on Netflix, FYI)

That movie was awesome!

Speaking of horror, Train To Busan was also good (and also on Netflix).
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

The Doctor

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:55 AM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The former a semi-biographical account of writer Alan Bennett's encounters with a homeless woman over the decades.

The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

The following users thanked this post: Lex

Lex

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:49:45 AM »
That movie was awesome!

Speaking of horror, Train To Busan was also good (and also on Netflix).

Just watched that one, as well!
I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters if you like Korean Horror.  It's my favorite.

Lex

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:50:15 AM »
The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

That sounds excellent!

Anarchist

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 03:57:40 AM »

Just watched that one, as well!
I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters if you like Korean Horror.  It's my favorite.

Nice! I just added A Tale of Two Sisters to my Watch list. :)

guest120

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:54 AM »

Just watched this last night with my better half. Hadn't seen it in years. Not as good as I'd remembered. Still decent though.

I give it: 7/10.
She gives it: 10/10. (have to keep in mind though, Keanu is one of her movie boyfriends)

oganalp

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 04:01:49 AM »
Just watched Avengers: Infinity Wars.

It was OK. I enjoyed watching it, but it was suffering from having too many characters, and not giving enough screen time to most.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 04:52:55 AM »
The last movie I watched was Jumanji. I wasn't going to watch it because how can you top Robin Williams.

I'm so glad they went in a different direction so I was able to enjoy the movie for what it was. 9/10 because as the nuns always told me, nobody's perfect.

The Doctor

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 04:59:25 AM »

That sounds excellent!

It is. I was pleasantly surprised.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

guest642

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 05:35:21 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp. Meh. It's a nice safe Marvel movie. 6/10 because I knew what to expect and it didn't disappoint, but it also didn't wow me in any way whatsoever.

For reference, here are my scores for other, recent Marvel movies:

Black Panther: 6/10 (It was aiiight, but man, what shoddy CGI!)
Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10 (Wow, that ending!)

Rick Partlow

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:03 AM »
If we're talking in the theater, the last one I saw was Ant Man and the Wasp, which I'd give a 7.5.  Great SFX, engaging characters.  A bit light on plot.
If on TV, I watched Infinity War again, for about the 12th time.  9 out of 10.
Before that, Wind River, which was also a 9 for different reasons.  Love that movie.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »
I just realized that it's been a couple of months since I've seen a movie.

Thor: Ragnarok.  All of the critics loved it.  I enjoyed the other two, but this one annoyed the crud out of me.  I was surprised that my husband and son didn't care for it, either.

5/10, and I'm being extremely generous.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »
I don't watch a lot of new movies.  I mainly just re-watch stuff I have on DVD.  I think the last one I watched was Patton.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

guest120

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp. Meh. It's a nice safe Marvel movie. 6/10 because I knew what to expect and it didn't disappoint, but it also didn't wow me in any way whatsoever.

For reference, here are my scores for other, recent Marvel movies:

Black Panther: 6/10 (It was aiiight, but man, what shoddy CGI!)
Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10 (Wow, that ending!)

I feel the same about Ant-Man & the Wasp. 6/10 seems about right. I'd give Black Panther 5/10. I was surprised. I thought it'd be a lot better considering the reaction from critics.

The Infinity War ending was pretty cool. I'd give that flick a 7/10.

I just realized that it's been a couple of months since I've seen a movie.

Thor: Ragnarok.  All of the critics loved it.  I enjoyed the other two, but this one annoyed the crud out of me.  I was surprised that my husband and son didn't care for it, either.

5/10, and I'm being extremely generous.

Wow, it's amazing how tastes differ. I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok...I'd give it 8/10.

Anarchist

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
I'd give Black Panther 5/10. I was surprised. I thought it'd be a lot better considering the reaction from critics.

I'd give it a 3/10.

I couldn't wait for it to end. The only reason I watched the entire thing is because I heard it's part of the lead-in to Avengers: Infinity Wars.

I've read there was concern among some critics that they'd be accused of racism if they criticized Black Panther. South Park even made fun of it...

True? Untrue? I dunno. Black Panther was terrible either way.

Becca Mills

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
The Wife. 6/10. Glenn Close's performance was terrific, but the story felt ... conventional? Not complex enough? Not sure. Something about it left me blah.
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
I've read there was concern among some critics that they'd be accused of racism if they criticized Black Panther. South Park even made fun of it...

Ugh. There's a lot of this happening in our movie culture at the moment. It's discouraging.

RCoots

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
I am currently slogging my way through Black Panther in fits and starts. I wanted to like it I really did. I can't figure out if it's because I'm a writer that the story was so obvious to me, or if Marvel just telegraphed it that bad, but I really was disappointed in comparison to my expectations.

Anarchist

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
I am currently slogging my way through Black Panther in fits and starts. I wanted to like it I really did. I can't figure out if it's because I'm a writer that the story was so obvious to me, or if Marvel just telegraphed it that bad, but I really was disappointed in comparison to my expectations.

Based on reviews, this was me sitting down to watch Black Panther...

... then, while watching Black Panther...

... and finally, right after the end credits...

Anarchist

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
On a positive note, I watched The Hurricane this past weekend (it's on Hulu).

Great movie. Solid storytelling and terrific acting.

Rating: 8

Becca Mills

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
Anyone see Leave No Trace? Loved that one -- subtle, restrained, beautifully acted. 10/10.
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »
Anyone see Leave No Trace? Loved that one -- subtle, restrained, beautifully acted. 10/10.

That looks terrific. It's now on my Watch list. :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »

That looks terrific. It's now on my Watch list. :)

It is so good!
Recently Read ...

Becca Mills

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Then again, I really like Black Panther:icon_mrgreen:
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

I'll stop dumping on it. :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »

I'll stop dumping on it. :)

But I liked your gif essay! :)
Recently Read ...

guest642

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 10:47:44 PM »

Ugh. There's a lot of this happening in our movie culture at the moment. It's discouraging.

A lot of it has to do with the fact many reviewers are also on social media 24-7, and it's almost imperative they stick to the "right opinions." I'm not saying what the "right" opinions are, I'm just saying... If you want to keep your job, it sometimes behooves you not to ruffle feathers in 2018.

Lex

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
The last movie I watched was Jumanji. I wasn't going to watch it because how can you top Robin Williams.

I'm so glad they went in a different direction so I was able to enjoy the movie for what it was. 9/10 because as the nuns always told me, nobody's perfect.

I was so ready to hate the new Jumanji. A remake of a 90s kids movie? Come on. But it was really fun. I'd agree with the 9/10.

The following users thanked this post: TinkSaid

guest120

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the fact many reviewers are also on social media 24-7, and it's almost imperative they stick to the "right opinions." I'm not saying what the "right" opinions are, I'm just saying... If you want to keep your job, it sometimes behooves you not to ruffle feathers in 2018.

In other words, don't give your honest opinion, even if it's in no way racially/politically motivated and you're judging the art based on the merits of the art itself.  :shrug

Becca Mills

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 01:59:02 AM »

I was so ready to hate the new Jumanji. A remake of a 90s kids movie? Come on. But it was really fun. I'd agree with the 9/10.

Anyone have a vote on whether that movie would be okay for a pair of eight-year-olds? Excuse me, eight-and-a-half-year-olds? I saw the trailers and thought maybe ...
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:51 AM »

Anyone have a vote on whether that movie would be okay for a pair of eight-year-olds? Excuse me, eight-and-a-half-year-olds? I saw the trailers and thought maybe ...

Well there's the one scene with Jack Black where he's actually a girl who got turned into a man for the game and he discovers ... The Appendage. As an adult  :icon_rofl:

Overall, it might be too intense in some scenes for that age.

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Anarchist

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:15 AM »
I finished watching Taken starring Liam Neeson a few minutes ago. (It's on HBO.)

Rating: 6

Becca Mills

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:37 AM »

Well there's the one scene with Jack Black where he's actually a girl who got turned into a man for the game and he discovers ... The Appendage. As an adult  :icon_rofl:

Hmm. I *think* they'd find the appendage-discovery quite amusing ... maybe also sort of horrifying. Hello Freud.  Grin
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »

Becca, at first I was going to mention that 'Jumanji' does feature some intense action scenes and a bit of humor aimed more at adults, but then I remembered that I saw 'Blade Runner' when I was eight, so measuring based on that bit of anecdotal evidence, 'Jumanji' should be fine. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I could see kids getting a kick out of it. Keep in mind though, I don't have kids of my own, so my barometer may be off on that.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 05:59:04 AM »

Hmm. I *think* they'd find the appendage-discovery quite amusing ... maybe also sort of horrifying. Hello Freud.  Grin

Judge for yourself.

Becca Mills

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:45 AM »

Becca, at first I was going to mention that 'Jumanji' does feature some intense action scenes and a bit of humor aimed more at adults, but then I remembered that I saw 'Blade Runner' when I was eight, so measuring based on that bit of anecdotal evidence, 'Jumanji' should be fine. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I could see kids getting a kick out of it. Keep in mind though, I don't have kids of my own, so my barometer may be off on that.

Sounds like it'd be okay -- thanks, abides. Stuff that's significantly raunchy, gory, or disturbing is a no-no, but general fantasy-type action/violence is fine. Like, Star Wars has been fine. Ant-Man and the Wasp is fine. The very first Jurassic Park, where the lawyer gets gulped down whole -- that's fine. The next one, where two dinos visibly pull someone apart between them, and there's stringy bits ... gonna wait a bit longer on that.

We took them to see Crazy Rich Asians, and they liked it. But at the beginning, one of them leaned over and whispered, "Is this a kissing movie?" Props for the unwitting Princess Bride reference, eh??  :cheers

Some of what gets to them is hard for adults to predict. You know that bit in Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox has a photo of himself and his siblings, and it's erasing from the bottom up as alterations to the past threaten to change the future? That bothered one them quite a bit. Never would've occurred to me beforehand as an issue.
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

Sounds like it'd be okay -- thanks, abides. Stuff that's significantly raunchy, gory, or disturbing is a no-no, but general fantasy-type action/violence is fine. Like, Star Wars has been fine. Ant-Man and the Wasp is fine. The very first Jurassic Park, where the lawyer gets gulped down whole -- that's fine. The next one, where two dinos visibly pull someone apart between them, and there's stringy bits ... gonna wait a bit longer on that.

We took them to see Crazy Rich Asians, and they liked it. But at the beginning, one of them leaned over and whispered, "Is this a kissing movie?" Props for the unwitting Princess Bride reference, eh??  :cheers

Some of what gets to them is hard for adults to predict. You know that bit in Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox has a photo of himself and his siblings, and it's erasing from the bottom up as alterations to the past threaten to change the future? That bothered one them quite a bit. Never would've occurred to me beforehand as an issue.

Yes, if I recall correctly, 'Jumanji' is mostly, maybe even all, fantasy-type violence. That's funny about the 'Back to the Future' thing. You're right, I wouldn't have thought any part of that film would bother a child, but one's perception of certain concepts can be hard to predict. I remember being quite affected by Cameron's emotional moment staring into a painting at a gallery during a Smiths song in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', so I guess you never know. 'Jumanji' doesn't really have anything in it that's quite that nuanced or emotionally intense, as far as I can recall, so it should be pretty safe.

Becca Mills

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

Yes, if I recall correctly, 'Jumanji' is mostly, maybe even all, fantasy-type violence. That's funny about the 'Back to the Future' thing. You're right, I wouldn't have thought any part of that film would bother a child, but one's perception of certain concepts can be hard to predict. I remember being quite affected by Cameron's emotional moment staring into a painting at a gallery during a Smiths song in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', so I guess you never know. 'Jumanji' doesn't really have anything in it that's quite that nuanced or emotionally intense, as far as I can recall, so it should be pretty safe.

Adding it to our list ... thanks!

Oddly, I don't even remember the moment you mention in Ferris Bueller. Interesting how artworks speak to different people differently, eh?
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »

Oddly, I don't even remember the moment you mention in Ferris Bueller. Interesting how artworks speak to different people differently, eh?

Yeah, I think it was the combination of the melancholy of the song and Cameron's own internal battle/existential crisis (though I wouldn't have been able to articulate it as that as a kid) that he was reckoning with and contemplating during that moment of reflection staring into the painting that got to me emotionally. It's like he saw the turmoil in the child in the painting and recognized something similar in himself - a recognition of the loss of his own innocence or a yearning to be understood and recognizing that he never had - and you could read it on him, which was also conveyed in the way the scene was cut together as well.

Of course, like anything else, it's entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.  :icon_redface:

Becca Mills

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 07:30:45 AM »

Yeah, I think it was the combination of the melancholy of the song and Cameron's own internal battle/existential crisis (though I wouldn't have been able to articulate it as that as a kid) that he was reckoning with and contemplating during that moment of reflection staring into the painting that got to me emotionally. It's like he saw the turmoil in the child in the painting and recognized something similar in himself - a recognition of the loss of his own innocence or a yearning to be understood and recognizing that he never had - and you could read it on him, which was also conveyed in the way the scene was cut together as well.

Of course, like anything else, it's entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.  :icon_redface:

No, I think you're right -- there's a lot going on there. (Just went and found it on YouTube.) Definitely seems like a moment of realization for the character.
Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »

Cameron was the conscience and the tragic hero of the movie.   :icon_cry:

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Anarchist

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
Saw this movie for the third time.

Horror is tough to do right. This one nails it.

It's currently on HBO.

My Dogs Servant

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:36 AM »
Saw a mention of  THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN THE WALLS. Had never heard of the book or the film, but it was Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and the trailer looked like fun and  it was a rainy afternoon and I was in the mood for a theatre movie so....

Blech. Two hours and ten bucks I'll never see again. I kept thinking about walking out but since I wasn't familiar with the book I wanted to know the end (it was even worse than I'd feared).

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:28 AM »
Saw a mention of  THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN THE WALLS. Had never heard of the book or the film, but it was Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and the trailer looked like fun and  it was a rainy afternoon and I was in the mood for a theatre movie so....

Blech. Two hours and ten bucks I'll never see again. I kept thinking about walking out but since I wasn't familiar with the book I wanted to know the end (it was even worse than I'd feared).

I don't know. I liked it. Of course, I like movies like that. Nanny McPhee and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are the kind of movies I like and Clock fits right in there with them.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Anarchist

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 03:35:23 AM »

I don't know. I liked it. Of course, I like movies like that. Nanny McPhee and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are the kind of movies I like and Clock fits right in there with them.

Eli Roth, torture porn and cannibal horror auteur, directed a PG film?!

guest642

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:36 AM »
Just saw MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT.

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

guest120

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »
Just saw MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT.

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

I think the bathroom scene is the best thing about that movie.