Author Topic: Intellectual property tracker for writers  (Read 1634 times)

Lysmata Debelius

Post-Crisis D

Re: Intellectual property tracker for writers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:39:48 AM »
If you only have three titles, certainly it would be more cost effective to keep track of that data in a spreadsheet rather than pay $50 per year for a web-based product.

And you have more than three titles, it's going to end up costing you $100/$150/$250 per year just to have access to your own data.  Surely it would be more cost-effective to simply set up a template in a spreadsheet and manage the data yourself.  You don't have to have a "tangle of spreadsheets" if you just start out with a good, well-designed template.  Even if you don't want to create one yourself, surely you could find someone to create one for you for a one-time fee rather than pay a monthly or annual fee.

What happens if the website is compromised?  There's an awful lot of data in there that could be exposed, such as all your pen names and all your titles, performance history, etc.

I suppose I'm in the minority though.  It seems these days, people say magic words like "cloud" and "any device" and other people are like "take my money, every month, yay!"
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 04:46:11 AM »
"Cloud."

"Any device."

:::sits back and waits for the money avalanche:::

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:07:56 AM »
"Cloud."

"Any device."

:::sits back and waits for the money avalanche:::

The first inklings of human concern about a world separate from our own date back to about 30,000 years ago. They drilled holes into their heads to find it - trepanning. That time is also related to the evolution beyond the bicameral mind, but that's another discussion. At about the same time, the idea that god was close by - on the top of mountains or within animals like bears - also gained traction. When the shamans of the time couldn't produce an actual god, those gods moved into the cloud(s). Funny that we've placed our current version of the all-seeing and all-knowing in the cloud.

kingdavid757

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
This sounds interesting (except the cost) I heard about it this morning listening to, I think, the creative penn podcast.
I work in IT and a few months back, I was looking for a better way to keep track of equipment we issue employee's. I was actually thinking about setting up a local wordpress install on one of the servers and using one of those curated list plugins to do this. something like that may work for managing your books also. as long as you make sure you have backups.
Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Science Fiction

Author Central | Mailing List | Website