Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 64506 times)

The Doctor

What are you currently reading?
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:46:12 AM »
(Thread idea shamelessly stolen from GallifreyBase).

So,  what are you all reading at the moment? I love going through these types of posts to discover new books.

I myself am not reading anything right now,  but I recently finished the three books in Paul Cornell's Shadow Police series. Very dark, but very good! Think Rivers of London but with more horror.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

guest14

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:58:11 AM »
I read a range of books because I have a wide range of interests. Thrillers mostly, adventure is always an evening or two hidden in my cubbyhole and obviously good science fiction. Give me a book where the author can take me somewhere new, treat me to unexpected twists and turns and leaves me feeling as though the book was worth the time spent.

On that note, I found the following books interesting reads in the last week.

Playing with Fire, Tess Gerritson
To die in Vienna, Kevin Wignall
The Beauty of Bucharest, S J Varengo
I am Pilgrim, TerryHayes

I might start dropping in my weekly reading list. :P

The Doctor

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:08:53 AM »
Sounds good, Tobias. Looking forward to your weekly list.

I'll check out those books you listed. I sometimes go on a book binge so love discovering new books.

My reading interests are quite varied, too. You can't beat a story where you can't guess the twists and turns.

Gayle Ramage Website

Mark Gardner

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »
Lots of books. I try to review a book I've read on my blog each week: article94.com

Currently, I'm reading Clouds, by L. Fergus.

WasAnn

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
I'm super into audiobooks, so I tend to have one or two regular books and one or two audiobooks going at a time.

Right now: Just finishing up Binti in audio...sooo different and good. By Nnedi Okorafor

Also am re-reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, while also listening in Audio. This is the second time in the last three months! It's just so good and perfect and I so wish that I could spin a yarn like that. (Tenth Anniversary Edition)

Science Fiction is my game.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
Binti is great, though I haven't heard the audio version.

As for me, I'm in the middle of a reread of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories. Initially, I dug up my collection to reread only one story for the Retro Hugos and then wound up rereading all of them. 

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

WasAnn

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »
Binti is great, though I haven't heard the audio version.

As for me, I'm in the middle of a reread of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories. Initially, I dug up my collection to reread only one story for the Retro Hugos and then wound up rereading all of them.

Ooo...the audio is awesome. It's great to hear the pronunciations of some of the words in a wonderful accent like that.

Science Fiction is my game.

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
Currently reading the Hal Spacejock series from Simon Haynes, who's a member over on KBoards.

Just needed a lighthearted read to break from some negativity in my life.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »
Raymond L. Weil - Retaliation - Book five in The Slaver Wars series.

Cheers,
Ruairi

HSh

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Beyond the War on Invasive Species, by Tao Orion

It's on Scribd, where I maintain a membership.  I haven't read much this month.  Fiction doesn't seem to engage me at the moment, so I'm trying to read some nonfiction.  This is the one at present.  The others are equally dense but maybe slightly less depressing.

Hope I'll be in the mood for light fiction again soon.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
Agents of Mars, Glynn Stewart's new one. Last in the trilogy.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
I've read Glynn Stewart's Space Carrier Avalon, is Agents of Mars part of that series?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
I've read Glynn Stewart's Space Carrier Avalon, is Agents of Mars part of that series?

No, Agents of Mars is a parallel series to Starship Mage. The ship captain from SM goes off on his own adventures. Eventually both series will come back together.

Definitely worth reading both series. Agents of Mars is the Red Falcon series. Technically RF 1 and 2 are between SM 1 and 2. RF3 is after SM2. Timeline wise.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Max

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
Starting Olivia Hawker's The Ragged Edge of Night this weekend. Thank you Zon Prime.
Wrapping up edits on my YA Fantasy, at the moment, so reading is on hold.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »

Ah, that's nice. I didn't know he had a new one out.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »

Ah, that's nice. I didn't know he had a new one out.

Released yesterday.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
I'm almost done with Jenn Bennett's Grim Shadows, a supernatural romance in the Roaring Twenties.  It's Book 2 in a series.  Since I've enjoyed it, I need to get Books 1 and 3.

I read pretty much everything, but my library holds list has mainly mysteries and thrillers right now.

Shoe

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »
The Night Manager by John LeCarre and Night Mischief by Evelyn Waugh. (Just noticed how I'm reading two books with "night" in the title.)
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Becca Mills

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
I just tonight finished reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH to my kids. It was one of my huge childhood favorites. I thought it held up quite well, but I definitely saw different stuff in it as an adult reader than I did 40 years ago -- political allegory! Not heavy-handed, but interesting and well handled. Trying to figure out which great children's classic to tackle next ...
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: AtoZ

KCrilly

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
I'm re-reading the Discworld series, I haven't read them since I was a kid and only understood half the jokes.

I'm starting with the Watch books, halfway through Jingo now, and it's been a total joy, as expected  Grin

elleoco

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
I just finished A Forgotten Place, the latest Charles Todd mystery in the Bess Crawford series, which IMO is the better of the two Todd series set in the WWI era. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't say it's among the best of that series.

Next is Dogtripping by David Rosenfelt. I like his Andy Carpenter legal mysteries, but this is a non-fiction account of his move from California to Maine with 25 rescue dogs. An actual paper book, hard cover, from the library.

Brownskins

• Tag Line unlocked
  • Short train rides make for good reading time!
    • Simply CT
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 12:57:04 AM »
I got this series a while back but just now reading it... I am reading Undeath & Taxes (Fred Book 2) by Drew Hayes.  Its about the vampire accountant and his not so exciting life... or so he thinks.  Its really fun and easy to read while commuting.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »
I loved Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH!

Becca Mills

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »

<fist bump>  :grin:
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »

There's no emoji for that?  Grin

The Lost Spy by Kate Moira Ryan. 1949 and Slim Moran has opened an agency in Paris to reunite holocaust survivors. Her latest case is to find a British radio operator who has been declared dead, but is mysteriously transmitting messages to her former boss.

Becca Mills

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 06:13:30 AM »

There's no emoji for that?  Grin

Seriously, Tim better get his butt in gear! I've never seen such a paltry collection of emojis ...  grint

Trying to figure out what classic bit of children's lit to read next. Bridge to Terabithia, maybe. I'll have to gird my emotional loins for that one.
Recently Read ...

idontknowyet

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
Lately all I have been getting is DNF  :sad: :icon_frown:
I need a good book or 10.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Lately all I have been getting is DNF  :sad: :icon_frown:
I need a good book or 10.

There's a lot of that going around.

I've gotten hooked on Nick Pirog's A Speed of Souls. Reading it for the fourth time.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Souls-Novel-Nick-Pirog-ebook/dp/B07BVZZJ5H/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1537502635&sr=1-1&keywords=The+speed+of+souls

The Speed of Souls is the heart-warming, often hilarious, often outrageous, journey of Hugo (a dog who dies and comes back as a cat), Cassie (an aging rescue dog coming to terms with her own mortality), and Jerry (a once popular sci-fi writer in the midst of a cataclysmic mid-life crisis).

TinkSaid

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »
Just finished William Hjortsberg's Falling Angel. I fell in love with his metaphors and world building. Seriously dark themes, though.

The 'kids' are off to tour Northern France next week, and I've signed up to Kindle Unlimited in anticipation of a read-a-thon.

Happy days!

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 12:25:18 AM »
Earlier this week I finished Howl's Moving Castle. Not sure what I'm going to read next. Pondering my options...

RainingTacos

• I have my Spacesuit ON
  • Tag Line unlocked
  • Not all who wander are lost. Except me. I'm lost.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
I just tonight finished reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH to my kids. It was one of my huge childhood favorites. I thought it held up quite well, but I definitely saw different stuff in it as an adult reader than I did 40 years ago -- political allegory! Not heavy-handed, but interesting and well handled. Trying to figure out which great children's classic to tackle next ...

Oooh, thanks! That's going on my list. I do the same thing: read classics to my daughter every night. We did Matilda recently, and several other Roald Dahl books. Soon we'll be starting Charlotte's Web.

As for what I'm reading, I'm kind of going through a reading funk and nothing is hitting the spot. This happens periodically, until I get hooked again.

RainingTacos

• I have my Spacesuit ON
  • Tag Line unlocked
  • Not all who wander are lost. Except me. I'm lost.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 01:16:29 AM »
I'm re-reading the Discworld series, I haven't read them since I was a kid and only understood half the jokes.

I'm starting with the Watch books, halfway through Jingo now, and it's been a total joy, as expected  Grin

I re-read these at least once a year! Every single time I discover new things. :)

Miranda

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 02:23:28 AM »
I'm re-reading The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold. I'd been reading a couple thrillers/horror novels before that and need some good fantasy to cleanse my mind of gore and serial killers!   Grin

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 06:12:06 AM »
Robert, if you enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle, you'll probably enjoy the companion book, Castle in the Air, and the sequel, House of Many Ways.  My kids preferred the last one, but Howl's is my favorite.

oganalp

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 06:44:32 AM »
Michael Hyatt's How to get heard book
Ramez Naam's Nexus trilogy
James Scott Bell's Plot & Structure.

katc

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »
I'm a huge fan of middle grade fantasy and always have a stack of books in my tbr pile. I wanted to try something different and have been reading cozy mysteries.
Second Chance Cat Mystery series by Sofie Kelly is my current read.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
Currently reading:

Southern Spirits by Angie Fox
The Day After Never by Nathan Van Coops
You Are Dead, Sign Here Please by Andrew Stanek

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

cru

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
Fascinating and scary and wonderful all at the same time.

RCoots

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »
I've got Launch to Market, Spinning Silver, a book on travel in the Middle Ages, and I've been listening to Codex Alara this week.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »

Just started "Divergent". I have a really bad cold, though, so I'm not sure how I'll get on with it. Already rolling my eyes a bit at some of the genre cliches, but I'd like to give it a chance.

I've got Launch to Market, Spinning Silver, a book on travel in the Middle Ages, and I've been listening to Codex Alara this week.

Just finished Spinning Silver, on audiobook. Loved it. I thought it was better than Uprooted. Naomi Novik is such an interesting writer!

Earlier this week I finished Howl's Moving Castle. Not sure what I'm going to read next. Pondering my options...

One of my favourite books. Reread many times.  "Castle in the Air" is the sequel - it's fun too :)  But my fave Diana Wynne Jones is "The Ogre Downstairs" :) 

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
Ugh. Gave up on Divergent at about 90% done. The utterly unbelievable world building and contrived plot was bad enough, but the mind control stuff just tipped me over the edge. Now I'm feeling grumpy as well as sick  :confused:

Anarchist

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 01:39:38 AM »
Defending The Undefendable by Dr. Walter Block
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

guest120

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 05:25:38 AM »
My attention span is on the fritz.

Currently reading:

A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
Kings of the Wyld, Nicholas Eames
The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
True Fiction, Lee Goldberg
Deception Point, Dan Brown
Freaky Deaky, Elmore Leonard

Recently DNF'd 'The Blade Itself' by Joe Abercrombie. Also recently cracked open 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson.

I need to learn the concept of 'focus'.

The Doctor

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 06:35:10 AM »
I've started reading Robert Galbraith's Lethal White. After that, I've got a Karen Maitland historical ready to go.

Gayle Ramage Website

Mark Gardner

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
Currently reading Strikers by Ann Christy

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
It's been a while since I turned my Kindle on.  I don't even remember.   :icon_sad:

It's all the excitement of the past week.  It's left me blitzed and frazzled.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

RappaDizzy

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 05:18:35 AM »
Just finishing Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts. Pretty good and more like her old work that she seemed to get away from. :Tup3a:

Tiffmeister

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
So, I'm currently reading one of Rob Lowe's memoir books: "Love Life".
Don't laugh. He's a pretty humorous writer. And his retelling of growing up in Malibu in the mid 1970s is interesting.
I've read one of his other books last year too, and missed this one.

German Translator

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
Currently rereading Eifelheim by Michael Flynn. Weirdest alien contact story I have ever come across - aliens land in 1348...

Just a few of the books I have translated (English <-> German)

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
"Lady Pain" by Rebecca Bradley.
It's pretty good so far. Reminds me quite a lot of The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, but more in the world building that in the plot.