Author Topic: Real ID  (Read 4374 times)

Mammasan

Real ID
« on: March 16, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
Americans: check your drivers license to make sure it's Real ID compliant. If it doesn't have a gold star in the top right, it's not. Deadline is October 2020 (after that the license is no good at airports), but DMVs are real picky about what documents they'll actually accept (mine almost said no regarding my birth certificate --said it was too "card-ey", had to call for a Manager but after much examination they accepted it).

R H Auslander

Re: Real ID
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 04:47:32 AM »
but DMVs are real picky about what documents they'll actually accept (mine almost said no regarding my birth certificate --said it was too "card-ey", had to call for a Manager but after much examination they accepted it).

Depends on the intelligence level of the DMV. I renewed my license in '14. My old license was dead, I'd been gone for a while. They wanted two ID's and accepted my US passport as one. Old DL was no good as ID since it was dead about six months. Hummed and hawed around, what to do, what to do. They had no answer, even though I've had a license from that state for 30 years. Finally pulled out my brand new Russian internal residence passport, fortunately it's in Russian and English. Gal calls over her boss, boss asked where Cebactononio was and was it where all the trouble was in 'crymia'. Told her nope, it was a little village up near Moskau, 1000 miles north of the troubles. СЕВАСТОПОЛЮ I guess does look like Cebactononio to an extent. Got my license, too.

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
Sevastopol. I can at least dope out the letters for proper names. Just a tiny little town...

I'm already on my second federally approved driver's license. Better still is Global Entry. Worth the bucks when you're in an international airport and there's a huge line. It won't work everywhere. There's still some passport hell in Europe and Brazil and all kinds of places.

R H Auslander

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »
She actually pronounced it 'Keebaktononiyoe'. At least she tried and da boss knew of something going on internationally.

I hadn't been back since the Gruzya War in '08 and hadn't had anything to do with officialdom for ten years. What a change. Before it was smiles and Southern Manners and friendliness, 'how can I help you', 'what can we do for you today' etc.. In '14 in both Officialdom and Bank it was scowls and almost 'what do you want' with armed guards at the doors of both and the 'take a number, shaddap and siddown, we'll call you' drill.

AmHere

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:03:29 AM »
Or get a passport card (instead of a Real ID DL) for domestic travel.

okey dokey

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:31 AM »
Yeah, banks go crazy over ID.
I once forgot my ATM pin number. So I went inside to withdraw some cash.
Handed over my driver's license.
Bank teller quickly returned it. He wanted a photo ID.
That is my photo, I pointed out.

"But, that's expired," he said.
"Maybe the card has expired," I agreed. "But that's a photo of me and I HAVEN'T EXPIRED."

I didn't get any money.

Anarchist

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:54:46 AM »
I'm waiting for the new year.

Real ID is still relatively new to people, including the folks at the DMV. The former are trying to get it done quickly with as little hassle as possible while the latter are still figuring out what documents they'll accept (and in what form - certified, official stamp, blue ink, etc.).

I'll let those two parties duke it out.

That'll soften up the DMV's requirements ("Sure. We'll take a fuzzy xerox of your birth cert. Whatever. I'm tired of fighting about it.").

At the turn of 2020, there's little incentive to get it done. After all, no one goes on vacation in January. And you still have 10 months.

I'll sneak in and do it easy peasy.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »
I don't sign my credit cards because, of course, if someone steals my credit card they have stolen a signature to practice, right?

One place insisted I sign it to use the credit card. So I signed it. They didn't ask for my ID to check the signature--which is the point of signing it, right? To match with the ID? They just wanted the credit card signed. Then I immediately signed the credit slip just the same. The idiot then looks at the signed receipt, compares it to the credit card I just signed, and says "those signatures don't look the same." Still not asking for my actual ID. I had to get a manager to sort it out.

Kafkaesque.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

Mammasan

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
I'm waiting for the new year.

Real ID is still relatively new to people, including the folks at the DMV. The former are trying to get it done quickly with as little hassle as possible while the latter are still figuring out what documents they'll accept (and in what form - certified, official stamp, blue ink, etc.).

I'll let those two parties duke it out.

That'll soften up the DMV's requirements ("Sure. We'll take a fuzzy xerox of your birth cert. Whatever. I'm tired of fighting about it.").

At the turn of 2020, there's little incentive to get it done. After all, no one goes on vacation in January. And you still have 10 months.

I'll sneak in and do it easy peasy.

Getting something outta the DMV, that's governed by the Feds, ..."easy peasy."

Are we fiction writers or what!  :icon_mrgreen:

Atunah

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
Try being an immigrant with proper docs and all and someone put a space in my first name where there used to be a hyphen. They don't do no stinking hyphens at the US government so everyone else put it together in one name. DPS though uses that database of USCIS, which put a space back who knows when.  :shrug. It took some fast talking to get them to do it as it used to be, before renewing. No space. I am like, can't you just do it like I have had it for so many years? Nope.  :help. Round and round until finally, fine. One name, no space.

Now how I'll get that darn space out of homeland security I don't know. I fully expect to do that dance again in 6 years, if I am still around or move. And I won't move ever again. Every letter, space and dot has to match or they go all  :dizzy

Of course, I don't fly. I'd have to be put under to get on a plane again.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
Yes, I have the little gold star and no, I don't plan on traveling even out of my state.

I went through it several years ago when I had to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. The original wasn't good enough. And I had to get a certified copy of my marriage license. No, I didn't still have it. I had divorced the man some thirty years earlier. And a bunch of other stuff. I kept everything in a file (a green one) and when I renewed again last year, I brought the whole thing with me.

In the meantime, people were walking in with just their green cards and getting a license.  :HB

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Try being an immigrant with proper docs and all and someone put a space in my first name where there used to be a hyphen. They don't do no stinking hyphens at the US government so everyone else put it together in one name. DPS though uses that database of USCIS, which put a space back who knows when.  :shrug. It took some fast talking to get them to do it as it used to be, before renewing. No space. I am like, can't you just do it like I have had it for so many years? Nope.  :help. Round and round until finally, fine. One name, no space.

Now how I'll get that darn space out of homeland security I don't know. I fully expect to do that dance again in 6 years, if I am still around or move. And I won't move ever again. Every letter, space and dot has to match or they go all  :dizzy

Of course, I don't fly. I'd have to be put under to get on a plane again.

My sympathies. A lot of computer systems are very rigid with regard to name format and do not accept non-standard characters, hyphens, multi-part first names, multi word surnames, etc... And if you want to fly, but the name on the ticket does not match the name on the passport, because the booking system won't accept your name, you're in for a lot of trouble. I know a guy who had to travel a lot for his job and had a non-standard character in his surname. Eventually, he legally changed his name (same pronunciation, only that the surname was now spelled with ss instead of ß) to avoid the constant hassle at the airport.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Atunah

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »

In the meantime, people were walking in with just their green cards and getting a license.  :HB
Ha. That is because by the time we get the green card we already have 10 folders of stuff and fifty back  round checks and get to do it over and over again. And god forbid your green card date runs out when its time to renew the drivers license and renewing the GC takes a year. No ID. I had to convince the lady at the DPS that the sticker on the back extending my card was something put there by official means. Valid visa. I almost didn't get it this time around. I can't really function without a driver license here.  :dizzy

Oh, and I can't renew online anymore either now with the new rules. So I get to sit there for 4 hours while by husband just does a click click.  :icon_eek:

Mammasan

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 01:50:41 PM »
The impression I got of the DMV lady is that they are terrified of the Feds. She told me that for some documentations they accepted, after a Manager later reviewed them and was scared the Feds wouldn't like them, they called the person back in and took back the license. Their acceptance-judgment seems to be based on "What has absolutely zero chance of being questioned by the Feds,"  not, "What is reasonable." (Probably why the green cards sail through --they're the Feds' own documents so the DMVs know the Feds won't question them.) That's why I say, no one should assume that they have the necessary documents when they go for that gold star, everyone should give themselves plenty of time to hunt down/acquire the documents DMVs are now demanding.

DMV's ain't cuttin' nobody no slack nowadays. :nerd:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »

Ha. That is because by the time we get the green card we already have 10 folders of stuff and fifty back  round checks and get to do it over and over again. And god forbid your green card date runs out when its time to renew the drivers license and renewing the GC takes a year. No ID. I had to convince the lady at the DPS that the sticker on the back extending my card was something put there by official means. Valid visa. I almost didn't get it this time around. I can't really function without a driver license here.  :dizzy

Oh, and I can't renew online anymore either now with the new rules. So I get to sit there for 4 hours while by husband just does a click click.  :icon_eek:

I couldn't renew online either but not because of documentation. I couldn't find myself in the system and had to make an appt to go there in person. My license had the correct address, but the system had my old address, and since we had to search by address, I became a non-person. Got it fixed and the lady suggested I go upstairs to voter's registration and check that. Sure enough, I'd been getting mail from them at the new address, but the computer had my old address.

All fixed now, but I don't renew for another ten years and I definitely won't be driving by then.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:58:05 AM »
My license is up for renewal in July, and this time I have to renew in person. I can't remember the last time that happened, but it's probably a good thing. The DL picture is so old it looks as if I'm using my son's driver's license.

Anyway, I decided that, as long as I was going in anyway, I might as well get a real ID. (I'm unlikely to need to travel by air, and I probably won't need to visit any restricted federal buildings, either, but I figure I might as well be betrayed.

Unfortunately, I don't have a passport and can't find my birth certificate. I've ordered a replacement. As soon as I have it in hand, I'll make my appointment.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

LilyBLily

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 03:24:55 AM »
My state went to certified birth certificates at least 15 years ago. In all other respects, it's one of the most backward and wayward states in the nation. People move here to have it their way.

Atunah

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »
I guess some stuff also depends on the state. I didn't have an option of real id or regular DL. I didn't even know about it until I saw this thread so I checked to see if I had a gold star. It seems Texas has been doing them a while. I wonder how many issues will come up when the day comes one can't board a plane without one. If each state is asking for different docs and certified stuff. Will be interesting.

Mammasan

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have a passport and can't find my birth certificate. I've ordered a replacement. As soon as I have it in hand, I'll make my appointment.

May the Force be with you.  grint

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 02:58:51 AM »

May the Force be with you.  grint
Thanks!

I'm usually a worrier, but since I'm not planning on flying anytime soon, I'm not really in a do-or-die situation. I should have ample time to receive the birth certificate, but if it doesn't come, I'll just get a regular DL and then upgrade later.

(I've never tried to order a birth certificate before, but I've had to do death certificates from the same company. Delivery usually takes a few weeks but is pretty reliable.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter