Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308845 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1650 on: August 01, 2020, 11:24:53 AM »
No words so far, but I decided to change plans for my spy series and make it FIVE books. Just finished the covers this afternoon!

Covers are so inspiring.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1651 on: August 01, 2020, 12:00:32 PM »
No words so far, but I decided to change plans for my spy series and make it FIVE books. Just finished the covers this afternoon!

Covers are so inspiring.

They are!  I always get ideas for my stories from the covers.  That's why I started making them first.  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1652 on: August 02, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
102 words. I just could not settle down to anything today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1653 on: August 05, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
240 words and I actually typed some of it. Fingers on keyboard. I've begun retraining myself to type.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1654 on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »
240 words and I actually typed some of it. Fingers on keyboard. I've begun retraining myself to type.

Maggie Ann, that's wonderful!!!  :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

notthatamanda

« Reply #1655 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
That's great Maggie!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1656 on: August 07, 2020, 07:31:02 AM »
898 words today.  Nice to get back to the fairytale!  :smilie_zauber:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1657 on: August 07, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
Nice!

So - a while ago I didn't want to write about a very bad thing. My book is in two POV, every other chapter. Female character had a lot going on. Male character had nothing. Book was turning bland and terrible and I couldn't stand it. So I put the very bad thing in and now my male character has a lot going on and it's going to be absolute (mental) torture for him.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1658 on: August 07, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
Nice!

So - a while ago I didn't want to write about a very bad thing. My book is in two POV, every other chapter. Female character had a lot going on. Male character had nothing. Book was turning bland and terrible and I couldn't stand it. So I put the very bad thing in and now my male character has a lot going on and it's going to be absolute (mental) torture for him.

That sounds very...intense.  Congrats on the words!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:52:08 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

notthatamanda

« Reply #1659 on: August 09, 2020, 06:12:34 AM »
782 - Going back and putting more despair and angst in some chapters. It feels good to be productive, sorry Mr. Character Dude of mine.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1660 on: August 09, 2020, 06:45:51 AM »
91 words last night. Hope to finish up the scene tonight. Where I'm going to go from there, I have no idea.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1661 on: August 09, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
Great job, everyone!
I've decided to take a break from writing and focus on editing.  Have a wonderful weekend!  :dog1:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1662 on: August 10, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
Got bored with editing. LOL  Wrote 180 words and hope to do more later today!  :angel:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1663 on: August 10, 2020, 08:14:09 AM »
Bored with editing? I resemble that remark.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1664 on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
Bored with editing? I resemble that remark.

:cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1665 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
664 words. Not only that but the built in editor did not find any corrections.

And I know now where I'm going to go next. :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, notthatamanda

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1666 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
Edited about 1/5 of book 1.  It's a start!  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1667 on: August 13, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »
942 - More angst. Better book. Not good for MC. I really need to work more if I'm ever to finish this thing.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1668 on: August 13, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
942 - More angst. Better book. Not good for MC. I really need to work more if I'm ever to finish this thing.

You'll get there!  The fact that any of us can write at all is a wonder. 
I've been working on covers all day.  :smilie_zauber:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1669 on: August 13, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »

You'll get there!  The fact that any of us can write at all is a wonder. 
I've been working on covers all day.  :smilie_zauber:
Can't wait to see them.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1670 on: August 14, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »
Thank you!  I had so much fun with covers, I decided to make one more.  Then a book trailer!  I just started this new fairytale today and having so much fun. 
I really would rather write fairytales more than anything else these days.  :smilie_zauber:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:08:08 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

notthatamanda

« Reply #1671 on: August 14, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
That's so cute! I'm amazed by the stuff you guys can put together.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1672 on: August 14, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
Thank you!  I had so much fun with covers, I decided to make one more.  Then a book trailer!  I just started this new fairytale today and having so much fun. 
I really would rather write fairytales more than anything else these days.  :smilie_zauber:

You really are having too much fun.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1673 on: August 14, 2020, 10:35:15 PM »
248 words last night and I think I made some progress in the story.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1674 on: August 18, 2020, 07:10:04 AM »
1776. I need to confirm with the cover artist so we can get going on that. Soon as I have the cover I'll put the first three chapters on my website. See if I can get some email signups that way.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1675 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
735 words with my new fairytale.  It's a start!  :writethink:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1676 on: August 23, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »
Around 1000 words yesterday!  Now, back to editing a different story.  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1677 on: August 23, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
2080 today.

I can be productive when everyone is out of the house. And I love it. Going to listen to chapter 8 now. I don't know what I am going to do in September, maybe I can reserve a room at the library for a couple of hours, but right now they aren't doing that yet.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1678 on: August 30, 2020, 05:19:57 AM »
No writing this week, but I finished editing book one in my series.  On to book 2!  :catrun

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1679 on: September 01, 2020, 05:42:21 AM »
Book 2 finished...now on to book 3!  :smilie_zauber:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1680 on: September 01, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
Finished all 3...got so caught up in the story I hope I didn't miss anything. :angel:
Now, to start writing book 4. 

Lorri Moulton

Q
« Reply #1681 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:06 AM »
1353 words.  I ended up working on a mystery, which I would love to finish before Halloween.
And it has a black cat!  :catrun

notthatamanda

« Reply #1682 on: September 06, 2020, 03:59:12 AM »
I saw a black cat on my walk yesterday. That freaks me out a little.

2668 words today.  Going to try to do read aloud on at least two more chapters right now.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1683 on: September 07, 2020, 12:42:07 AM »
589 - edited and added to the chapter I wrote yesterday. Going to try to do read aloud on 2 more chapters now while the baguettes rise and then bake.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1684 on: September 07, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
Amanda, you've been busy!  :dog1:

This was supposed to be a contemporary mystery...but somehow, the story is now taking place in 1972. LOL
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:23:22 PM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1685 on: September 07, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
I've had a hard time writing this year.  All the distractions, both personal and otherwise, have seriously hampered my output.  I just can't focus like I used-to-could.  (Used-to-could is totally a word.  Promise.)

So, in an effort to try to jump-start my production, I went ahead and started a new story.  It's one I've had ticking in my brain for a while, so I'm not just winging it, though I don't have a proper outline, either. 

The important thing is that I broke a thousand words today.  Perhaps this will be the start of a trend.  *fingers crossed*
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #1686 on: September 07, 2020, 10:12:43 PM »
This year...we need some new adjectives to describe how bad it was. Maybe "It's 2020 bad" will become a thing.

You know what is surprising to me is how fast my hands got out of shape for writing long hand and typing. I was up to 3 or 4K words with no hand cramps, now I have to build up my hand strength again. That's one reason I'm forcing myself to listen to 2 chapters a day on read aloud, although it will be great not to get to the end of the book and have to listen to the whole thing.

On the 1000+ words though -  :clap:

So Lorri - where do we categorize these books? I think I looked it up once and read that there was WW II and then contemporary. I have a 80s book. It was fun to write. Guy had to look the girl's number up in the phone book. Her friend wanted to see a picture of him and she had no way to show her one.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1687 on: September 08, 2020, 06:35:47 AM »
This year...we need some new adjectives to describe how bad it was. Maybe "It's 2020 bad" will become a thing.

There was an explosion and a fire at a power plant in Smyrna last night, leaving a bunch of Atlantans without power.  Normally, this would be considered "big news."  In 2020, though, it barely merits more than a blip in the news cycle.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1688 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:33 AM »
1838 today

Fun thing - I ordered a 1947 Reader's Digest off Ebay, $6, research. I love old books and magazines.

Jeff - power back up? We had a raccoon short out a transformer station once that knocked out power for a good 12 hours. But it is still easier to fix than multiple lines down across the region in a storm. Hope you are okay and didn't lose that much in the fridge/freezer.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1689 on: September 09, 2020, 06:22:16 AM »
Amanda, I'm horrible with categories.  I think I should put ALL my books under the Women's Fiction/Mystery/Suspense/Historical/Romance/Paranormal/Fairytale category.  :angel:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1690 on: September 09, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
This year just keeps getting worse.  We were out of power most of yesterday (it came back on at 1am this morning) so we had no idea what was going on around us...with no TV news, internet, etc. and our cell phones don't work on the farm.

An entire town burned down about 45 minutes away from us.  Just devastating!  We're near a very small town too, and I can't imagine how awful that must be for the people of Malden, Washington. The tragic thing is that their firefighters were fighting a neighboring town's fire further south while their own town was engulfed in a field fire. 

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/sep/07/fire-rages-through-whitman-county-town-of-malden/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:27:40 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1691 on: September 09, 2020, 06:34:09 AM »
Jeff - power back up? We had a raccoon short out a transformer station once that knocked out power for a good 12 hours. But it is still easier to fix than multiple lines down across the region in a storm. Hope you are okay and didn't lose that much in the fridge/freezer.

Oh, I'm fine.  I'm not in the affected area, so my power never went out.  Thanks for asking, though.

There was a flicker or two from the light at about the same time the explosion happened, and I suspect that was related to the wider grid automatically rerouting itself, or whatever it is that happens in circumstances like this.

In other news that didn't get much news, there was an earthquake on the Florida-Alabama border recently.  I've never heard of earthquakes happening on the Florida panhandle before.  But it's 2020, the year when anything can--and does--happen.

This year just keeps getting worse.  We were out of power most of yesterday (it came back on at 1am this morning) so we had no idea what was going on around us...with no TV news, internet, etc. and our cell phones don't work on the farm.

An entire town burned down about 45 minutes away from us.  Just devastating!  We're near a very small town too, and I can't imagine how awful that must be for the people of Malden, Washington. The tragic thing is that their firefighters were fighting a neighboring town's fire further south while their own town was engulfed in a field fire. 

It's like America is currently being powered by the Infinite Improbability Drive from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.   :Hqn66ku:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1692 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »
Oh Lorri, that's so horrible about Malden.

I'm not trying to make light of it at all, but if I hear it was also caused by a gender reveal party my head will explode.

I want to collect all the books we haven't been able to give to our library and truck them across the country to them. But they probably have far more significant needs than a library right now.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1693 on: September 09, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
Amanda, we're in eastern Washington.  The fires were caused by high winds out of Canada, low humidity, and late summer heat.  We had 'red flag' warnings, but no one expected so many fires.  So very sad for everyone involved...especially Malden.

The wheat stubble burns so quickly and a downed power line can cause a spark.  Or a train going by.  Or a person tossing out a cigarette.  Etc.

Photo courtesy of kxly .com

Photo courtesy of krem .com
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:18:20 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

notthatamanda

« Reply #1694 on: September 09, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
Oh gosh, are you able to be outside or is the air quality too bad? We have had a dry summer, but no fires yet, conahura, knock wood. We did have a bear come into the neighborhood last week and it is kind of too early for that. I'm guessing they are having trouble finding food deep in the woods because of the drought.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1695 on: September 10, 2020, 02:46:58 AM »
No smoke yet.  We're five miles from Idaho and the wind was blowing from the northeast to the southwest (which is the opposite of normal) so all the smoke seems to be going to the west side - Seattle and Portland areas.

idontknowyet

« Reply #1696 on: September 10, 2020, 03:11:51 AM »
Glad to hear you're safe. These fires are insane.
But they know the genre of the baby.
Its a bad meme, but I really think a genre reveal party would be fun. Any excuse for a party when this all ends.

I'm going to try joining along. I'm really really bad about writing daily. Spurts are more my thing.

I'll do a big word day then take a few days off to let my brain rest. My dead lines are coming up quickly and I need to finish 9 more books, though I'll be happy with five. That will get me through Sept of next year for releases.

Last night I wrote 7.6k.
Today I would be thrilled with 2k. I also need to enter 200 pages worth of edits from my cold read.

Today was one of my best days when I woke up and found 19k words in my original document that I had forgotten about. My trilogy is now at 195k hopefully it ends at 223k which is only 13k over my goal.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:16:40 AM by idontknowyet »

idontknowyet

« Reply #1697 on: September 10, 2020, 01:08:20 PM »
I managed to write 2k words today, but only edit/transcribe 1 page.

Tomorrow my goal is to try for 10k again. Well see how that goes. I'll be happy with 7k or more. I'm so close but so far away.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1698 on: September 11, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »
I managed to write 2k words today, but only edit/transcribe 1 page.

Tomorrow my goal is to try for 10k again. Well see how that goes. I'll be happy with 7k or more. I'm so close but so far away.

You're doing great! 
I admire your patience with this series...I push the publish button as soon as I finish any story.  :dog1:

idontknowyet

« Reply #1699 on: September 11, 2020, 12:18:06 AM »
I really want to give the rapid release a go. I don't have 10k to spend on advertising to get my books going. This gives me the best chance for the least amount of money. Add to that I don't usually write sequentially.

Just working on one trilogy at a time is challenging. I did cheat a little and start an new books, but I excused myself since I think I'm going to use that as a reader magnet.

I don't think I will ever be the finish and publish writer.

My first book done was the 14th book I'm going to release.
I'm try to work in 6months to a year groupings
So far I have book 1,2,4,5,6,10,14 done.