Author Topic: Where is Hugh Howey?  (Read 4253 times)

okey dokey

Where is Hugh Howey?
« on: November 12, 2019, 01:40:16 AM »
Is he on the ocean?
What's he been up to?
Just curious.

Simon Haynes

Re: Where is Hugh Howey?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:53:05 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Joe Vasicek

okey dokey

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 03:53:51 AM »
Thanks, Simon.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

JRTomlin

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
Huh. He has me blocked with is odd since as far as I can recall I never tweeted him.  :littleclap

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
Huh. He has me blocked with is odd since as far as I can recall I never tweeted him.  :littleclap

One thing I've found is if you say something on Twitter or Facebook or wherever and another person doesn't like what you said, they will block you, even though what you said had nothing to do with them. Usually it's politics that does this.

That happened to me a couple of years ago, just after Trump took the White House and I said something in support of our new president. I was immediately, unfriended and blocked by a guy that has a gardening channel on YT and FB. A gardening channel! Even though I posted the comment on my own FB timeline. I didn't post it on his or anyone else's timeline.

Oh well, life sucks for people that can't handle others having an opinion differing from their own.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: sunrisesunset, The Masked Scrivener

JRTomlin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
I can see blocking someone you've argued with over politics or whatever  (mainly if the argument gets rude or the other person just won't stop), but blocking someone who just happens to have a different opinion is just a little oversensitive. I do feel that any politics at all doesn't belong here, mine or anyone else's, but as far as I'm concerned politics is what twitter is for.  :icon_rofl:

mike herman

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:45:40 AM »
In Hugh Howey's defense, if he is anything like me on social media, i block, purge, delete, etc. any and all political, religious, and gun posters. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on, you are history.

JRTomlin

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 03:53:14 AM »
May I say I find that a peculiar thing to do. That means that when they post something that you would be interested in, you cannot see it. I totally sympathise with someone who isn't interested in politics not following me. That makes sense. But when I post something about writing and it is RTed into your timeline, if you have blocked me, that means you cannot see it. Your loss though. *shrug*

ETA: By the way, when you block me I am not 'history'. I am still there and tweeting all kinds of things to my thousands of followers, and you have deprived yourself of the right to see any of it. As I said, your loss. I block lots of trolls, bigots, and people who are insulting but blocking everyone in the world who tweets stuff that doesn't interest me would be utterly self-defeating.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:57:41 AM by JRTomlin »

Jessica

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »
You can still see tweets of accounts you blocked. There's usually an option that reads like this: "You blocked this person. (blah blah) Yes, show tweets/ profile."

Instead of blocking accounts I usually just mute them. This way they can still follow me and see my tweets. I only block accounts that make me really uncomfortable if they followed me or could contact me like those sex spam accounts or Nazis.
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

Tom Wood

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 06:07:23 AM »
You can also mute individual words. I muted 'Trump', 'Trump's', and 'president' so I could enjoy Twitter again. Every now and then it will tell me that a response has a muted word, and do I want to see it.

On Twitter, I am

JRTomlin

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 06:17:03 AM »
You can still see tweets of accounts you blocked. There's usually an option that reads like this: "You blocked this person. (blah blah) Yes, show tweets/ profile."

Instead of blocking accounts I usually just mute them. This way they can still follow me and see my tweets. I only block accounts that make me really uncomfortable if they followed me or could contact me like those sex spam accounts or Nazis.
I still see no point in either blocking or muting the account of someone who simply tweets about a topic such as politics that doesn't interest you. Just don't follow them and you'll rarely see their tweets unless it is RTed into your timeline. Otherwise, you are just depriving yourself of seeing what they are saying when it may interest you, because when it says 'You blocked this person' you are highly unlikely to look at the tweet.

But anyone who wants to block me because I tweet about politics (which I do) is perfectly welcome to and I won't miss them. 😜

ETA: On the other hand, I rarely tweet about Trump but sometimes tweet about two politicians (one Yank and one Scottish) whose surnames names start with an 'S'. I prefer to keep my political leanings away from here, so I'll say no more on that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:20:03 AM by JRTomlin »

Jessica

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 06:26:29 AM »
You're barking at the wrong tree here. Never said I mute people because I don't like reading about politics. Thing is: There are still plenty of accounts/ tweets that Twitter pushes into my timeline because some people I follow like this tweet or follow this person. It's usually accounts that I don't follow and I'm not interested in so I mute them to have my peace.
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

123mlh

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 06:48:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I blocked a few people when I was on Twitter because they either (a) said something so offensive in a tweet I didn't want to make the mistake of later seeing something else by them and thinking they were a decent human being worth interacting with or (b) were involved in some scandal that made me want to never associate with them like being a known scammer. Each of us draw our own lines but for me it had to be very egregious to earn that initial block but I'm pretty sure a few people did.

(I'm no longer on Twitter at all because every time I go there someone is outraged about something and it's just exhausting to read. For me. To each their own.)

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, LilyBLily, Wonder

Anarchist

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 11:03:44 AM »
(I'm no longer on Twitter at all because every time I go there someone is outraged about something and it's just exhausting to read. For me. To each their own.)

I never got into social. It always seemed like a waste of time, more likely to frustrate me than make my life better. Your post makes me think I made the right decision.

I don't watch the news. I don't follow politics. And I ignore topics that foment outrage (e.g. gender politics).

It has made life so much more enjoyable.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, sliderule, Joe Vasicek, 123mlh

Joe_Nobody

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:29 AM »
I used to "fight" with Huge all the time on another board.
He was a big advocate of free books, I was not. Several times we crossed opinions.
Still, it never got personal. We would often joke with each other and I always respected his position. He had earned that.
He was the last person that I would have ever expected to become overly "sensitive" on social media.
That was years ago, so maybe time and the world have changed his perspective.

The following users thanked this post: Joe Vasicek

JRTomlin

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
I was rather surprised as well, Joe. My interactions on another board with him were friendly enough, though I don't think we had a lot to say to each other. I have no clue what may have brought that on since, as I mentioned, to the best of my memory we've never exchanged a word on twitter. But being blocked is the least of my worries.

okey dokey

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 12:02:23 AM »
I never thought that asking the  question "Where is Hugh Howey" would open such a can of worms that this discussion has become.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Mammasan

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
He just posted on KBoards:

"Hey folks! I've probably been absent long enough that introductions all around are in order. I'm doing my part by scanning your threads and seeing how much of my expertise has hit its expiry date. I'm assuming everything I knew about publishing is even wronger now than it was back when.

I'm not the best writer in the world. Not even the best writer in my household. Not even sure that I'm a very good editor. But I have free time, and I've got a project in mind that might help aspiring authors and pros alike. We'll see. It could fail spectacularly.

The gist is this: I'm looking for great works of genre fiction. I'm compiling a slush pile, and I'm going to go through that slush pile in a public format and read through the works aloud and make edits / suggestions / comments. Basically the same thing I do daily for the anthologies I publish with John Joseph Adams and Gary Whitta. The idea is to open up what is normally a hidden process and make it more communal.

If anyone is interested, feel free to submit your work to me at: openforsubmissions@gmail.com. Subject line should be Open For Submission [TITLE] [YOUR NAME]. The first page or two of the work might be made public. You can put ANONYMOUS in lieu of your name if you prefer.

I announced this here: https://hughhowey.com/open-for-submissions/ But there's nothing there that isn't mentioned here, so feel free to save yourself the click."

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:14 AM »
He just posted on KBoards:

Has anyone updated him about KB's new owners?

Or let him know about here?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Mammasan

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
All I said was:

I copy-pasted on the "Where is Hugh Howey?" thread at Writer's Sanctum.

Edit: He responded with: "I didn't know I was lost.  Wait ... yes I did."

Made me laugh! grint
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:38:30 AM by Mammasan »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

fleurina

• Short Story unlocked
  • Romantic Comedy/Suspense & Self-Help
    • Janet Butler Male
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 04:01:12 AM »
I don't watch the news. I don't follow politics. And I ignore topics that foment outrage (e.g. gender politics).

It has made life so much more enjoyable.

Ditto