Author Topic: Amazon's messing with also-boughts again  (Read 1274 times)

Calliope

Amazon's messing with also-boughts again
« on: February 28, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
A lot of people are reporting that, in the area where Amazon usually has also-boughts, there is now "Recommendations and popular items."   :icon_sad:   And they seem to be based on our browsing history, and no matter what book you look at - thriller, historical romance, cozy mystery - the recommendations are the same. Also boughts are way at the bottom of the page - for most people.  For some people, ABs are still normal.

What are you guys seeing? God, I hope this dumb experiment is over soon. 

bookworm

Re: Amazon's messing with also-boughts again
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Depends on the browser I use.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
The recommendations are skewed towards what I've been searching for lately - psychological thrillers.
I go to Harry Potter, a Bella Andre book, one of Tim's books, all my recommendations are for the same psychological thrillers.  The sponsored products are more in line with the genre of the book whose page I'm on.  I'm going to look for history of economics books next, just to mess with them.  Or I might just go to bed.

The following users thanked this post: Calliope

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:32:21 PM »
I always use Incognito mode in my browser when doing research at Amazon. Be careful not to log in to any of your accounts there while in Incognito or they will recognize and forever connect you to your regular browsing history. I had to nuke all my Cookies to reset that - is there an easier way to reset it?

The following users thanked this post: Calliope

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
I also see "Recommendations and popular items". They're the same for all books and usually based on what I looked at lately. Which, considering I was setting up new release and holiday book round-ups for the Speculative Fiction Showcase and Indie Crime Scene, does not really match what I normally read.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime