Author Topic: New Book in an Old Series  (Read 2213 times)

missingalaska

New Book in an Old Series
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:50:38 PM »
Yesterday, I published a fourth volume in an old but relatively successful series. The third volume was published in mid-2016! I am a slow writer and was distracted by another project for about two years.

Any thoughts on how to push this new book and an older series in general? Each volume did reasonably well when first released, but the time between volumes coupled with a greatly changed publishing landscape has left me at a loss. I can't see buying ads for a fourth book and don't have a robust mailing list.

Also, will Amazon automatically add the new book to the series list?  Or do I need to prod them?  To date, the book does not show on the series page. Have they been good about notifying readers of series that a new volume is available?

:help

Michael S. Nuckols

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: New Book in an Old Series
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
Always prod them to add to a series.

Get the book added to Author Central asap, and send KDP the prod for the series.

With luck, they'll also send out a followers email, and anyone who bought the last one might get the new one on their recommended list in the near future. (Or might not. Bit of a lottery at times.)
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: missingalaska

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:31:20 PM »
If you're in the US use the call me feature on the help and it will get done quick. Have the ASIN numbers up when you call them.

Bookbub will send your followers an email if you add the book there, at no cost.  Not to be confused with the "New Release Feature Deal."

I think the Freebooksy people are running a KU newsletter and some people here have done it but they will have to chime in with results and the name of it.

If you have a website and a blog, linking that to your Amazon author page will put the "Hey I just released my new book" post at the top of your author page on Amazon for people to see.

Good luck.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:49:01 AM »
It's hard to promote a new book that isn't a first in series. I usually do promotions for the first in series when I release a new book in that series (though it takes people time to trickle up the line to book 4 and beyond). I also start AMS ads on the new book, at least for a limited time (to see how it does).

There are a small number of promoters who will do a series promo, but I've never tried one of those. Maybe others have had experience.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Vinny OHare

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:00:37 AM »
Have you edited the back matter in the 3rd book? Amazon will notify the people that purchased your book that there is an update.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:24:31 AM »
Have you edited the back matter in the 3rd book? Amazon will notify the people that purchased your book that there is an update.

They used to do that, years ago, but it doesn't happen now, unfortunately.

OP, it doesn't matter that your book is new or your series is older... the question is still that classic "how do i sell more books" question, no matter the details.

And the perennial answer to that question, besides mailing your list and hoping for help from Amazon: Paid advertising on book 1 will help you reach new readers, and may alert your previous readers about the new title at the same time. Bookbub featured deals are the best, and the rest is probably more viable than ever now that you have 4 books, with 3 to recoup a loss leader on the first.

Vinny OHare

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:34 PM »
I get update emails all the time. There is also a notification on right side of Amazon page when you log in that there are new books and updates from your favorite authors.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »
There is also a notification on right side of Amazon page when you log in that there are new books and updates from your favorite authors.

I only found that the other day. Had no idea it was there.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 04:59:34 AM »
I get update emails all the time. There is also a notification on right side of Amazon page when you log in that there are new books and updates from your favorite authors.

Ooh! Thanks for posting! What kind of updates? I'm looking now, and I don't see what you mean, but I am in Canada browsing the US site so sometimes it's a bit different. Would you mind posting a screencap?

alhawke

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:43:59 AM »
That's a clever point. I didn't know they do that. Thanks, Vinny!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »

Amazon don't notify anyone of updates unless its a very extensive update.

A change to backmatter might trigger an update button on Manage your kindle, but it might not. If people dont go in there, they will never see the update is available. Lots dont even know manage your kindle is even there.

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
Sometime this year I'll be doing the same thing, adding a new book to an old series. I am going to advertise it, but the first in series is the real draw, I'm afraid. I'll probably advertise Book 1 at some fabulous discount and hope a few people will proceed to the other books in the series.

shadcallister

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 05:03:56 AM »
Haven't actually tried this yet myself, so just an idea. But you could run a very tightly targeted ad campaign with your latest book as the product and readers of your previous books as the target. In AMS and BB you can do this by targeting your own books. For FB you'd probably have to settle for as tight of an adjacent audience as possible (if you're not big enough to be a recognizable target audience yourself), such as other indie authors that write in your exact niche. Look through your also-boughts for the series and target your ad to readers of those books. There will likely be significant crossover and when they see your new book branded the same as the ones they read previously, they'll go check it out-- and you'll only have paid little for a low number of likely very cheap clicks since it's so highly targeted.

Vijaya

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 06:40:02 AM »
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say how beautiful and cohesive your covers are and looking forward to reading.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Crystal

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
I think your best bet is running a sale on book one and contacting your readers however you can (social media, mailing list, etc.)