Author Topic: Are you allowed to publish books within the same series both KU and wide?  (Read 1370 times)

guest1291

As in, is it against the TOS to do so?

For instance, are you allowed to say, publish book 1 and 2 of a series in KU, then book 3 wide, book 4 KU, book 5 wide, etc?

I know (or I should say, I strongly suspect) this would upset readers and probably lead to a lot of negative feedback (1-star reviews, nasty emails, bad word of mouth on social media, etc) and probably even lead to customer complaints to Amazon itself, but is it against the Terms of Service as far as you know?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website

For instance, are you allowed to say, publish book 1 and 2 of a series in KU, then book 3 wide, book 4 KU, book 5 wide, etc?

I know (or I should say, I strongly suspect) this would upset readers and probably lead to a lot of negative feedback (1-star reviews, nasty emails, bad word of mouth on social media, etc) and probably even lead to customer complaints to Amazon itself, but is it against the Terms of Service as far as you know?
The terms of service says nothing about series exclusivity as far as I know, only book exclusivity. But yeah, it doesn't seem like a way to customer happiness.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.

Each book is treated individually. So, like my trilogy (which I only have the first two finished) has one book, the first, that is wide, but book two is still in KU and will come out of KU in June sometime. At that time I'll go wide. The only time I would say to "watch out" is if you stick all your series books into a box set. If you do that and then try to put the box set into KU, you will run afoul of the TOS if you have some or all of the individual books out wide. That's why when my trilogy is finished, I will offer a box set, but it won't be in KU.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
KU readers get very very upset when part of a series is not in KU.

Yes you can do this, but its not a good idea.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.