Author Topic: D2D and Amazon reviews  (Read 2704 times)

DCM

D2D and Amazon reviews
« on: November 30, 2019, 06:34:29 AM »
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I publish all my eBooks via D2D and I noticed something.  Amazon is included in my distributions.  It appears that when I republish changes, any previous reviews on Amazon go away.  I am fairly sure that did not happen when my eBooks were "pure" kindle.

Can anyone confirm this or comment?

Thank you,

DCM

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: D2D and Amazon reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 07:43:13 AM »
I don't distribute to Amazon through D2D, so I have no direct knowledge. However, there are people who do, and nobody has previously reported this particular problem. A book put up through a distributor shouldn't behave this way as a result of an update any more than a book put up through KDP would. I think I'm on firm ground in saying it's a glitch of some kind.

I'd reach out to KDP support and get them to fix the problem. You may have to go up a few levels, but they should be able to restore your reviews.

Moving forward, it might be wise to think about going direct to Amazon with your future books. I use D2D also and like the convenience, but I continue to distribute directly to Amazon. It's easy enough to do, and there's no reason to give D2D a cut of the venue that generates most of my sales.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

DCM

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill.

My next book will be Amazon direct.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
You can easily delist your current books from D2D. Just remember to upload them to Amazon first!

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:58:05 AM »
It sounds like they're completely republishing your book. Do you have your own ICBN? This is an incident where that would help.

If Draft2Digital can't fix it (or Amazon), I'd delist it and republish direct with Amazon. It's better going direct with Amazon anyway. You can advertise and you can deal with any problems that might come up (and they will, right  :icon_sad:, something always does). The folks at Amazon can help you a lot easier if you're with them direct.

I also remember a recent thread about people porting their past reviews when changing distributors. Can you see if Draft2Digital can do that?

How frustrating. I hope you can fix it.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:37:15 AM »
I'm usually content to go with D2D for most retailers, but I'd always been direct with Amazon and just stayed that way. The thing about using an aggregator for Amazon is that Amazon can pull the plug on that kind of arrangement at any time--and did with D2D, at least once before. And it took D2D years to reconnect with Amazon. That kind of history is reason enough to go direct to Amazon.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

DCM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
How do I delist one of my D2D books from Amazon?  This would need to be done on the D2D side, correct.  Or, do I just delist on Amazon.  I know how to do that.

DCM

LilyBLily

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
It's very easy. I've done it many times. I found a bunch of directions by googling (and you can, too), but here's one that seems very clear:

https://rochellebradley.com/2018/06/06/delisting-a-book-on-draft2digital/

Do not forget to upload your book to Amazon immediately.

If you want to be in Select don't do it until D2D tells you it has delisted the book. Otherwise, go for it.

One caution: If you have clicked every box on D2D for your title, some of the smaller entities may drag their feet delisting your book. Thus, once you've uploaded directly to Amazon, and if you have chosen to be in Select, which makes your book exclusive to Amazon, you might get a notice from Amazon saying it found your book still on sale on such-and-such a siter. Then contact D2D and ask it to remove the book.

DCM

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:15:58 AM »
Thanks, LilyBLily, but I only want to eliminate the Amazon portion, not delist from everywhere.  I realize I will not be able to be Kindle Select.  Not looking for Amazon exclusivity.

Some of the drawbacks to not publishing via Amazon (as opposed to D2D) is seeing sales on the Reports tab of the Kindle Bookshelf.  I am sure I have sold a few via Amazon, but they never show.  They do show on D2D, but I can't tell which outlet it sold at.   Also to link books on Amazon (my paperbacks are done through KDP) has been a hassle.  For every book, I have had to contact Amazon to link every thing.  I just can't get it done on the Kindle Bookshelf.  Typically, it can't find the eBook version to link to.  I believe this is because it came to them via D2D.  So, publishing through Amazon should eliminate that hassle.

Right now, I am assuming that all I need to do is delist the eBook on Amazon, then turn around and publish it anew through Amazon.  I just was not sure whether there was a D2D aspect to this.  Obviously, on subsequent books, I will not include Amazon in the outlets to publish to.

As always, thank you for your response, everyone.

DCM

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
If you're concerned that you might accidentally delist everywhere, contact D2D support this week and ask for help removing just Amazon.

You can delist from one store at a time on D2D. I have done it multiple times.

This is really much easier than you think. Try the step-by-step and see.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 01:39:02 AM »
If you're concerned that you might accidentally delist everywhere, contact D2D support this week and ask for help removing just Amazon.

You can delist from one store at a time on D2D. I have done it multiple times.

This is really much easier than you think. Try the step-by-step and see.
Yes, if I recall, it's as easy as unchecking the Amazon box in the distribution window.

DCM

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 02:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

When following the directions suggested by LilyBLily, I do not get the screen that the instructions show.  The only DELIST BOOK button delists from everywhere.  I get the message, "Are you sure you want to delist this book at all digital sales channels?"

I've tried to find a way, but it's either all or none.  What am I doing wrong?  I could delist in its entirety, then republish without checking the Amazon box, but that seems like an excessive step.  I have messaged D2D about this, but I doubt I'll hear back until Monday or Tuesday.

DCM

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 03:23:18 AM »
You're right that the delist button is all or nothing. Instead of using that, look on the page for the book in question near the top. Find the small row of very dark blue boxes. The one furthest to the right says 4 Publish. Click on that. It takes you to the page where you can check or uncheck individual distribution channels. grint

DCM

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 05:27:48 AM »
Bill,

Got it.  Thanks.

DCM