Author Topic: Star Wars Ep 9 - The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 9568 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: Star Wars Ep 9 - The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 03:22:56 AM »
And ironically, the nerds won.

IRL?  Are you sure it wasn't the posers that actually won?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Denise

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 04:02:29 AM »
Oh, I see a lot of complaining about Star Wars, but I went to Celebration last weekend and it was a lot of fun.

I agree not everyone likes the Sequel Trilogy, and I think it has problems, but there's also The Mandalorian (which seems super promising), Rebels, The Clone Wars, the books, games. etc.

It's neat to see people enjoying a fictional universe.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

PJ Post

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »

The Clone Wars was great. So we know it can be done - originality, action, story, deeper themes and heart.

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
The Clone Wars was great. So we know it can be done - originality, action, story, deeper themes and heart.

It was also released four years before Disney bought Lucasfilm.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

PJ Post

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Nevertheless. I mean, Disney didn't ruin Pixar.

bardsandsages

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
Nevertheless. I mean, Disney didn't ruin Pixar.

Also obviously didn't ruin Marvel.

I don't really think we can "blame" Disney for the current problems with Star Wars. We know Disney has a track record for actually managing brands fairly well. I do think Kennedy and the "movie making by committee" problem is the root issue. There is no unifying vision for what is going on, just a bunch of random people creating work-for-hire pieces, each existing in a vacuum from the others.

Scrapping the old canon was the worst mistake possible. They had such a wealth of established lore and fantastic characters there to work with. Instead, they went with the "recreate the wheel" mentality and tried to do everything from scratch, mucking it up in the process.

But I also think Disney realizes all of this and is going to bring down the hammer. They already threatened EA that if they screw up the next SW games, they will lose the license (in case people were wondering why the next game is single-player, no online, and no microtransactions...out of EA of all companies). Mandalorians DOES look good so far. And from what little I have heard of the possible Old Republic project, it is supposed to tack fairly close to the old canon lore.
Writer. Editor. Publisher. Game Designer. Resident Sith.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Tom Wood

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2019, 01:23:42 AM »
Has it been determined if Lucas was serious about his Fantastic Voyage idea for the third trilogy, or if he was just pulling James Cameron's leg when interviewed on Cameron's show about science fiction?

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&q=lucas%20idea%20for%20the%203rd%20trilogy&ved=2ahUKEwjCodLV-uPhAhVFhuAKHRsSBaoQsKwBKAB6BAgOEAI&biw=360&bih=560