Author Topic: Problems uploading PDF cover to KDP Print  (Read 1570 times)

garygibsonsf

Problems uploading PDF cover to KDP Print
« on: March 23, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
I've been trying unsuccessfully to upload a PDF paperback cover to KDP Print. It uploads fine, but then I get a spinning wheel, and nothing more happens: one time I left it alone for a couple of hours with no advancement.

If I cancel and go back to that page, it says 'cover upload successful', but no cover is visible, nor can I click the 'preview' button.

I've done it before, but the only difference I can see between that book cover and this one is that this one is larger, at about 15mb: the cover of the other book is about 7mb.

I'm going to try and upload a smaller-size/slightly lower resolution PDF to see if that makes a difference, but it would be helpful to know whether or not this is a common issue with a simple solution.

garygibsonsf

Re: Problems uploading PDF cover to KDP Print
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
Eh, I figured it out on my own...turns out the ISBN entry up top requires an 'imprint' name to be entered, which I wasn't aware of, and once I filled that in everything was fine. Not that it explains the eternally spinning wheel or anything else, but at least I got it sorted.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 01:11:55 AM »
Eh, I figured it out on my own...turns out the ISBN entry up top requires an 'imprint' name to be entered, which I wasn't aware of, and once I filled that in everything was fine. Not that it explains the eternally spinning wheel or anything else, but at least I got it sorted.
Just to be clear, you mean that if you enter your own ISBN number, you need an imprint name?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

garygibsonsf

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 01:33:25 AM »
Just to be clear, you mean that if you enter your own ISBN number, you need an imprint name?

As far as I understand it, yes, and the ISBN has to be registered with that imprint name, the reason being Amazon automatically checks the ISBN to confirm it and see if it is registered with that imprint.

Or at least, far as I know: I'm new to ISBN's, and these are just registered to my name since I didn't realise when I applied for them that you have to do that. I applied for my ISBN's in Taiwan (where they're free), so it may work differently here than elsewhere.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:49:21 AM »

As far as I understand it, yes, and the ISBN has to be registered with that imprint name, the reason being Amazon automatically checks the ISBN to confirm it and see if it is registered with that imprint.

Or at least, far as I know: I'm new to ISBN's, and these are just registered to my name since I didn't realise when I applied for them that you have to do that. I applied for my ISBN's in Taiwan (where they're free), so it may work differently here than elsewhere.
No, that much probably works the same way everywhere--the ISBNs are associated with a particular name. That's why the CS and KDP ones aren't portable in the first place. That does make for a problem if someone decides to change imprint names, for example, but it makes sense in most ways.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter