Author Topic: Thank you for helping me with Amazon questions.  (Read 4960 times)

Marti Talbott

Thank you for helping me with Amazon questions.
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
I know I haven't quite been "with it" lately, and I want to thank all of you for being kind and understanding when I ask stupid questions. I think I am at the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. My Mom and my Grandmother had it so I'm expecting it. The only thing I am upset about is that my body might outlive my mind. Ugh. We all know what that means.

Anyway, you can just ignore me. Rest assured I won't mind or remember, lol. You should try writing a book when you can't remember the names of the characters. Talk about needing a cheat-sheet. My grandmother loved crossword puzzles, but had to cheat and look up the answer in the back of the book every time. It always made me smile.

I'm going to keep writing until they tell me to give it up. Then I'm going to play video games! Yeah, I can't wait.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Maggie Ann

Re: Thank you for helping me with Amazon questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:18 PM »
We all have memory lapses as we age. Just not enough brain space for all the wisdom we've acquired over the years. Get yourself tested. Don't just assume.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott, Ghost5, VanessaC, Rosie Scott

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:51:41 AM »
I changed a character's name halfway through a book once and that was when I was young enough for my brain to have not yet turned to mush.

Also, there has been some progress on the Alzheimer's front.  No cures, yet, but I think they've found something like three different types which would mean different treatment plans for each.  And there's stuff that has been found helpful in slowing progression.  I think eating nuts is supposed to be good as well as keeping your mind active.  Walking too.  I think there was something about walking.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:04:00 AM »
We all have memory lapses as we age. Just not enough brain space for all the wisdom we've acquired over the years. Get yourself tested. Don't just assume.

I agree - it could easily just be mental overload. I said to my son just recently that I would be reasonably sure I didn't (yet) have Alzheimers while I could still plot a novel without getting tied in knots. Names are a different matter - I had the infamous 'dog with 3 names' episode a few novels ago.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Marti Talbott

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:10:42 AM »
I changed a character's name halfway through a book once and that was when I was young enough for my brain to have not yet turned to mush.

Also, there has been some progress on the Alzheimer's front.  No cures, yet, but I think they've found something like three different types which would mean different treatment plans for each.  And there's stuff that has been found helpful in slowing progression.  I think eating nuts is supposed to be good as well as keeping your mind active.  Walking too.  I think there was something about walking.

I play games in the mornings to help keep my mind exercised - picture puzzles, Fitz, and the hardest solitaire game on windows 10. Arthritis makes walking a challenge and I fall easily. I know they are working on developments, but at this point (age) 74, do I want to spend my money on doctor bills for that problem? It's expensive enough when we get old just to manage pain. Decisions, decisions.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 02:27:59 AM »

I play games in the mornings to help keep my mind exercised - picture puzzles, Fitz, and the hardest solitaire game on windows 10. Arthritis makes walking a challenge and I fall easily. I know they are working on developments, but at this point (age) 74, do I want to spend my money on doctor bills for that problem? It's expensive enough when we get old just to manage pain. Decisions, decisions.
Yes, it's easy to run up a pretty big bill--but it might be worth it. Not only are there different types of Alzheimer's, but there are other potential causes of memory loss, some of which are easily treatable.

I thought my dad was in the early stage of Alzheimer's, but he turned out not to be. The problem in his case was that he had lung issues and wasn't getting enough oxygen. With proper supplemental oxygen, what I thought were Alzheimer's symptoms disappeared within a week.

Even things as simple as stress or irregular sleep patterns can contribute to memory loss. Because stress can be a contributing factor, worrying too much about having Alzheimer's can actually make it seem more like you do. (Self-fulfilling prophecy.) One of my friends was in a highly stressful situation and appeared to be in the first stages of some kind of dementia. When the stress was reduced, the symptoms vanished.

I think the diagnosis of Alzheimer's is still a diagnosis of exclusion. Since the only way to be sure is to dissect your brain, doctors have to rule out other things it could be through testing. However, sometimes people get lucky, and the cause is discovered without having to go through a huge number of tests.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:32:09 AM »
I'm just hoping to live long enough to reach the point where they will have either developed nanobots that will spread throughout our bodies fixing things, or developed treatments to reverse aging or developed a way for us to download our consciousness into a computer or possibly an android body.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:20:44 AM »
I'm just hoping to live long enough to reach the point where they will have either developed nanobots that will spread throughout our bodies fixing things, or developed treatments to reverse aging or developed a way for us to download our consciousness into a computer or possibly an android body.

I like the way you think!  :goodpost:

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

VanessaC

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 07:18:57 PM »
Sorry you're going through this. As others have said, might be worth getting tested to know for sure.

And, yeah, nanobots sound awesome!

Genre: Fantasy

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
Marti I'm also sorry you are going through this.  I don't want to pile on but I would at least mention it to your doctor the next time you go.  You can ask them the costs before you submit to the tests.  There are also foundations that pay for medication (for chemo for example) if people can't afford it.  I can't say for sure that there is any for Alzheimer's medication, or testing, but there might be.

I do puzzles too.  I was having some memory problems (figured out it's probably hormonal) and started doing them.  Now I'm hooked.  Savers has a great selection of puzzles and fantastic prices, if there is a Savers near you.  Also I eat brazil nuts.  They are supposed to help.  I kind of doubt it, but they are delicious.

I saw something that was supposed to help speed up cell renewal, made a mental not to look it up later and promptly forgot what it was.  Remembered a couple of months later.  Fasting.  It had to be fasting.  Couldn't be wine or chocolate could it?  Anyway, I did some minor research and all I found was one study on mice and a whole lot of click bait.  So I'm holding out hope for the wine and chocolate.

Take care,
Amanda

Marti Talbott

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 12:11:58 AM »
This is where I do picture puzzles and it's free. https://www.jigsawplanet.com/

The following users thanked this post: PaulineMRoss, DrewMcGunn, RPatton

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 02:47:55 AM »
This is where I do picture puzzles and it's free. https://www.jigsawplanet.com/

Ooh, thank you! I love me an online jigsaw but I didn't know about this site. :tup3b

Writing epic fantasy as Pauline M Ross; writing Regency romance as Mary Kingswood
Bookbub score: 16 for 93

LilyBLily

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 04:23:09 AM »
I have the same expectations for my old age. I got tested and was told I was fine, but I know my memory isn’t what it was. The doctors don’t know much and can do even less for real-deal dementia. So I write stuff down, which helps for now. Eventually, it won’t. Attempting to understand Facebook ads is probably building neurons; all the pivoting we do to try to sell our books probably helps, too. There’s almost nothing rote in being an indie.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott, Ghost5

thekathyc

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »
One of my sisters has late stage Alzheimer's. It's too late for her, but there are medications to slow down the advancement of the disease. It's very important to be tested so it can be caught early enough for the medication to work. She inherited the disease and dementia from her father (we are half-sisters).

I've been fuzzy brained for awhile thanks to medication. My cardiologist recently changed one, and BAM, my brain woke up. I'm only now aware of how sluggish it had been.

Good luck to you, Marti! I hope you reach a BAM moment, too!
Genres: Women's Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Chick Lit, Romantic Comedy, Western Romance, Small Town Romance, Cozy Mystery, Regency Romance

Signature Tool alpha test

Marti Talbott

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 05:34:26 AM »
One of my sisters has late stage Alzheimer's. It's too late for her, but there are medications to slow down the advancement of the disease. It's very important to be tested so it can be caught early enough for the medication to work. She inherited the disease and dementia from her father (we are half-sisters).

I've been fuzzy brained for awhile thanks to medication. My cardiologist recently changed one, and BAM, my brain woke up. I'm only now aware of how sluggish it had been.

I'm on heart medication too. Do you remember the name of the drug your doctor took you off of? I'm on five at night and two in the morning.

thekathyc

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 05:36:00 AM »
Marti:

He switched me from Atorvastatin to Crestor. I think it's a slightly different type of statin drug and doesn't cross the brain barrier in the same way.

Hope this helps!
Genres: Women's Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Chick Lit, Romantic Comedy, Western Romance, Small Town Romance, Cozy Mystery, Regency Romance

Signature Tool alpha test

LilyBLily

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 06:08:44 AM »
AFAIK docs can’t be bothered with meds for prophylactic purposes. They wait until it’s too late and prescribe things to slow it down. Which sometimes work and sometimes don’t. Am I unhappy about this? Yes. They also wait until patients are brought in by concerned relatives when it really is too late.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »
AFAIK docs can’t be bothered with meds for prophylactic purposes. They wait until it’s too late and prescribe things to slow it down. Which sometimes work and sometimes don’t. Am I unhappy about this? Yes. They also wait until patients are brought in by concerned relatives when it really is too late.

I agree, I went through this with my mom and grandmother. It's not fun. My daughter is a caregiver in a nursing home, so she's keeping track of my progress. One of her patients is only 45. They're working on help for us, they say. Probably can't ever reverse it, but they might be able to prevent it.

Everyone should be told that saying,"remember?" to someone who can't, is cruel.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:54 AM »
Marti, I'm sorry to hear you suspect Alzheimer's.  I hope it's not the case, but if it is, then I hope you find a successful way to treat it or slow it.  I wish you all the best.   :hug:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »

I'm on heart medication too. Do you remember the name of the drug your doctor took you off of? I'm on five at night and two in the morning.

I don't know the name of the drug but last year my FIL increased the cholesterol med he was taking and things got bad in a hurry.  As soon as they straightened the medication out his brain function improved dramatically.  Good luck Marti, I hope you find an easy answer soon.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:05:18 PM by notthatamanda »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 03:08:42 AM »

Marti Talbott

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 03:20:55 AM »
Just saw this today:

"Meditation can help prevent Alzheimer’s disease: study"

Wow, very helpful. I don't know anything about that, but I'll look into it. Thanks, Dan!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 04:50:31 AM »
Just saw this today:

"Meditation can help prevent Alzheimer’s disease: study"

Wow, very helpful. I don't know anything about that, but I'll look into it. Thanks, Dan!

Also read the source study they link to which is a bit less optimistic than the Post's headline but still shows some promise in, if nothing else, slowing down progress of Alzheimer's.

Vijaya

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 05:29:44 AM »
Marti, I'm sorry about the memory problems but don't be too quick to suspect Alzheimer's. There are so many factors and lots of times it's something as simple as removing some stress or getting enough good sleep. My husband's health has improved dramatically after he got a CPAP machine (it's a positive pressure machine to correct sleep apnea). For years he was sleep deprived and I finally nagged him enough to go through the hoops to get the machine and it's been so worth it. Even if he goes on an overnight trip, he packs it.

My memory isn't like it used to be either, so I understand that worry, but our creative pursuits should keep our brains active and sharp. Take care, Marti. I'll be praying for us all. Interestingly, our pastor was telling us how when he's visiting the elderly who've lost all their memories, they still remember how to say Hail Mary...

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

She-la-te-da

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
Marti, it's worth discussing with your doctor. Push to make him/her listen. Sometimes you just need a change with your meds, and that is easy enough to do.

I have an aunt who is getting bad. I don't think it's Alzheimer's, but rather ordinary senile dementia. On of my father's sisters also had that. They both are in their 80s (I think maternal aunt is 86 and paternal is almost 90. Most everyone in both sides of my family tend to die with their minds still going strong, in their mid to late 80s. I'm hoping I can do the same. I know I have to be strict on carbs, or my brain goes mushy. I have CRAFT (can't remember a f*cking thing) on carbs.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

WasAnn

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
Marti - I know you posted a bit back, but I'm going to echo the others in the possibly-not-alz department. I'm young-ish, at 52, but despite being active, my genetic lottery for high blood pressure made me need medication.

Since I'm on nothing else, it was easy for me to see the difference was caused by the meds. I went from plotting books in my head and still doing fluid physics for fun to laying on the couch and not remembering if I'd taken a shower! I got a different med and boom, back to normal in five days.

Turns out, loads of people are impacted this way, but not as severely. My dad is on several meds and it turned out three of them were on the list of meds that can mimic dementia. The more you take that are on the list, the more likely it will happen.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/could-medications-contribute-to-dementia-2018052313872

Here's a more reader-friendly article from the WaPo:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/in-older-adults-some-drugs-may-produce-symptoms-that-imitate-dementia/2019/07/26/f192827c-ad5c-11e9-bc5c-e73b603e7f38_story.html

The fact is, a simple allergy pill can actually cause this in older adults because of the way meds are processed in the body. That slightly muddy feeling caused by the same pill when young can actually turn into months of mimicked progressive dementia and memory problems in a senior.

It's worth checking out. Definitely ask your doctor during your next regular visit and insist they check to be sure you're not being medicated into memory problems.

Science Fiction is my game.

Vijaya

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »
WasAnn, thanks for those links. I've also observed brain fog with a couple of my preventative meds for migraine. I will NOT take the anti-seizure drug Topamax--I literally lost words.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Ghost5

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
WasAnn, thanks for those links. I've also observed brain fog with a couple of my preventative meds for migraine. I will NOT take the anti-seizure drug Topamax--I literally lost words.

I had the same experience.  :icon_cry:

idontknowyet

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »
This is going to sound strange but have you checked your hearing recently? They find even slightly diminished hearing can cause similar symptoms.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
This is going to sound strange but have you checked your hearing recently? They find even slightly diminished hearing can cause similar symptoms.

Good point. I've been thinking a lot about possibly being over-medicated. I take a blood pressure pill in the morning and one again at night. The Cardio Doc. said it was the highest allowed. So, I stopped taking the one in the morning two mornings in a row, to see if I felt better. I did and have been able to work on my WIP for two days. I still can't always remember the names of my characters, however. Grin

This morning I took one, and sure enough, my blood pressure reading is 98/64. Sheesh! No wonder I'm so tired by the middle of the day.

edited to say, wait that wasn't a good reading. Permission to ignore me
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:27:05 AM by Marti Talbott »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:59 AM »

Good point. I've been thinking a lot about possibly being over-medicated. I take a blood pressure pill in the morning and one again at night. The Cardio Doc. said it was the highest allowed. So, I stopped taking the one in the morning two mornings in a row, to see if I felt better. I did and have been able to work on my WIP for two days. I still can't always remember the names of my characters, however. Grin

This morning I took one, and sure enough, my blood pressure reading is 98/64. Sheesh! No wonder I'm so tired by the middle of the day.

edited to say, wait that wasn't a good reading. Permission to ignore me

I'm on three BP pills a day. The original one (10mg x2) was prescribed for essential tremors. When I went into the hospital last year with the flu, they doubled the dose because I developed high blood pressure. A couple of months later, I knew it wasn't working because two hours after the first pill, my BP was up in the 140s/150s. Doc prescribed another pill but said if my BP was low, to cut in in half. I take my BP at noon, four hours after the original pill, and today it was 100/60. No pill.

I'm telling you this because BP seems to be pretty hard to control consistently. That's why I monitor it at about the same time every day and adjust that second prescription accordingly. Your doctor isn't with you 24/7. He has to rely on you taking your pressure regularly and keeping a diary.

Now, if I was only this conscientious with monitoring my blood sugar. <sigh>

LilyBLily

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2019, 11:12:41 AM »
Unless your doctor has told you it's okay to experiment with skipping scheduled meds, it's not a good idea to do so.

OTOH, I suspect that doctors know well that their patients often do skip their meds, and so the doctors prescribe the legal (and toxic) limit in the hope that the patients will at least take some of them. Which accounts for some of the dire effects; people are being overdosed.

Be careful.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Unless your doctor has told you it's okay to experiment with skipping scheduled meds, it's not a good idea to do so.

OTOH, I suspect that doctors know well that their patients often do skip their meds, and so the doctors prescribe the legal (and toxic) limit in the hope that the patients will at least take some of them. Which accounts for some of the dire effects; people are being overdosed.

Be careful.

It's okay. My doctor is very practical and she did advise me on how to take the meds. She knows that sometimes I'll only be taking a half a pill or none depending on my pressure. Otherwise, I rarely miss a dose of my meds. I have a good reminder system in place.

She also knows and approves my taking natural remedies for some things especially when I have bad reactions to traditional meds.