Author Topic: On a Christmas Card I just saw  (Read 1252 times)

JRTomlin

On a Christmas Card I just saw
« on: December 14, 2020, 06:13:10 AM »
I'm staying up on New Year's Eve not to celebrate the new year but to make sure that this one leaves.

🤣 I so agree with that sentiment.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya, W.R. Gingell, Maggie Ann, djmills, Hopscotch

Hopscotch

Re: On a Christmas Card I just saw
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
I'll add a jillion of this - :clap:
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Vidya

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
How are the above two posts political? Unless someone made a political post that got deleted before I saw it.

JRTomlin

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »
No clue, Vidya. That 2020 was the year from hell all over the world is somehow political?

Vidya

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
Oh, I just reread the first post. Luke, are you saying the leaving is a reference to Trump?

I guess i'm slow; I didn't immediately get that. And if I had got that, I would not have thanked the post since yes, we're not supposed to post anything political.

But it could still be read as simply honest heartfelt relief that 2020 is nearly over.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
Oops my mistake. I thought it referred to a certain Christmas card meme briefly circulated on twitter. I'll pull the post
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

JRTomlin

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 03:06:07 PM »
Trump is not leaving office on January 1 and the post had nothing at all to do with him. If there is a related meme, I hadn't seen it. I was actually talking about a Christmas card (an actual one on sale) and the simple fact that this was The. Year. From. Hell.

ETA: I am on Twitter a fair amount but I don't think anyone can follow all the memes and since many of them on both sides are pretty lame, I don't even bother to try. So sorry if I pushed a button, Luke. It was not deliberate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:10:05 PM by JRTomlin »

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
Not on a Christmas card (if it was I'd buy and send it - a lot of my friends would appreciate the sentiment), but I recently saw this quote from a Theo Blackmore: "I'm giving up drinking till Christmas. Sorry, wrong punctuation. I'm giving up. Drinking till Christmas".

Lol, love it.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 09:57:00 PM »
We usually do a list of highlights from our year, kids' accomplishments etc. This year I put "Goodbye 2020, don't let the door hit you on the way out." That was way nicer and more PG than what I felt like saying.

I don't know how well received it will be, I've had one email from a friend telling me she loved the snarky card.

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »
I recall a similar sentiment being expressed the year Carrie Fisher and her lovely mom Debbie Reynolds died. Like, could this year please just be over, the sooner the better?

We aren't sending holiday cards anymore. I used to be so good about that and then I just stopped. I'm not sure why. I have a stuffed stationery drawer and I'll never use up all of what I have.