Author Topic: Secrets? What secrets? And other explanations.  (Read 5200 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Secrets? What secrets? And other explanations.
« on: October 05, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
It's interesting what gets posted elsewhere. But they do raise a few points worth addressing.

Do we have secret areas?

No. But also yes. It's all relative.

If you're a guest looking in the window, you're seeing about 35% of the forum. Why? Because author business is private, and only general chat is public.

What a guest sees is what Google sees. One of the biggest problems with KB was EVERYTHING ended up in Google. Including all our intellectual property discussed in craft threads, book ads, and helping threads. This is not a good thing, and I didn't even have to think about acting to protect us. So 65% of the forum is member only. But as long as your email address is real and isn't spam-blocked, you get immediate access when you register. What you share in your profile is up to you.

What a member sees is about 90% of the forum. The moderators have their own area. The small team working on how to do the feature requests have their own area. The rest are opt-in areas.

The purpose of the opt-in areas is remove from the unread posts list, and area lists, threads which a majority of people don't want to see. Such as erotica, arguments, scammer talk, moderated posts removed from the threads, and anything of a nature people dont like to see. But the opt-in process is easy, if you read the instructions in About the Forum. There is a reason for pointing people there in the forum graphic. Those who dont read there first, miss out on how to do things. And these are not new features. The forum is bog standard, with a few tweaks, much less modified than KB is, but KB never used a lot of the standard features. I am.

So to get into the Erotica area, the forum News area (where scammers and trademarks and stuff are discussed), the prison area for darker stuff, and the zombie posts area, you need to want to see them. The assumption is, you dont want to see them, and that's why it's called opt-in. You won't see them unless you choose to. The list and instructions are in About the Forum. The options are under Membergroups in your profile.

Who owns the forum?

I do. Personally. Like Harvey did on KB.

Why? Because people started asking for an alternative to KB, on KB, and I started a FB group to discuss how to do it. No-one stepped up to actually do it. I had the skill set to create it, I had somewhere it could be created, and so I created it. This is the result. I had to move the forum because it became so active so fast, my original host couldn't cope. I didn't see that coming.

There was a lot of talk on KB about the community taking ownership of what we had on KB, along the lines of creating a community run forum. Lots of talk, no action. This forum is NOT a result of any of that talk. No-one went out and formed a community management group, and then set up a forum which addressed the issues of ToS. No-one is stopping anyone from doing so, and anyone who wants this, is free to go do it. I cant see management by committee working, but prove me wrong.

Talking about ToS.... what you see on the registration page is it. It's not anywhere else. No obscure links to find something totally different. The ToS was discussed on FB and here at the beginning, and something acceptable to authors was adopted. Still don't like it? Talk to me.

The forum is about as GDPR compliant as the tools allow. You can download a copy of your posts. You can delete your username and leave, and the forum will rename your posts (Guest and a number by the look of it), and remove your IP information. You can delete your posts and threads, and lock your own threads.

The cost of running the forum is insignificant at this point. While moving to a better host and faster server tripled what I'm paying for hosting, it is still pocket change in relation to what I make from book sales at the moment. There is no need for sharing costs, or donations. No need for google ads, and there will never ever be google ads here. Service providers want a way to advertise here, and this might be possible. But not as a revenue making thing.

Don't like the idea of one person owning the forum? It's no different to KB, before the sale. Don't like me owning it? Feel free to start your own, or go to one of the others. It's not a popularity contest, its about a safe place to be an author on the net. Plenty of choices, and here is just one of them.

What are my expectations?

I dont really have any. I built WS because I could. It's here, use it or don't use it.

The moderation policy is mainly mine, but was also built from early discussion. I want a place where the moderation is so subtle, most people dont see it happening. To that end, opt-in areas where moderated stuff can go, where most people wont see it because they dont want to. We've had our first spammer bots, and seem to be keeping them outside at the moment. We've had our first drive by troll, and our first zombie posts. The mods are still learning to use the tools, but we're getting there. The mods are volunteers, and do not include anyone modding at KB. The philosophy is, mods shall be seen and not heard.

Where is the forum going? That's pretty much up to you.

If you have a problem, talk to me.
Want a change? Ask for it.
See something you dont like, report it.
See something in the wrong place, report it.

Nothing here is set in stone. The object was to separate out the craft and marketing from the chat, and allow genre groups to discuss things separately. The object was to protect our privacy, protect our intellectual property, and provide a safe place to post, without editing by mods, and without rules coming from a place of fear. By removing much of the discussion from the public arena, the KB rules become unnecessary.

While KB became the go to place for authors, it was built for kindle users and readers. Being an author there was always an add-on to the true purpose of KB, and none of the calls to expand the author area were ever adopted. I built this place for authors, out of what I saw as not working properly there.

Where WS goes in the future, we'll just have to see.

Bottom line is, if you have a problem, talk to me. I cant fix what I dont know about. Everyone is free to go somewhere else and winge, but if it could have been discussed and addressed, I see it as a lost opportunity to improve.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Max

Re: Secrets? What secrets? And other explanations.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
I like this place a lot. I'm thankful you took the bull by the horns. Someone had to. You stepped up. Like I said, thankful.
I pray/ask for one thing, Timothy. Please have a contingency plan in case something happens to you so that your vision isn't lost as Harvey's was. Because you never know. God willing, nothing does.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Ace Fletcher, KaDe, LydiaLikely

katc

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
I agree with Max. I like it here, too. Your post is a good one. Clear, to the point and completely understood. I appreciate all the hard work that has been put into WS. Thank you for everything.  :smilie_zauber:

guest215

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
I definitely prefer a member of the community owning over a profiteering conglomerate owning it. One has a vested interest in the venue, the other is just milking a cow until they turn it into dog food.

Vijaya

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:58:16 PM »
Tim, thank you for doing all this. I see this as all of us gathering in your house. Your house. Your rules. And they're good.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Ace Fletcher

Ghost5

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:45:52 AM »
I love it here. I've already posted more than I ever did at KB, because I like the layout and the vibe. Speaking of layout, I'm super thrilled with the sub-forum setup. I save tons of time. I come on, check out the areas and posts I'm interested in, and get back to writing. Thank you for setting this up and inviting us all to join.

:yourock:

Plus, there's the black cat.

:catrun

The following users thanked this post: Ace Fletcher

Oscar Luster

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 05:32:51 AM »
Along with the general agreement, I will say that it is good to be in on the ground floor of a good forum. I was a member of KB for many years, but missed the very beginning by a little bit.

Liking what I see here, although I still have not had a lot of time to spend exploring.

Laughing Elephant

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 05:53:16 AM »
I like this place so much, I'm moving in  :thumb18:

:ws

EllieL

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
(shrugs) I didn't think an explanation was necessary, but I appreciate it, just the same.  I'm happy here. Lots to see if I want to, stuff I can ignore if I choose to. It's all good.
 :clap:
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

The following users thanked this post: RappaDizzy

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
I'm gathering something was posted "elsewhere." That's unfortunate. But then, it always has been easier to criticize something than it is to run it yourself.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Max

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
I'm gathering something was posted "elsewhere." That's unfortunate. But then, it always has been easier to criticize something than it is to run it yourself.

Ain't that a fact!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
Quote from an old movie:

"I'm called Lurkalot. Because I do!"

:hehe
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Tonyonline

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »
Yep, agree with all the above posts...so Tim, just to add, thanks for setting this up, it's appreciated  :tup3b

RappaDizzy

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to set this forum up. It’s been great already :ws