Author Topic: Re-publishing under different pen name  (Read 1967 times)

Doglover

Re-publishing under different pen name
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
So, here's the question: I write mostly historical fiction/romance, but early on I published one book that fits into the psychological thriller/mystery category. It sold well to start with and has some good reviews, but since it is different from anything else I write, it no longer gets a look in.

I am writing some books in the same genre now under a different name and am wanting to republish that first one under the new pen name. I am planning on making it really cheap as a boost for the new one. It's a pity to lose the reviews, but my question is, should I mention that it has been previously published under my usual name? For the sake of readers who might have already read it?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Re-publishing under different pen name
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
Any reason you cant just change the author name in KDP, and do a new cover with the changed name, and just slide it in when you're ready?

Those who already have it will likely never notice, as KDP wont push an update for something that small. And those who don't have it will never know it was out under a different author name, unless you slide it as they are looking at it.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Sailor Stone

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
Any reason you cant just change the author name in KDP, and do a new cover with the changed name, and just slide it in when you're ready?

Those who already have it will likely never notice, as KDP wont push an update for something that small. And those who don't have it will never know it was out under a different author name, unless you slide it as they are looking at it.

I did this. It worked as Tim says and I saved my reviews.

Doglover

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:48:47 PM »
Not  something I'd thought of. I thought of having it in the new releases, but is that more important than keeping the reviews? And, I think one of the reviews mentions me by name.

Sailor Stone

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »
Not  something I'd thought of. I thought of having it in the new releases, but is that more important than keeping the reviews? And, I think one of the reviews mentions me by name.
I don't thing people reading reviews are going to notice if your old name is in the review. They see all kinds of odd things in reviews on Amazon as it is. I think that if you have good reviews you should treat them like gold. I find reviews (on Amazon at least) to be harder and harder to come by with each passing year.

The following users thanked this post: Doglover

She-la-te-da

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
You can put a bit in about it being "previously published as" or "previously published by". If you just update the author name, the reviews will stay, and I believe Amazon will actually move reviews if you ask, and explain what you did.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 10:28:14 AM »
Change the name and title on the old ASIN, unpublish, then publish a new edition and ask Amazon to link it to the previous one to keep the reviews. That is, if you're doing a new launch and want to get any eyes on it / sell copies. An old ASIN with a new author name won't get anything.

Chris Fox has a good book about relaunching titles, though I basically just gave you the gist of it.

I've written over 50 books, and I did the relaunch thing on 4 of them, for various reasons and it went well. I probably won't do it again now, these days, because I've learned so much and generally have things as good as they can be the first time around.

It's not against TOS to reboot something for good reason. Amazon obviously doesn't want you relaunching the same content every 30 days, of course, but don't be worried about giving something a second chance at an audience.

I've also released second editions with 30% more content a couple times, but that is more work.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:30:27 AM by angelapepper »

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Sailor Stone