Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308772 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #950 on: August 28, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
2450 words today, pushed me over 60K.

Another milestone!

670 words today!  Finally, back in the story.

Even better news, this is the last book in the series!!!  I will miss the characters but excited to move on to a new adventure.  :smilie_zauber:

Know the feeling. You'll get to know the new characters and then they'll be your friends just like the ones you're saying goodbye to now.

Wasn't sure if I was going to continue last night's scene or start a new one, but I decided if I needed a break, my readers would need a break. I did go back to that scene eventually and ended up with 1619 words and the story is at 227 pages.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:44:29 AM by Maggie Ann »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #951 on: August 29, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »
Wrote 1,568 words tonight for a total of 55.6K and 234 pages. I'm getting pretty close to the end and I composed a last, short scene in my head for the ending. I may even finish tomorrow night, but if not, I'll hopefully finish Friday.

Getting ready for Hurricane Dorian.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #952 on: August 29, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »
1086 so far.  :tap

ETA: Ended up with 1440 for the day.  On to the next chapter!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:19:01 PM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #953 on: August 29, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
Wrote 1,568 words tonight for a total of 55.6K and 234 pages. I'm getting pretty close to the end and I composed a last, short scene in my head for the ending. I may even finish tomorrow night, but if not, I'll hopefully finish Friday.

Hurricane?  Yikes!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

diisha392

« Reply #954 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »

Stay safe

126 words tonight. Low numbers but better than 0.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #955 on: August 29, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

Take care.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #956 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
Thanks, guys. The Cone of Warning shows it hitting us dead on at a Cat 3. But I've lived here long enough to know those things can change course in a heartbeat. I'm getting prepared, but not too worried.

The best thing is my AlphaSmart runs on AA batteries and I can just keep on writing.   :banana:

Mammasan

« Reply #957 on: August 29, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »

Wouldn'tcha know it, I'm going away for the weekend with the return trip scheduled to land in Orlando --at the same time as Dorian.  :HB

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #958 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:20 PM »
Wrote nearly seven hundred words worth of a synopsis for a book I might write after Wheel of Fire is concluded.  I've had an idea for a trilogy rolling around in my head for a while, but the plot points hadn't come to me yet.  Well, now they have, or at least some of them have, so I had to get it all down while it was all fresh.

Still working on outlines for books five, six, and seven of the current series.  Once that's done, or once I feel like I've done as much as I can for now, I'll start the second draft of book four.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #959 on: August 29, 2019, 10:06:08 PM »

Wouldn'tcha know it, I'm going away for the weekend with the return trip scheduled to land in Orlando --at the same time as Dorian.  :HB

Yup, looks like Orlando is going to be right in the path. Even if it goes a bit further south, Orlando will be on the side with the heaviest thunderstorms.

At least I'll get to try out my new accordion shutters.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #960 on: August 30, 2019, 12:43:59 AM »
So they finally named a hurricane after a literary figure?  ;)

Stay safe for those in its path.  Tornadoes are bad enough; can't imagine having to go through a hurricane.

Wrote 375 words on Tuesday and 115 yesterday.  Really need to decide what happens next so I can pick up the pace.  LOL.  I know the main characters need to get to A and B and I don't remember if they were going to get to A first then B or vice versa or if it really matters.  And then, of course, there is C which is the climax.  Or maybe D is the climax because there is another scene which needs to take place first and would work better before A (or is it B?) but then that begs the question of getting the main characters to that scene in a natural way.

I did conclude a subplot with another character, but the end result wasn't what that character had hoped for and is now running low on trustworthy-ish allies.

About 73k words in and still a long way to go.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #961 on: August 30, 2019, 04:01:11 AM »
So they finally named a hurricane after a literary figure?  ;)

Stay safe for those in its path.  Tornadoes are bad enough; can't imagine having to go through a hurricane.

That was exactly my thought, but I also thought they could have picked someone better. At least they didn't pick Dracula.

They now expect Dorian to be a Cat 4. Unless there's a miracle, I don't see how we can escape this.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #962 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
Too pooped to write. In line to fill the gas cans for half an hour. In line at McD's drive through for forty minutes. After that, I didn't feel like writing, but my phone alarm made me sit down and do it.

I'm not going to post my word count because I kept falling asleep while writing it. Since I have very little idea what I wrote, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to either fix it up, throw it out, or finish it.

Lynn

« Reply #963 on: August 30, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Too pooped to write. In line to fill the gas cans for half an hour. In line at McD's drive through for forty minutes. After that, I didn't feel like writing, but my phone alarm made me sit down and do it.

I'm not going to post my word count because I kept falling asleep while writing it. Since I have very little idea what I wrote, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to either fix it up, throw it out, or finish it.
Good luck and stay safe! And the fact that you wrote anything in light of what's coming and all the prep is awesome.
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #964 on: August 30, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »

Good luck and stay safe! And the fact that you wrote anything in light of what's coming and all the prep is awesome.

Still prepping. I forgot to get cash and I need to pop a few things into my safe deposit box. Forgot to get pads for my poor  :dog1: who won't be able to go outside for probably a day or two. So, still running around.

Writing at least gives me a break from prepping.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #965 on: August 31, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »
Hat trick achieved!  Wrote 105 words yesterday.

Still prepping. I forgot to get cash and I need to pop a few things into my safe deposit box. Forgot to get pads for my poor  :dog1: who won't be able to go outside for probably a day or two. So, still running around.

Has your dog used the pads before?  I know from experience that, even when they are used to using them, sometimes they think they just need to have their paws on the pad and it counts.  (It doesn't, especially when their front two paws are on the pad and, well, the waste expulsion orifice(s) is well off the pad.)

Stay safe!
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #966 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:25 AM »
Hat trick achieved!  Wrote 105 words yesterday.

Has your dog used the pads before?  I know from experience that, even when they are used to using them, sometimes they think they just need to have their paws on the pad and it counts.  (It doesn't, especially when their front two paws are on the pad and, well, the waste expulsion orifice(s) is well off the pad.)

Stay safe!

I was concerned he wouldn't use the pads myself. While I was in Target, a woman was buying a blue plastic kiddie pool. The clerk told me the idea is to put sod in the pool. I've got the perfect thing for it. A rectangular planter with a grid halfway up. I can put the pads under the grid and the sod on top. When I need to change the pads, we'll just have to lift the grid and put down fresh pads. Sounds good when I say it. Now I'll wait to see if it works. If it doesn't, thank goodness for tile floors.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #967 on: August 31, 2019, 02:19:32 AM »
I was concerned he wouldn't use the pads myself. While I was in Target, a woman was buying a blue plastic kiddie pool. The clerk told me the idea is to put sod in the pool. I've got the perfect thing for it. A rectangular planter with a grid halfway up. I can put the pads under the grid and the sod on top. When I need to change the pads, we'll just have to lift the grid and put down fresh pads. Sounds good when I say it. Now I'll wait to see if it works. If it doesn't, thank goodness for tile floors.

Yep, wood is no match for doggie waste, no matter how much you wax them.  The floor, not the dog.

There are also astroturf doggie waste collection devices.  It's a large sheet of astroturf on top of a plastic platform maybe an inch or so high, as I recall.  The astroturf has holes in it so liquid waste goes through and collects in the bottom.  I don't remember if you put a pad on the bottom or just spill it out.  Solid waste you just pick up.  Then, the whole thing can be sprayed with a hose or washed in a large laundry tub or whatever when it needs cleaning.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #968 on: August 31, 2019, 03:01:33 AM »

Yep, wood is no match for doggie waste, no matter how much you wax them.  The floor, not the dog.

There are also astroturf doggie waste collection devices.  It's a large sheet of astroturf on top of a plastic platform maybe an inch or so high, as I recall.  The astroturf has holes in it so liquid waste goes through and collects in the bottom.  I don't remember if you put a pad on the bottom or just spill it out.  Solid waste you just pick up.  Then, the whole thing can be sprayed with a hose or washed in a large laundry tub or whatever when it needs cleaning.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about them. Well, I'll have my own little version of that. Right now, I just keep my orchid pots in the planter so they get good drainage. Got a dozen of those to bring in plus assorted other plants. Hope we have enough time. My house is going to be a jungle. At least this time, I don't have a rock garden to bring in.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #969 on: August 31, 2019, 03:40:58 AM »
At least this time, I don't have a rock garden to bring in.

Did you already move that in?  ;)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #970 on: August 31, 2019, 03:49:50 AM »
At least this time, I don't have a rock garden to bring in.

Did you already move that in?  ;)

No rocks this time. I learned my lesson. Now I only have bricks!  :roll:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #971 on: August 31, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
I edited last night's wordage. Not as bad as I feared. Just some very creative spelling. Then I added on to it for a total of 1518 words.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #972 on: August 31, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
A little over 200 words today although some of them replaced words written yesterday.
Also edited a piece that is right about 5K.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #973 on: September 02, 2019, 04:19:54 AM »
Wrote 185 words on Friday and 545 words on Saturday.  Only managed 8,509 words for the month of August which is a daily average of 274.48 words.  Quite a drop from July where I averaged 865.32 words per day or June where I averaged 1,613.5 words per day.

Also, couldn't have pizza last night because someone decided to create their own drive-thru.  No one was hurt but the place will be closed for a while.

spin52

« Reply #974 on: September 02, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
I hope no one sustains too much damage from the hurricane. On a similar note but much smaller scale, I have had three grandchildren (6, 4 and 1) here for the weekend, so the interior of the house looks as if it's been hit by a small hurricane. I still managed to get about 750 words written tonight after they went home. Whew.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #975 on: September 02, 2019, 06:13:40 AM »
I hope no one sustains too much damage from the hurricane. On a similar note but much smaller scale, I have had three grandchildren (6, 4 and 1) here for the weekend, so the interior of the house looks as if it's been hit by a small hurricane. I still managed to get about 750 words written tonight after they went home. Whew.

I think I'd take Dorian over three little ones, much as I adore the grandkids.

diisha392

« Reply #976 on: September 02, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
Almost 600 words although starting to feel a little blocked for how to get to the next point...

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #977 on: September 02, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
I didn't get much writing done, but I did consolidate my pen name with my real name, changed the relevant covers, and made a new cover for my fairytale.  Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe week!  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #978 on: September 02, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
Not doing anything right now. I wrote myself into a corner two nights ago and I haven't got the brain power to write myself out. Once I get the last of my outside things into the garage and close the shutter over my front door, I'm going to relax with a cup of hot tea and a slice of banana bread and let the words flow.

:Healing:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #979 on: September 03, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Wrote 575 words yesterday.  Figured out why they are taking a side trip instead of just going directly to where they need to go; hopefully I'll remember the reason why when I resume writing as I fell asleep in the middle of the characters' conversation regarding why they are making the aforementioned side trip.

diisha392

« Reply #980 on: September 03, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
hopefully I'll remember the reason why when I resume writing as I fell asleep in the middle of the characters' conversation regarding why they are making the aforementioned side trip.

I feel this way when I come up with great ideas or dialogue while driving.

528 words today along with prepping lessons for tomorrow.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #981 on: September 03, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Wrote 575 words yesterday.  Figured out why they are taking a side trip instead of just going directly to where they need to go; hopefully I'll remember the reason why when I resume writing as I fell asleep in the middle of the characters' conversation regarding why they are making the aforementioned side trip.

Maybe they had to stop by Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.   :nerd:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #982 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »

Maybe they had to stop by Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.   :nerd:

Or fight off Gorignak for a Beryllium sphere.

Did some figuring out myself tonight. I realized I need a bit of a transition to get myself out of the corner. Not a whole 'nother scene. Just a way to get one of the MCs from A to B. And it worked. 803 words plus two more ... THE END

Just a tad over 58K. I will be editing starting tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #983 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Only 170 words written yesterday but at least I now remember the reason for the side trip; just have to work out the specifics.

Is it bad that I'm still not finished with this space opera (not to mention the lame space opera which I tabled for now) and I'm thinking about an gritty urban superhero story utilizing a side character from an as-yet-unreleased novel (currently in the hands of my beta reader)?  Had an idea for this story for a couple weeks or more and just occurred to me over the weekend I could write it utilizing a character I've already created.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #984 on: September 04, 2019, 01:48:39 AM »
While I'm waiting for something to happen outside (Dorian) and I can't do much inside (most of the outside is inside), I decided to edit. I won't go into the problems with my piece of crapola little laptop. Let's just say after a few hours, I got the filed opened from OneDrive and started to edit. Good words were starting to flow with one teeny-tiny little hitch. The space bar wouldn't work unless I paused for a second, then pressed hard. Can't get anything done that way.

So, I saved and closed intending to go back to my regular laptop (not as comfortable a working space) only to get a message that my edited file couldn't be uploaded to the server and as soon as the server was available, it would automatically be uploaded.

There goes my plan to while away the next couple of days editing. PIFFLE  :HB

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #985 on: September 04, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
The space bar wouldn't work unless I paused for a second, then pressed hard. Can't get anything done that way.

Seems to me I had a keyboard with a similar issue.  Might have been on a laptop.  No delay, but I had to hit the space bar hard to get it to register.  So, you'd type everything normally but have to remember to really whack your thumb on the space bar if you didn'twantyourwritingtolooklikethis.

Long before that, I had a keyboard with a broken key.  I don't remember what letter it was that was broken but, until I got a new keyboard, I got around the issue by copying the letter from a pre-existing document and then using the keyboard shortcut for "paste" whenever I needed to use that letter.  Did that for a couple months, as I recall, by which point I had gotten rather proficient at using that keyboard shortcut whenever that particular letter was required.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

notthatamanda

« Reply #986 on: September 04, 2019, 02:27:29 AM »
You can try blowing the keyboard with some compressed air, use a hair dryer with no heat, if you have nothing else.  The pause is weird, but needing to press the key hard may indicate some crud in there. 

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #987 on: September 04, 2019, 02:46:36 AM »
The space bar wouldn't work unless I paused for a second, then pressed hard. Can't get anything done that way.

Seems to me I had a keyboard with a similar issue.  Might have been on a laptop.  No delay, but I had to hit the space bar hard to get it to register.  So, you'd type everything normally but have to remember to really whack your thumb on the space bar if you didn'twantyourwritingtolooklikethis.

Long before that, I had a keyboard with a broken key.  I don't remember what letter it was that was broken but, until I got a new keyboard, I got around the issue by copying the letter from a pre-existing document and then using the keyboard shortcut for "paste" whenever I needed to use that letter.  Did that for a couple months, as I recall, by which point I had gotten rather proficient at using that keyboard shortcut whenever that particular letter was required.

That reminded me that I do have an extra keyboard I can link up.

You can try blowing the keyboard with some compressed air, use a hair dryer with no heat, if you have nothing else.  The pause is weird, but needing to press the key hard may indicate some crud in there. 

I'll try that first. I didn't think of using the hair dryer.

Thanks to both of you.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #988 on: September 04, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
Yikes, Maggie Ann, I hope you're safe from the hurricane (and you got that keyboard issue sorted out).

I finished the last of the work on my old house, so my move is all done except for the unpacking. Much as I want that to all be done with since I'm sick of staring at piles of boxes, we need to take it at a slower pace now because everyone is tired and sore. Hasn't helped my carpal tunnel, either. slowly getting back into a more normal routine but we mostly took off the three-day weekend to just recover.

Wrote 1062 words yesterday. Wrote 2008 words today. And somewhere over the weekend I wrote about 1700 words of a new project which was going to be a short story but will probably become a novel/series.

Also, my pirate cat mermaid story wasn't accepted into the anthology so I'll self-publish that one myself when I can find the time. Right after I figure out what kind of cover you put on a story about pirate cats and cat mermaids that doesn't look like a children's book.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #989 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
Yikes, Maggie Ann, I hope you're safe from the hurricane (and you got that keyboard issue sorted out).

I finished the last of the work on my old house, so my move is all done except for the unpacking. Much as I want that to all be done with since I'm sick of staring at piles of boxes, we need to take it at a slower pace now because everyone is tired and sore. Hasn't helped my carpal tunnel, either. slowly getting back into a more normal routine but we mostly took off the three-day weekend to just recover.

Wrote 1062 words yesterday. Wrote 2008 words today. And somewhere over the weekend I wrote about 1700 words of a new project which was going to be a short story but will probably become a novel/series.

Also, my pirate cat mermaid story wasn't accepted into the anthology so I'll self-publish that one myself when I can find the time. Right after I figure out what kind of cover you put on a story about pirate cats and cat mermaids that doesn't look like a children's book.

We're pretty much outside the worst of Dorian. So far, the wind and rain bands seem to be circling around us. Might get some wind and rain overnight, but nothing we can't handle. Just got an alert that the evacuation orders will be lifted at 6am. I'm not in an evacuation zone, but lifting those orders is a good sign.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #990 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:32 AM »
Wrote 250 words yesterday on the space opera and 25 words for the gritty urban superhero thing.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #991 on: September 05, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
That's good to hear, Maggie Ann.

Wrote 2638 words today. Really easy, too, despite being in pain (all that moving is still catching up to me). I can feel things falling into place for the end of the novel.

diisha392

« Reply #992 on: September 05, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »
Good job, everyone, on your words!  :clap:

I haven't gotten to any writing yet today but I have listened to several recordings by my Spanish III students talking about their daily activities :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #993 on: September 05, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
Up to page 50 in the editing and I've added about 500 words.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #994 on: September 06, 2019, 12:18:55 AM »
Wrote 300 words yesterday on the space opera and 300 words for the gritty urban superhero thing.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #995 on: September 06, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »
Edited another fifty pages tonight. I was hoping to start Book 2, but I fell behind on my editing this morning and had to finish tonight. My goal is 50 pages a day. Almost up to 59K words with the edits.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #996 on: September 07, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
My wrist was hurting too much to write yesterday so I rested for the day. (Carpal tunnel)

2402 words today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #997 on: September 07, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
Only edited ten pages today but I did write a few paragraphs here and there. I'd better catch up tomorrow.

Also decided to change the title of the book.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:58:56 AM by Maggie Ann »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #998 on: September 08, 2019, 06:44:03 AM »
Wrote 130 words Thursday and 160 words yesterday on the space opera and 103 words Thursday and 65 words yesterday for the gritty urban superhero thing.

Coming up with the villain was the holdup on the superhero one.  Wanted something that was cute to make villainous but all the good stuff has been done.  So, had to drop the "cute" part.  Went with something I don't think has been done (but probably has) and am going with that.

Also had to decide whether the villain was a man or a woman.  Either way, there will be complaints in this day and age.

diisha392

« Reply #999 on: September 08, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
111 words today.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:22:31 PM by diisha392 »