Author Topic: Amazon has restored embed codes for book previews  (Read 121 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Amazon has restored embed codes for book previews
« on: April 06, 2024, 11:47:28 PM »
Some time ago, Amazon provided code that allowed a book preview to be embedded in a website. It was sort of like the old Look Inside, but having it on your own site could be handy. It included a buy link and supported affiliate codes.

Amazon did away with it. I found a Gutenberg block that performed similarly in Wordpress, but that now seems to be functioning erratically.

Anyway, if you look at one of your product pages, you'll notice a share icon just to the right of your title. It has options for email, Pinterest, Facebook, and X, with the embed code just below that, followed by a link.

The embed code creates an iframe that allows a very nice preview of the book. It's actually better than the current "read sample"  routine on the product page, which quite often fails, at least in my experience.

When I get my site updated with those, I'll post a link so that you can take a look and see if such a feature would work for you.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

The following users thanked this post: R. C., alhawke

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Re: Amazon has restored embed codes for book previews
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 01:22:35 AM »
Confirmed, Bill's note about the share link worked for me.

R.C.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Amazon has restored embed codes for book previews
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 01:41:15 AM »
Here's a link to a preview to show you what it looks like without having to visit my site. https://a.co/4dD91h2

Note that the link opens a much larger view than the preview uses normally. On a website, the preview starts with a cover view and controls under it (buy, share, preview). Preview opens a smaller version of what you see from this link. (Default size is 336 × 550, so not quite so overwhelming.) Users can also select full screen if they want.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |