Author Topic: Best email service provider to use for marketing and newsletter?  (Read 1027 times)

Sailor Stone

I'm in the process of a redo (ground up - everything involved in marketing, publishing, and writing) and if I can find the time I am going to post here at the Writer's Sanctum about why I am doing this along with updates.
I have come to the first of many decisions I have to make and I'd love to hear from my writer-friends what email provider they use for their newsletters, promos, and day-to-day publishing work.
I have been using Outlook for several years but I've never liked it. I use Apple computers and I have never worked well with Microsoft products (Office 360) and I'm looking for an alternative.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

notthatamanda

Re: Best email service provider to use for marketing and newsletter?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 02:36:17 AM »
I'm going to follow this because I need to start from scratch too. Sorry I don't have any advice though.

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

writeway

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 04:58:03 AM »
Well, supposedly it's better to have a domain email address connected to your website. It is more professional and is better for mailing lists. But that being said, I use my Gmail address and many authors use a regular free email address. I am in the process of trying to get an email domain address but couldn't go through Weebly. Just too expensive and they only offer it through G Suite. I tried to set G Suite up but was confused as hell with the verification process so I am trying to get an email domain name for 2 dollars a month from my domain name host. I ran into an issue though and have to wait until tomorrow to get their help.

So, if you can I'd say use a domain email address especially if your website host offers them in your package. The free emails are fine for other stuff but supposedly you can run into deliverary issues with your newsletters with a free email address.

Sailor Stone

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »
Does anyone recommend an email service besides Outlook?

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:06:37 PM »
I haven't used Outlook in close to 20 years. I use Thunderbird, from Mozilla. It has very tight spam controls. (I've never yet found its spam folder.) From time to time, it either gets tighter and rejects my family's emails to me or it gets slightly looser for a bit and a few spam emails slip through. I've often wondered if that has anything to do with the spam controls of my web host, SiteGround.

I use my own domain names bought many years ago, long before my webmistress switched my website hosting to SiteGround. At one point I found a good intro deal from GoDaddy on domain name renewals. The next renewal offering wasn't good so I moved on to some other renewal offering. I suspect that's usually how it works. 

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:19:47 PM »
Google is still $9/year for basic domain name if anyone is comparison shopping.

Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »
I haven't used Outlook in close to 20 years. I use Thunderbird, from Mozilla. It has very tight spam controls. (I've never yet found its spam folder.) From time to time, it either gets tighter and rejects my family's emails to me or it gets slightly looser for a bit and a few spam emails slip through. I've often wondered if that has anything to do with the spam controls of my web host, SiteGround.

I use my own domain names bought many years ago, long before my webmistress switched my website hosting to SiteGround. At one point I found a good intro deal from GoDaddy on domain name renewals. The next renewal offering wasn't good so I moved on to some other renewal offering. I suspect that's usually how it works.

@LilyBLily Click on the account (email address) in the left hand panel. From there you can click "View Settings For This Account". Then "Junk Settings". It will show you options to loosen or tighten your spam filters. In addition, it will also show you where the junk folder is if you have one.

The mail you're not getting could also be getting caught by your domain/website hosting company. Log in directly to their email interface from a web browser and you may find junk mail that is caught there. Also, you might be able to change spam settings there. For example, white listing your family and friends.