Author Topic: What advice would you give to your younger "aspiring author" self?  (Read 2346 times)

Anarchist

Most of us have been doing this for years. We have plenty of experience and likely a few regrets.

Imagine you could travel back in time and advise your younger self who is about to start their "indie author" adventure. What advice would you give regarding craft, production, marketing, packaging, etc.?

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Jackie, angela, alyson

Eric Thomson

Re: What advice would you give to your younger "aspiring author" self?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 03:49:47 AM »
Give up and become an accountant -- which is exactly what I did back then  grint

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 04:01:46 AM »
Take that class in small engine repair.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, angela

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 04:07:28 AM »
Posts here are pointing to doing something other than being a writer. I go in the other direction... I should have started earlier. 

Waiting until I was in the second half of my lifespan was to deny myself the gift of doing what I enjoy.

Being good at writing is a tuned muscle, it gets better with time. Monetary success would be nice but secondary to a happy life.

Advice: Stop lamenting the "what if" and "go do."

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, idontknowyet, angela, alyson, Greg Dragon

idontknowyet

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 04:10:59 AM »
Start slower with lower expectations.
No matter how many times I remind myself this is a long game not a short one and that I am actively making what many would consider self inflicted mistakes, I still expect instantaneous results.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, angela, alyson

Eric Thomson

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 04:20:39 AM »
Posts here are pointing to doing something other than being a writer. I go in the other direction... I should have started earlier. 

In all fairness, I was only half joking. But, while I wrote five novels in my late twenties and shopped two of them around, KDP wasn't even in a glimmer in Bezos' eye, because Amazon didn't even exist back then. I only discovered KDP in 2014, when I was fifty-one years old, but the two novels I'd shopped around, and polished every year for almost twenty years, were instant successes. By then, I'd wrapped up a successful military career, become a Chartered Professional Accountant and was a senior IT executive. All that life experience and accrued knowledge helped make me a better writer and able to launch a successful writing and publishing career. I've more than made up time since then, with my 23rd novel published two weeks ago.

Lynn

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 04:21:16 AM »
Worry less, write more!

I would tell myself to get medicated and stop self-sabotaging my writing career. I wouldn't have listened so it would be a waste of time but I'd try anyway.

The single biggest thing holding me back is the fact that I cannot be consistent with my production. I do not write regularly. (Although I have times when I write every day for xxx number of days, I inevitably stop, take a long break, then have to start all over again.) Regular writing (and publishing, as a result) would have made a world of difference to where I am at now in my career.
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, R. C., idontknowyet, Jackie, alyson, Nick G

Writer

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:47:10 AM »
I'd tell my younger self to stockpile novel length works in connected series, so that when KDP is invented, I'm first on board with dozens of books to release in the first couple years. I'd tell myself to be less of a perfectionist and just focus on finishing things. And not to waste time looking for agents and publishers because soon I wouldn't need them. Just spend that time writing and saving my manuscripts. Also, to buy stock in Amazon.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, idontknowyet, Jackie, angela, alyson

Vijaya

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 05:40:29 AM »
Remember all those games you played as a kid, making up stories as you watched people? Write them down.
Remember your dream of becoming a physician-turned-writer just like AJ Cronin? Begin writing.
How I wish I'd started earlier and not in mid-life.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 06:26:41 AM »
In all fairness, I was only half joking.

Yes, I took it a such.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

JRTomlin

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 07:43:43 AM »
Most of us have been doing this for years. We have plenty of experience and likely a few regrets.

Imagine you could travel back in time and advise your younger self who is about to start their "indie author" adventure. What advice would you give regarding craft, production, marketing, packaging, etc.?
I'd tell myself (like plenty of other people did) to start a mailing list. 🙄

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Jackie, alyson

Hopscotch

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 07:51:54 AM »
I'd say "Please yourself."  Perhaps travel the world for a stock of adventures and characters to work into novels.  Maybe find one brutally honest critic to read your drafts.  Possibly read a lot to expand your writerly thinking.  But consider that money and success (and being indie), sweet as they are, mean nothing when you're dead.  So please yourself while you're aboveground.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, idontknowyet, Jackie, angela, alyson

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
I'm okay with how things worked out because humans only learn through pain anyway, but I have two regrets:

I wish I'd invested in more real estate.
I wish I'd gotten better at story structure sooner.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Jackie, alyson, Writer

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
I wish I had gotten my website going from day 1. I tried, and tried and tried, but I just couldn't figure it out back then.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 12:45:40 PM »
Try writing dialogue!  It's easier and more fun than you think.  :dog1:

Journalism is not the only way to have a career as a writer.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

LilyBLily

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »
Great question. I've already answered it several times and deleted my answers without posting them. It appears I will keep doing so. I've enjoyed thinking about this.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Jackie

Pemry Janes

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »
Don't worry so much about getting it right. Just write and worry about improving it afterwards.
Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, idontknowyet, Jackie, alyson

cecilia_writer

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Even if you're naturally good at writing, you still have a lot to learn.

(I thought at first about some irrelevant life advice but looking back I would probably make the same mistakes again in these other areas)
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

littleauthor

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
Become a librarian and write on the side.
"Not working to her full potential."

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alyson, LBL, Cindy303

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
I traveled a lot back then as a lecturer and road musician. I wish I'd taken detailed notes about the places I'd been so I wouldn't be counting on a fading memory to the extent I had to in the years that followed..

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alyson

LilyBLily

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »
I traveled a lot back then as a lecturer and road musician. I wish I'd taken detailed notes about the places I'd been so I wouldn't be counting on a fading memory to the extent I had to in the years that followed..

Fading memory really is a problem. I've tried to keep travel diaries but am usually so exhausted at the end of the day during trips that I don't have the energy to write more than a sentence or two, if that. It's one reason I keep souvenirs and guidebooks and maps. I did write the first draft of a novel based on one of my trips, and I wrote it while the trip was very fresh in my memory so it's chock full of details. But I've never finished that novel because it's a mystery and I don't write mysteries, which means I'd have to write two more just to sell one. Argh.   

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alyson

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 10:51:49 PM »
Devise a business plan and stick to it. A regime, a schedule, performance targets ...

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alyson, Cindy303

RiverRun

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
Self: What you write is not who you are.

I did a lot of worrying early on about whether my work was good enough or whether I'd chosen the right genre or whether I ought to write a certain way - and figured out that I was pinning my identity on my early books. I was imagining some sort of stamp of approval if I wrote the 'right' book the right way. I felt like a rejection of my book was a rejection of myself. (I still feel that way, but now I can remind myself it isn't true. Most of the time.) Writing changes with you and takes you to different places. It doesn't have to be the final definitive word on who I am.

I mean, I say that knowing that I am super particular about what goes in my books and what that says about me personally, because I have to be that way. I think honesty is vital to writing. So, I guess I would also tell myself - keep being honest. The road less traveled is there for you to take.

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, alyson

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 07:32:54 PM »
This will sound odd, but it's ultimately meant to be a positive, like, a comment on freedom of expression etc - but I'd say something like "no-one cares, so write whatever you want"

Ashley Capes | website

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, cecilia_writer, alyson

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 09:07:23 PM »
Hey you.

You know those ideas you have in your head that keep popping back in there all the time, driving you nuts? I mean, how often are you going to hear 'Freeze Motherbitch!' before you take it seriously?

Who am I?

I'm you in 2021, telling you in 2006 to start writing all this sh*t down, because in 2008 digital books take off, and by 2013, those riding that wave will do really really well.

I know, I know, you've got spiritual stuff in your head, and the publisher didn't want it, but your future income is writing the space stuff you love so much.

I know, because it's 2021 and I started writing novels in 2014, and that 6 book idea in your head is now 50 plus and still going strong after 7 years.

Yes, your first million words will be crap, but if you start now, by the time you get that written, the wave will begin, and you'll have a dozen novels to use as a surfboard, and two years writing to go back and edit the hell out of them before you release them 1 month apart.

And yes, you're going to be good at this, even though you think no-one will ever read whatever you write.

Okay, so I know you're having a WTF moment, seriously, I am too telling you this, but if you'd started writing novels after the first 2 non-fiction failed to interest the publisher, I wouldn't have gone through a lot of sh*t, and spent so long living on subsistence level income.

Then again, the journey made me who I was when I finally did start writing, and admittedly there was a lot of X3 game playing during that time which helped writing space combat, and maybe without that, the spark wasn't, isn't there yet.

So.....

Forget it. I guess I needed to vent, and who better to vent at than younger me.

Yeah, I know.

WTF?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, alyson

lea_owens

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 07:25:34 AM »
To younger me: Don't wait until your 50s to publish your first book. You always were and always will be a writer - just do it. Stop listening to that negative self talk and stop thinking 'things will happen' just because everyone outside your mind tells you that you're talented, gifted, and brilliant - their praise doesn't make anything happen. Things take place because you stop the negative self talk and make them happen - you wrote the formula on your school books when you were 14: Dream. Plan. Work. Achieve. Then, when you publish, don't get disheartened because, really, you are such a wuss when it comes to giving up easily - keep going. You know that group about publishing 20 books to reach 50k a year? You'll get there in ten books - but bloody well sit down and write them.

To 62 year old me today: you still haven't stopped listening to that negative self talk, have you? Twit. You don't even see yourself as an author even though your books are selling really well. Take some of the advice you're so handy at scattering like birdseed to pigeons - focus on writing and get that 11th book published, then do another four in 2022. You can do this. Imagine what you could be earning at the end of 2022! Stop procrastinating, stop hanging out on Facebook and on writer forums and just write, edit, publish, repeat. You know the formula.

The following users thanked this post: cru, alyson, LBL