Author Topic: A word to the wise  (Read 1359 times)

Marti Talbott

A word to the wise
« on: January 10, 2022, 12:36:20 AM »
For the first few years I wrote historical romance books that followed the same Scottish family from generation to generation. They sold very well, but after some 30 books, I was sick of them and couldn't come up with more plots.

So, I switched to contemporary romance. It's like starting all over again. My readers didn't convert well.

For those starting out, keep that in mind. If you choose a specific genre, you might get stuck with it.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

The following users thanked this post: R. C., cecilia_writer

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: A word to the wise
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:46:05 AM »
For the first few years I wrote historical romance books that followed the same Scottish family from generation to generation. They sold very well, but after some 30 books, I was sick of them and couldn't come up with more plots.

So, I switched to contemporary romance. It's like starting all over again. My readers didn't convert well.

For those starting out, keep that in mind. If you choose a specific genre, you might get stuck with it.

My original idea was supposed to be 6 books, then I had a totally different idea to move on to. I'm still doing the original idea 50+ books on, and the different idea is still only an idea. The wonder is, the ideas keep coming, and the fans keep demanding more.

The last book out there didn't have a good release, because it shifted into contemporary fantasy for the first time, and was shorter. But it's actually sold almost up to expectations anyway, so all I missed out on was ranks. The goof I made was not making it clear it was in the universe and something of a prequel.  But once that was cleared up, partly by a cover change, and then by reviews, it's done fairly normally.

But yeah, you need to really like writing the genre you start with, because changing it can go over really badly with fans. Mine like me changing it up as long as the continuation is there, but a real genre change on something that looked different took a big release day hit.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott, R. C.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:45:26 AM »
I've written in 3 different genres but I think my core group of readers would prefer me to keep churning out books in one particular series - even trying a new series in the same genre has been very slow to get a readership. I have to write some other stuff to keep sane.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 02:42:08 AM »
I've written in 3 different genres but I think my core group of readers would prefer me to keep churning out books in one particular series - even trying a new series in the same genre has been very slow to get a readership. I have to write some other stuff to keep sane.

I also have written in three genres, and I can't tell which attracts my core group of readers. My half dozen true fans read everything I write and love it all. That's half a dozen, not half a million, alas.

The only good thing about continuing a series is we already have the setting and a large cast of characters. I'm writing another novella set in my western romance world right now and it's very easy to get the words out because I know these people, I know their world, and there always are some people from another book in the series I can have show up in this one.

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

cecilia_writer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 02:45:25 AM »

The only good thing about continuing a series is we already have the setting and a large cast of characters. I'm writing another novella set in my western romance world right now and it's very easy to get the words out because I know these people, I know their world, and there always are some people from another book in the series I can have show up in this one.

Yes, I agree - these are the books that seem to be writing themselves! (Though obviously it isn't quite that simple)]
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Marti Talbott

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:48:34 AM »

I also have written in three genres, and I can't tell which attracts my core group of readers. My half dozen true fans read everything I write and love it all. That's half a dozen, not half a million, alas.

I agree, already being familiar with the characters and the 'world' really makes it easier to write the next book. It's a new plot I have problems developing. I even have a list of plot ideas to draw from that I found online. It helps, but it doesn't always provide a new idea. It's a mood thing, I guess.

Lynn

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:52 AM »

For me, it's the opposite. Writing in my series gets harder with every book as the series get longer. I love starting new series or stand alone stories. I love my series, too, but boy has the writing of them become a chore.
Don't rush me.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 04:19:23 AM »

For me, it's the opposite. Writing in my series gets harder with every book as the series get longer. I love starting new series or stand alone stories. I love my series, too, but boy has the writing of them become a chore.
I completely understand. If I were just starting out, I'm not sure what I would change to compensate for that. Perhaps if I had alternated between the two genre in the beginning, I might have helped readers make the switch with me. Too late to know if that would have been a good course of action or not.

Lynn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 04:29:26 AM »

I completely understand. If I were just starting out, I'm not sure what I would change to compensate for that. Perhaps if I had alternated between the two genre in the beginning, I might have helped readers make the switch with me. Too late to know if that would have been a good course of action or not.

I don't know that it would have made a difference. I've written books for similar but slightly off-genre series from the beginning, and currently have 6 series active. The readers don't overlap all that much as far as I can tell. I don't do a lot of calculating, don't track different email list responses, etc, but I have emails and comments from readers that support that view. Call it anecdotal evidence.

There's definitely a big difference in earnings per series which makes it tempting to spend all my time on one, but I can't do it. Don't want to.
Don't rush me.