Author Topic: New AMS/AA Feature - Lockscreen Ads  (Read 6549 times)

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
New AMS/AA Feature - Lockscreen Ads
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »
Curious to see how this works/whether it is effective? As a reader, I feel like it'd bug me unless I was actually looking for something

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/ams/verticals/books/collateral/AMZ31977_NewFeatures_PDF_FINAL._CB459143992_.pdf?ref=1VBAL_NewFeatures_UI_1_Guide

Very interested to check it out anyway!

Ashley Capes | website

VanessaC

Re: New AMS/AA Feature - Lockscreen Ads
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »
Darn it, just as I was about to start getting to grips with AMS, they change it.  Oh, well, at least I can just learn the new system ...

I agree - the "lockscreen" ads would annoy me as a reader.  If I'm firing up my e-reader, I'm wanting to read, not wade through more advertising before I get to read. Of course, I have a fairly old e-reader and it's usually disconnected from the internet, so it may not be an issue for me.

On the other hand, at least if the ads are appearing on e-readers, you'll know (as an author) that you're reaching actual readers.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out over time.

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:41:38 PM »
I've had lockscreen ads on my Kindle Fire all along, if it means what I think it does (a full-screen ad that comes up when you switch on your device and you have to enter your password to get past?), so I am already used to completely ignoring them! However, I did notice quite recently that some of them are for books so I suppose that's part of this change.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
Darn it, just as I was about to start getting to grips with AMS, they change it.  Oh, well, at least I can just learn the new system ...

I agree - the "lockscreen" ads would annoy me as a reader.  If I'm firing up my e-reader, I'm wanting to read, not wade through more advertising before I get to read. Of course, I have a fairly old e-reader and it's usually disconnected from the internet, so it may not be an issue for me.

On the other hand, at least if the ads are appearing on e-readers, you'll know (as an author) that you're reaching actual readers.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out over time.

It seems fairly similar thus far at least :)

(I'll report back (as others will, I hope) and see how it goes if Amazon accept my campaigns that I'm about to trial)

Ashley Capes | website

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
I've had lockscreen ads on my Kindle Fire all along, if it means what I think it does (a full-screen ad that comes up when you switch on your device and you have to enter your password to get past?), so I am already used to completely ignoring them! However, I did notice quite recently that some of them are for books so I suppose that's part of this change.

That sounds like what they're offering, yeah. Maybe they've trialed it for a while and are now opening it up to folks far and wide?

Ashley Capes | website

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:47:57 AM »
Wasn't there always an ad type that would theoretically display on the lockscreen? I've been seeing one at power-up on my Kindle all along. Oddly, it was usually for something I'd never shown any interest in.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:56:42 AM »
It looks like product display ads are being converted to lock screen ads. Nothing has really changed.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:09:16 AM »
It looks like product display ads are being converted to lock screen ads. Nothing has really changed.

Including the $100 buy in.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Virginia McClain

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

Including the $100 buy in.

I have never once used the full $100 budgeted for an ad campaign. Most of my campaigns cost around 2 - 5 dollars. My goal is to figure out what gets a good CTR and then scale up, but I have yet to get a good enough CTR to make it worthwhile. Anyway, just wanted to chime in to let you know that even though the budget says $100 you don't have to use the whole budget at all.

Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs

The following users thanked this post: Lu Kudzoza

The Doctor

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:29:36 PM »

Same, though I've always seen them for books (and ignored them).

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

ilamont

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »
I've had access to Lockscreen ads for a while. Tried them. Zero results.
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

bookworm

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »

Same, though I've always seen them for books (and ignored them).
This ... except when I hit them by mistake.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:04 AM »
So, if the majority of people ignore them, why does Amazon think we’ll fall for paying for them?

guest153

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
So, if the majority of people ignore them, why does Amazon think we’ll fall for paying for them?

You get charged by clicks, not impressions. So Amazon's not charging you for something people are ignoring.

Anarchist

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
Although keyword-based ads are my preference, my numbers show LS ads definitely work. I'm building more.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 07:40:55 PM »

You get charged by clicks, not impressions. So Amazon’s not charging you for something people are ignoring.

Yeah, thanks Perry. You’re right, of course, and I’m really not up to speed on ads and all the terminology used.

I think what I was trying to say was, why do Amazon offer, and why would authors set up, ads that are (by and large) so often ignored?

guest153

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
Yeah, thanks Perry. You’re right, of course, and I’m really not up to speed on ads and all the terminology used.

I think what I was trying to say was, why do Amazon offer, and why would authors set up, ads that are (by and large) so often ignored?

Then don't use them. Makes them cheaper for me.  grint

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
So far my 2 lock-screen campaigns (one for epic fantasy & one not) are going okay, early days of course, but better than my regular campaigns at the moment (possibly because I have a somewhat more aggressive bid)

Ashley Capes | website